Nightforce SHV Reticle Advice

Unckebob

WKR
I am thinking of buying a NF SHV in 4- p14, but haven't decided on the appropriate hunting reticle.

I am looking for a scope that is tough and SFP. I might take some longer shots, but this will never be used for ELR hunting or competition.

My main concern is finding a reticle that has an easy to see reticle.
- The MIL XT looks very busy with lots of hard to distinguish lines.
- The MOAR looks about right, but how hard is it to see the center cross?
- I have no idea how to use a F1 reticle.

I am thinking of buying a NF SHV in 4- p14, but haven't decided on the appropriate hunting reticle.

I am looking for a scope that is tough and SFP. I might take some longer shots, but this will never be used for ELR hunting or competition.

My main concern is finding a reticle that has an easy to see reticle.
- The MIL XT looks very busy with lots of hard to distinguish lines.
- The MOAR looks about right, but how hard is it to see the center cross?
- I have no idea how to use a F1 reticle.

Using mil reticle in F1 is pretty simple. Here’s some easy reading, enjoy!

JRob#33

FNG
I previously owned the SHV with MOAR reticle and very much enjoyed having FFP with only the center cross being illuminated (not hard to see for me with 20/20 vision.) I should've kept the scope for hunting to be honest as my NXS and NX8 both have reticles that are completely illuminated. This becomes annoying during low light conditions as they produce a glow effect even on the lowest setting and I think just the center cross would be better suited for my wants.

JFK

WKR
OP, do you currently shoot in Mil or MOA? Neither the Mil-r and MOAR are perfect, but still very usable. If you have a strong bias towards mil or moa I’d let that decide for you unless you want to change.

Regarding the moar reticle and how easy it is to see the center. It’s pretty easy. Maybe a tad harder than a standard duplex against dark, mixed up background, but very usable. I have only used the illumination while hunting once, and even then, it wasn’t 100% needed, but did help some. My main gripe with the reticle is that it doesn’t draw you see to the center as well as it could. 20 moa wind holds are not needed…ever. 30 moa holds for drop are not needed…ever. They should have made the horizontal and vertical posts more bold closer to the center and it would have time to get on target faster.