NF SHV F1 vs Maven RS1.2

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
****Thread derailment coming***
did you say June for a new Maven 1.2? I certainly hope not. I have NEEDS for 2 additional 1.2’s.

rharbaugh

WKR
Boo, I'd let you play with both if you were near.

The warm fuzzy might be what 6oz of a Nightforce SHV F1 gets you.

I don't believe Maven is at any risk of folding up shop; I think they are very very healthy. I do understand your concern about the product line possibly changing and equate that possibility to the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS lines, or any scope from Nikon. Ask @TheCougar about his recent Bushnell experience.

I have one RS1.2 that I will probably hunt with if I snag a rifle tag, four SHV F1s now, and a 10x SFWA side focus that's on the kid's rimfire, with an additional RS1.2 on loan to @Ucsdryder. With pic rails on all rifles I can switch out a potential problem child in a few minutes and be rezeroed quicker than most oil changes. I genuinely do like the SHVs and really only ended up with the Mavens because the opportunity to review fell in my lap.

With that luxury of being happy scope flush, I don't have your same concerns. If that were weighing on me, the NF is the easy button of "durability" but (subjectively) may not be the most ideal reticle/zero set/weight. The Maven (subjectively) may be more ideal in those areas and that's what I would make my decision on.

If I had a rifle and a scope to procure I might feel safer with the NF and not NEED to worry about my scope in functional fashion. I might at some point get a hankering for lighter or a "better" reticle down the road as a WANT.

I too sent a 6x SWFA back for being very broken and that's how I ended up with the 10x side focus. My brother got restationed here locally and just bought a house off base so now he has his own rifle. He put a 10x side focus SWFA on it knowing he has my stuff as a parachute if it goes wonky.

If I were spending your money, I'd look at if you have an "old reliable" or not (or access to one) that can you have you back in the game within a day and let that make my decision. I THINK the RS1.2 has a really good chance of being described that way in a few years, but it still a rookie.
Thanks @sndmn11. Looks like I vacillated too long and the RS1.2 is out of stock again. I'll grab a Trijicon Tenmile or SHV and shoot it for the spring/summer, then keep it around for that "old reliable" set up.

****Thread derailment coming***
did you say June for a new Maven 1.2? I certainly hope not. I have NEEDS for 2 additional 1.2’s.
That's what the guy said when I called Maven to ask. I don't know how accurate his estimate is but that's all the info I got.

JustSeth

FNG
The Maven RS1.2 is very similar to the SHV 4-14x50 F1. Similar price. Similar magnification. Both available in Mils. Maven is 4 oz lighter, 6mm smaller objective lens, fraction of an inch shorter.

Other than differences in reticles, why is the Maven the scope du jour when it isn’t really markedly different than the NF? Is there another difference I’m missing?
I believe another significant reason is because it passed the drop test: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-rs1-2-2-5-15x44mm-field-eval.338756/#post-3419581

matthewmt

WKR
I've had 2 ten miles and recently a 4-14 shv, they both solid. I think I would ultimately prefer the trijicon but the shv does what it's supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ereffett

FNG
Boo, I'd let you play with both if you were near.

The warm fuzzy might be what 6oz of a Nightforce SHV F1 gets you.

I don't believe Maven is at any risk of folding up shop; I think they are very very healthy. I do understand your concern about the product line possibly changing and equate that possibility to the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS lines, or any scope from Nikon. Ask @TheCougar about his recent Bushnell experience.

I have one RS1.2 that I will probably hunt with if I snag a rifle tag, four SHV F1s now, and a 10x SFWA side focus that's on the kid's rimfire, with an additional RS1.2 on loan to @Ucsdryder. With pic rails on all rifles I can switch out a potential problem child in a few minutes and be rezeroed quicker than most oil changes. I genuinely do like the SHVs and really only ended up with the Mavens because the opportunity to review fell in my lap.

With that luxury of being happy scope flush, I don't have your same concerns. If that were weighing on me, the NF is the easy button of "durability" but (subjectively) may not be the most ideal reticle/zero set/weight. The Maven (subjectively) may be more ideal in those areas and that's what I would make my decision on.

If I had a rifle and a scope to procure I might feel safer with the NF and not NEED to worry about my scope in functional fashion. I might at some point get a hankering for lighter or a "better" reticle down the road as a WANT.

I too sent a 6x SWFA back for being very broken and that's how I ended up with the 10x side focus. My brother got restationed here locally and just bought a house off base so now he has his own rifle. He put a 10x side focus SWFA on it knowing he has my stuff as a parachute if it goes wonky.

If I were spending your money, I'd look at if you have an "old reliable" or not (or access to one) that can you have you back in the game within a day and let that make my decision. I THINK the RS1.2 has a really good chance of being described that way in a few years, but it still a rookie.
Does your opinion of the RS1.2 change much if you go up a tier in comparison say to a NF NX8? Would the extra $800 be worth the cost jump?

sndmn11

WKR
Does your opinion of the RS1.2 change much if you go up a tier in comparison say to a NF NX8? Would the extra $800 be worth the cost jump?

Not for me.

I also see "tiers" as probably works and probably doesn't work. In my eyes, the RS1.2 is in the same tier as my SHVs, and an NX8. I've never thought about owning an NX8 because I get what I need out of those SHVs for less, and the same can be said about the RS1.2 so far.

I think I can do a lot of things for $800.

ereffett

FNG
Not for me.

I also see "tiers" as probably works and probably doesn't work. In my eyes, the RS1.2 is in the same tier as my SHVs, and an NX8. I've never thought about owning an NX8 because I get what I need out of those SHVs for less, and the same can be said about the RS1.2 so far.

I think I can do a lot of things for $800.
Thanks for the feedback. Agreed on spending the $800 somewhere else! Based on your testing, and maybe affirming the drop testing that was already done, any issues with the RS1.2 on fairly rugged hunts (i.e. backpack mountain goat in AK)

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. Agreed on spending the $800 somewhere else! Based on your testing, and maybe affirming the drop testing that was already done, any issues with the RS1.2 on fairly rugged hunts (i.e. backpack mountain goat in AK)

I've never been to AK or hunted mountain goat. I think I'd worry about my legs, rain gear, and down 100x before worrying about the scopes I own.

ereffett

FNG
I've never been to AK or hunted mountain goat. I think I'd worry about my legs, rain gear, and down 100x before worrying about the scopes I own.
Fair advice - all of those much more likely to fail first.

sndmn11

WKR
Fair advice - all of those much more likely to fail first.
I believe the rs1.2 is the most notoriously tested scope on Rokslide in both content and sample size. If you have an epic hunt coming up and you like the scope, just buy one when available. You can over analyze all sorts of things and still have a million variables out of your control.

I don't think the rs1.2 is coming up short, it's still a mechanical something, but I like the odds of one working and would spend my brain power solving for other necessities.

Weldor

WKR
I know what you mean, I've had a few Bushnell Elite 6500's that wore out. they warrantied them no problem. I did have concerns since they were discontinued. They sent me the lastest and greatest of that series. I hope Maven would do the same. My concerns lately is the trend to start out with Japenese manufacturing then shift to P.I. or S. Korea. Crimson trace did it. Had really good glass for the money ,then moved manufacturing.
I’m looking at getting one of these two scopes, but the old soul in me keeps me from loving the maven. My concern is, “what is the longevity of the maven product line?” Say in the next 1, 3, 5, or 10 years, is maven going to continue to enhance and maintain the quality of the RS1.2? I’m not an expert, but Nightforce has a reputation for quality products, while maven is the latest, shiny thing to pass [mention]Formidilosus [/mention]drop test.

Tangentially, I had a SWFA 6x that I broke. Now I’m stuck with an in store credit for SWFA and no idea if/when they’re going to restock the 6x. And, if they do, will it be of the same quality as the previous production model?

So there lies my concern with maven. Say I break it in the next 3 years and they have discontinued the RS1.2. Will I be SOL with inferior product line compared to Nightforce?

Again, im no expert. Im most likely over analyzing this. If I’ve overlooked anything, please let me know where I went wrong.

What’s your thoughts [mention]sndmn11 [/mention] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCnc3

FNG
I can't predict whether Maven will maintain/enhance things but they appear to be doing all the right things so far. As far as THAT comparison to Nightforce, what has NF done to advance things lately? The SHV line came out in the mid 2010's and hasn't undergone much if any revision at all other than an F1 model and exposed elevation turrets for some. Their reticles, by and large, still suck for hunting even though the H in SHV stands for hunting. Their optical quality isn't bad but other players have caught up. The SHV line doesn't have a true mechanical zero-stop either, instead using the turret housing itself as a kind-of zero-stop which is annoying.

If it weren't for Nightforce's neglect I don't think Trijicon or Maven would have gotten a foothold at the SHV pricepoint. I've had/sold a few SHVs and the next scope I buy at that pricepoint will be an RS1.2 without a doubt. Though I talked to Maven and they said they expect to have the MIL version of the RS1.2 back in stock around June. They didn't anticipate anything close to this demand for it.
I'm just getting into the research, so curious about this. Seems there's quite a few options at this price point now and the RS1.2 is the current hotness. Is the reticle really that much better than all the others? I love competition in business, it typically pushes innovation when things get stale, which it sounds like NF fell into from what you said.

I'm just getting into the research, so curious about this. Seems there's quite a few options at this price point now and the RS1.2 is the current hotness. Is the reticle really that much better than all the others? I love competition in business, it typically pushes innovation when things get stale, which it sounds like NF fell into from what you said.
It’s been covered a lot in the all the other NF vs Maven type threads. But the general consensus is that yes, it is better. I used a Mil R reticle for 4 or 5 years and a mil quad SWFA before and after that and I think the Maven reticle is better than both. No silly gaps. The box around the center aiming dot is super intuitive. It can be seen at low and high power easily.

JCnc3

FNG
It’s been covered a lot in the all the other NF vs Maven type threads. But the general consensus is that yes, it is better. I used a Mil R reticle for 4 or 5 years and a mil quad SWFA before and after that and I think the Maven reticle is better than both. No silly gaps. The box around the center aiming dot is super intuitive. It can be seen at low and high power easily.
Gotcha, makes sense. I'm into the reticle part of my learning curve now so that's helpful. Thanks!