NF SHV 4-14x, Viper PST 3-15x, or Arken EPL-4 4-16x?

ct78

FNG
Hello there, this is my first post here. I’m a big outdoorsman with an interest in long range. I’ll also be moving to Boise in the next year and would like to fine tune my 5.56.

I currently use a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with a TMR Firedot reticle. I love the weight and clarity, but the SFP and reticle leave a little to be desired.

I’m looking at options that are under $1K with a little bump in magnification. So far the top contenders look like:
- Nightforce SHV 4-14x Mil F1
- Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x
(I see a nice one in the classifieds that I can’t even reach out to since I’m new!)
-Trijicon Credo 2-10x FFP
- Arken EPL-4 4-16x FFP

These range from most to least expensive. My priorities are the FFP Mil reticle and durability. I have recently read the field evaluations and they’ve sort of spooked me with how many scopes fail the testing. Is my only choice to go for an SHV if I want it to be able to stand a 3 foot drop?

I also plan to sell my VX-R once I have enough time and posts here in the forum. I appreciate any and all advice!

RWT

WKR
NF, Trij, Maven 1.2 and SWFA are all in the running. If I needed one today I would go with a Trijicon Credo on the 2x10 FFP mil for the budget or the NF used. I have the NF’s SHV 14x’s on 2 AR’s but they are the MOA model. If not maybe wait for the SWFA to launch their new models.

TonyDS

FNG
I have a lot of interest in this thread as well. My current front runner is the NF, after reading the write ups it seems great.

OP
ct78

ct78

FNG
NF, Trij, Maven 1.2 and SWFA are all in the running. If I needed one today I would go with a Trijicon Credo on the 2x10 FFP mil for the budget or the NF used. I have the NF’s SHV 14x’s on 2 AR’s but they are the MOA model. If not maybe wait for the SWFA to launch their new models.
That makes sense from a reliability perspective. I actually didn’t know Maven was so well regarded. It must be a brand that gets more love here.

I’m strongly leaning towards the NF route. I don’t have ATACR money but I think I can pony up for the SHV!

Matt5266

WKR
That makes sense from a reliability perspective. I actually didn’t know Maven was so well regarded. It must be a brand that gets more love here.

I’m strongly leaning towards the NF route. I don’t have ATACR money but I think I can pony up for the SHV!
It's now officially clear you just joined yesterday, welcome.

OP
ct78

ct78

FNG
It's now officially clear you just joined yesterday, welcome.
I can’t front any other way! I’m glad to be here. I’m entering into my backing / ruck/ hunt era and this seems like the place to be. Hard to find any other forums that have dedicated threads for sleep systems alone

OP
ct78

ct78

FNG
What do you all think of the PST Gen II 2-10?

It seems like a very practical scope for a 5.56 that’s well-built. Have people generally been satisfied with the PST II lineup?

Cgray97

FNG

It seems like a very practical scope for a 5.56 that’s well-built. Have people generally been satisfied with the PST II lineup?
They are great scopes in my opinion although I don’t have experience with the 2-10. I’ve got a pst gen 2 3-15 up for grabs. Just looking to go back to moa and drop some weight for a lightweight build

OP
ct78

ct78

FNG
They are great scopes in my opinion although I don’t have experience with the 2-10. I’ve got a pst gen 2 3-15 up for grabs. Just looking to go back to moa and drop some weight for a lightweight build
Thank you! It’s weird how the hive mind has decided that a light breeze will break a Vortex scope, which I personally know not to be true.

I do value a low end magnification for a 5.56 set-up, so I found a deal on a 2-10x that im planning on going with. Had I been able to use the PM feature, I’d have likely messaged you on that 3-15x! My Leupold is Mils otherwise I’d recommend you try out their VX-R line.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider

I think the PST Gen2s are all excellent scopes, I've spent a lot of time with all models except for the 2-10.

I've got a lot of mileage behind my 3-15 and it's one of my favorite scopes.
The only thing I don't like about it is the exposed windage. I've taken to taping the turret now but just wish it was capped.

If you are going FFP and using for hunting try find the EBR 2c or 2d reticle, they are thicker than the 7c reticle and the illumination is better (not full tree).

JGRaider

WKR
Hello there, this is my first post here. I’m a big outdoorsman with an interest in long range. I’ll also be moving to Boise in the next year and would like to fine tune my 5.56.

I currently use a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with a TMR Firedot reticle. I love the weight and clarity, but the SFP and reticle leave a little to be desired.

I’m looking at options that are under $1K with a little bump in magnification. So far the top contenders look like:
- Nightforce SHV 4-14x Mil F1
- Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x
(I see a nice one in the classifieds that I can’t even reach out to since I’m new!)
-Trijicon Credo 2-10x FFP
- Arken EPL-4 4-16x FFP

These range from most to least expensive. My priorities are the FFP Mil reticle and durability. I have recently read the field evaluations and they’ve sort of spooked me with how many scopes fail the testing. Is my only choice to go for an SHV if I want it to be able to stand a 3 foot drop?

I also plan to sell my VX-R once I have enough time and posts here in the forum. I appreciate any and all advice!
Take the drop tests with a grain of salt. I've got a couple of the Arken 4-16's and they've been great on a 6.5PRC and 7mm08. My son has the same experience with his on a 260 Rem.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! It’s weird how the hive mind has decided that a light breeze will break a Vortex scope, which I personally know not to be true.

I do value a low end magnification for a 5.56 set-up, so I found a deal on a 2-10x that im planning on going with. Had I been able to use the PM feature, I’d have likely messaged you on that 3-15x! My Leupold is Mils otherwise I’d recommend you try out their VX-R line.
Shot vortex scopes(AMG and Razor 3) in lost boys and border wars (PReSque) matches for years. I did very well with them. It was nothing (as in almost every match) to watch the paint marks on stage 1 with freshly painted targets and need a .2 mil zero adjustment. They don't hold zero. The shifts are small enough that you will not see them with an average gun unless you shoot a lot of shots per group. With a true 1/2 moa to 3/4 moa gun you can see the shift in a few shots. It's not a big shift if you are only shooting 250 yards, but at 600-800 yards it is much more significant.