Nightforce 4-16x42mm ATACR Field Evaluation Q&A

BAKPAKR

WKR
What kind of hunting and rifle is it a top choice for, and how is the reticle, in the timber, at around 6X?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What kind of hunting and rifle is it a top choice for, and how is the reticle, in the timber, at around 6X?

None of them are what I’d consider “good” for close range low light use. They’re usable most times, and with illumination they are of course visible. As tdbaugha stated, the Mil-R is the most visible- though again the increments are not ideal. Used as a standard .5 mil reticle it’s fine.

BAKPAKR

WKR
None of them are what I’d consider “good” for close range low light use. They’re usable most times, and with illumination they are of course visible. As tdbaugha stated, the Mil-R is the most visible- though again the increments are not ideal. Used as a standard .5 mil reticle it’s fine.
I realize the NF reticles work fine when the illumination is on but turning that on is an extra step before the shot. I wish they would offer something with heavier lines like the SWFA mil-quad - not to replace the MIL-R or MOAR reticles, but as an alternative.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I realize the NF reticles work fine when the illumination is on but turning that on is an extra step before the shot. I wish they would offer something with heavier lines like the SWFA mil-quad - not to replace the MIL-R or MOAR reticles, but as an alternative.

So do I.

BjornF16

WKR
This “Baby” ATACR has fully illuminated reticle while the SHV 4-14 F1 has center cross only illuminated.

Which would be better choice for general hunting to include close shots in dark background?

I run this scope, but with the MIL-R. At lower powers and low light, it can be hard to see, not impossible. I find the illumination super quick to use as it's just a button to push not a knob to turn. I can turn it on with my off hand as I'm raising my rifle.

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed. I’d buy at least 3 if they had a clean vertical wire and wind holds on the horizontal. And since we’re dreaming big, shave 6-10 oz too!

SDHNTR

WKR
Lite and ultra reliable don't go hand in hand.
At current, you are right, but I refuse to believe that is an absolute truth. We’ve been sending man into space for 50+ years. It can be done. I just don’t think anyone is trying hard enough, because we consumers keep accepting 2 pound scopes.

At current, you are right, but I refuse to believe that is an absolute truth. We’ve been sending man into space for 50+ years. It can be done. I just don’t think anyone is trying hard enough, because we consumers keep accepting 2 pound scopes.
I can attest to the ruggedness/durability of this scope, and the 8oz penalty is weight well spent. Its a good feeling having confidence the rifle is still "on" after a few spills on the mountain.