Nightshifters

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
either hit up the grocery store and get some premade meals or if im staying at home and working i will meal prep my lunches for 3 days at a time.

sometimes ill just go to a restaurant and just order 2 entrees, one for dinner and one for lunch. I find its actually cheaper to do this than it is to go to the grocery store and try to eat healthy.

Decker9

WKR
I swing shift days/nights 6 to 6, night shift food that doesn’t drag me down is always a challenge, especially when my lady’s also on late shift.

Something I always have a stock of is jarred/canned moose in the pantry, makes an easy lunch/snack on night shift when a guy doesn’t have time to cook or prep. Either on crackers bread or straight from the jar.

I do hand out the odd jar to guys on shift, if I put a open jar in the fridge, I gotta be sure to write muskrat or something on it to keep’m out of it lol.

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Used to hit up IHOP, gas stations, in and out... since January I have successfully meal prepped...
With the help of my wife anyway... a ton healthier now and saving $. Highly suggest putting the effort into it...but its definitely a lot of work as I do help.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I meal prep, usually whatever was last nights meal if I am close by to home or if I am in a hotel I usually prep what is needed.

What does everyone do for fairly healthy non drag me down snacks.

It’s either leftovers from dinner or pack PB and J and fruit.

Since I switched to nights about 7 months ago, I’ve found that I eat healthier and I save money. I don’t ever eat in the cafeteria and I eat way more fruit now, for some reason.

cmahoney

WKR
Egg whites in the carton and cheese in a microwave egg cooker. That combo keeps me from getting too hungry along with different meat. I started eating my body weight in grams of protein a few months ago. It’s helped my sleep during the day and keeps me feeling full longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled mids for 20 years. Lunch was the same as it is now in a day shift, whatever will keep through the day.

After that long on mids I discovered in my late 40s circadian rhythm is a real thing. Life quality improved dramatically going to days.

Took two decades to get the seniority to do it, but I can't encourage it enough. As soon as you are able live life sunup to sundown, not the other way around. I know it isn't always practical with every job but it is a dramatic shift once you get used to it.

It's amazing what improvements in life and relationships you will see.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I’m super lucky that I work 2 weeks on, then 2 weeks off and I rotate each shift between days and nights. So essentially I get 6 weeks of days and 2 weeks of nights. Going into nightshift ain’t too bad, but coming off nights to days really sucks. It takes me 3-4 days before I’m back to a normal schedule.

What does everyone do for fairly healthy non drag me down snacks.

I work swing shift 7-7. On nights I usually try not to snack but it's inevitable the more sleep deprived I get.

Cheese sticks (colby or mozzarella) and snack sticks of some sort (not slimjims or jack links though). I also try to keep shelled pistachios or peanuts around too, having to crack a shell keeps me from just handfulling. Grapes and blueberries are good too.
Another good thing I've found is the mini bags of popcorn.

If you have time to make them the peanut butter protein balls with oats and chocolate chips make a good sweet power snack.

Definitely coffee but some teas aren't bad either and changes things up a bit

Wyo_hntr

WKR
What are you doing for meals/snacks over night? I work 7p-7a
I worked 2200-0800 for 5yrs. Outside of a protein shake after working out at 2100, I didn't eat until 0800 when I got home. Then again when I woke up at 1600.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Night shift food is tough, literally everything taste bad except for Taco Bell and chocolate donuts. And at least for me, it does not matter how much I eat, I am always hungry for the entire shift.

I found just forcing myself to eat a 1/2 pound of plain and unseasoned ground beef by itself was at least unappetizing enough to get me to stop eating even if I was still hungry, while being fairly healthy.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I eat regular dinner with the family then either eat left overs or I pack a salad, I also like to crock pot chicken and roast bell peppers onions and sweet potato and take that, usually eat an apple or similar for a snack, nights shift is a pita to eat healthy

I work day shifts and night shifts. 630-630. I hate it. Definitely screws my body up but my diet never changes, just the time. Normal food, leftovers etc. Fruit to help with sweets cravings, and i enjoy fruit anyway.. and caffeine as well. Coffee and pre workout. Don't buy energy drinks, too expensive.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk