Nightforce 4-16x42mm ATACR Field Evaluation Q&A

Lawnboi

WKR
How's the F1 MOAR reticle work for hunting? Not on the Mil bandwagon so this appears to be the only option in MOA.
Jump on the mil bandwagon before you spend that much on a scope only to realize you want to swap them all to mils when you figure out mph rifle wind brackets. I have one minute scope left, and I know I’ll lose money on it.

Jump on the mil bandwagon before you spend that much on a scope only to realize you want to swap them all to mils when you figure out mph rifle wind brackets. I have one minute scope left, and I know I’ll lose money on it.
Well if it's a 4-16x42 ATACR, I'll buy it at a steep discount.

Lawnboi

WKR
Well if it's a 4-16x42 ATACR, I'll buy it at a steep discount.
Euro optic has a mil r demo 42mm atacr right now.

I want one bad, but my scope budget has been blown for the year already on an nx8.

If you qualify for any of the discount programs, even better deals can be had.

If you havnt looked into calling wind via placing a mph on your rifle/bullet, it’s worth it to look into. It’s a very fast way to make that guess.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
After having the 4-16 atacr next to a 4-32 nx8 I'm having a hard time understanding the benefit of the atacr. Nx8 is lighter, fits 30mm rings, still NF durable, costs less and has 32 power. Admittedly I'll shoot it like a 4-16 but I couldn't find anything I liked better about the atacr minus the locking turret. Both reticles seemed equally usable. Am grossly wrong in my assessment or missing something about the atacr @Formidilosus

SDHNTR

WKR
I found the eyebox on the NX8 way too tight. I like hunting scopes that are easier to get behind. I’d back up the truck for an NX4, 5 or 6. The 8 is just too much zoom range in that package.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I found the eyebox on the NX8 way too tight. I like hunting scopes that are easier to get behind. I’d back up the truck for an NX4, 5 or 6. The 8 is just too much zoom range in that package.
You thought the 4-32 was tight while in the 4-16 range? I didn't even think it was bad at 32

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
After having the 4-16 atacr next to a 4-32 nx8 I'm having a hard time understanding the benefit of the atacr. Nx8 is lighter, fits 30mm rings, still NF durable, costs less and has 32 power. Admittedly I'll shoot it like a 4-16 but I couldn't find anything I liked better about the atacr minus the locking turret. Both reticles seemed equally usable. Am grossly wrong in my assessment or missing something about the atacr @Formidilosus

First, the “issues” with the 4-32x are way blown out of proportion and seem to be more about that people are told “it’s critical” and then they see what they want to see. The MK5 3.8-18x is praised as having a good eyebox, and while it is certainly usable- it isn’t anything special and the NX8 has it matched or beat on like powers except for forgiving eye relief. Every person side by side that has looked at the 4-32x and MK5 that I have here has said the same thing. The 2.5-20c is a bit critical if used at 18-20x, the 4-32c though is about as good as most scopes.

As for between the 4-16x ATACR and 4-32x NX8-

Size is one. The NX8 is not a small scope.

E53A1901-A337-4864-A3A3-3266CEF56A7A.jpeg

The eye relief on most powers is more forgiving than the NX8, eye box is similar on 16x, better on the ATACR on lower powers. The locking elevation turret is good, the “glass” has just a bit more color pop. That’s about it.

Admittedly it might be making mountains out of molehills, but it’s there.

SDHNTR

WKR
You thought the 4-32 was tight while in the 4-16 range? I didn't even think it was bad at 32
I should have clarified, I’ve not had a chance to look through the 4-32. My comments were about the 2.5-20.

What rings would you use for 34mm tube on a Tikka?

I’ve used both the Nightforce Ultralights with a pic rail, and the Hawkins Hybrids (direct mount) with my ATACR 4-16. Both have been solid for me. The pic rail is from Mountian Tactical and has the arrester pin… as do the Hawkins I think (if not they screw directly into the top… seems like it would do the same thing)

The Hawkins have been on there since they released them. And lots of tough miles and rounds later they are still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCMCUBIC

WKR
So all we need to do is convince our favorite nightforce forum sponsor to order a batch up with a perfect custom hunting reticle.

I'm in for a 2.5-10x42. Plain old mildot, a mildot with .5 mil hashes, or one resembling the Tangent Theta's 3 mil per side with .5's as well (best option). ....but...SOLID OUTER BARS and only the inner most 1 mil illuminated.

Would love it in FFP but that might reduce the chances of it happening.

After typing that, if they took the FC-MIL reticle in the 1-8 NX8 and replaced the inner circle/dot with a fine illuminated cross (with lower NXS digillum) or dot it wouldn't be a bad starting point. My preference of even spaced upper and lower bars matching the sides for my use but I understand some like the open upper. Could be a very usable reticle.

On a very quick/crude scale, something like:
DoItNF.jpg

Well I bought into the hype and found a good deal on a used one of these. It looks a little chunky on top of my rifle, mostly since I'm used to 30mm tubes, but I put it in a set of M10 ARC rings. Now to just get out and shoot and see how it holds up.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well I bought into the hype and found a good deal on a used one of these. It looks a little chunky on top of my rifle, mostly since I'm used to 30mm tubes, but I put it in a set of M10 ARC rings. Now to just get out and shoot and see how it holds up.
I hear ya. If they made the atacr in a 30 mil tube I'd buy one right now. I have no need for 34mm as a hunter, and I'd like better glass than the NXS line offers.

I hear ya. If they made the atacr in a 30 mil tube I'd buy one right now. I have no need for 34mm as a hunter, and I'd like better glass than the NXS line offers.
Just get a NX8 4-32x50 and just ignore the top half. Although, I would like to see an NX6 4-24x42 in a 30mm tube. 8x erector is ridiculous.

SDHNTR

WKR
Just get a NX8 4-32x50 and just ignore the top half. Although, I would like to see an NX6 4-24x42 in a 30mm tube. 8x erector is ridiculous.
That’s the exact reason why I don’t own an NX8. I have fiddled with the 2.5 - 20, and did not like the eye box at all. They just tried to. do too much in too compact of a package. I agree, I have no use for anything more than a 6X erector. If someone really wants big zoom, March does it much better.

What rings would you use for 34mm tube on a Tikka?

I used APA rings, .856 height. The lowest I could find 34 mm rings. This sits on top of mountain tactical rail. I don’t like my scopes with a big gap between objective and barrel.

I wish I could find a set of direct mounts to fit.

The spuhr does make 34mm tikka direct mounts , but the erector housing on this scope is too big to fit in their lowest mounts.

Tier -one makes a direct mount 34 mm for tikka, but they don’t recommend for magnum rifles which makes me question their reliability.

Attachments

• ED1DE23F-1C9E-4BC3-A105-8FB885E5D059.jpeg
    ED1DE23F-1C9E-4BC3-A105-8FB885E5D059.jpeg
    620 KB · Views: 188

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
@Formidilosus my Atacr looked exactly like that- I thought it was cracked but ended up just being an adhesive issue after sitting in the car on a hot TN day. Apparently the atacrs had a run with defective adhesives. NF got me fixed up quick.

No doubt Forms knows his optics and I certainly don't doubt he could crack one, but for others seeing the same don't freak out- it may be an easy fix.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_142750.jpg
    IMG_20200806_142750.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I am currently new scope shopping. Just read this whole thread start to finish. Lots good data, lots of good member comment, lots of pros & cons, lots of comparisons, and lots of first hand experiences. My final cognitive assessment is my head is spinning and I couldn’t pick one or the other if all choices were offered to me for free! 😆. Paralysis of analysis!