Newish Fly Reels

CoStick

WKR
Another reel you may want to consider at your price point in the Lamson Lightspeed M, as well as the Cobalt. I have the cobalt (got it before the lightspeed came out) in the 11/12wt and it is a tank- no complaints whatsoever. The new lightspeed has the same drag as the cobalt but at a much lighter weight. I've considered putting one on my bonefish rod. They have the only independently tested, truly sealed drag.

The drag is also indexed, and has a single rotation (at least on my cobalt) so you can set it to the same place every time.

That said it's hard to argue with the pedigree of the tibor- you just about can't mess one up.
I am looking at the light speed for a 6wt bonefish rod I use in Cozumel. The weight/stats look great

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Another reel you may want to consider at your price point in the Lamson Lightspeed M, as well as the Cobalt. I have the cobalt (got it before the lightspeed came out) in the 11/12wt and it is a tank- no complaints whatsoever. The new lightspeed has the same drag as the cobalt but at a much lighter weight. I've considered putting one on my bonefish rod. They have the only independently tested, truly sealed drag.

The drag is also indexed, and has a single rotation (at least on my cobalt) so you can set it to the same place every time.

That said it's hard to argue with the pedigree of the tibor- you just about can't mess one up.

I have almost no experience with Lamson. I mostly ( probably incorrectly) always associated them kind of entry level reel and really haven’t paid much attention to their offerings. I will check them out no though. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I have almost no experience with Lamson. I mostly ( probably incorrectly) always associated them kind of entry level reel and really haven’t paid much attention to their offerings. I will check them out no though. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I would definitely encourage you to check them out- they ride on most of all of my rods from trout, musky, bass stripers, bones, and tarpon. Great customer service, made in Idaho. I considered them mostly a freshwater reel manufacturer (trout/bass/light salt) but the new sealed conical drag that rides in the cobalt is impressive- I have yet to tame a big tarpon with it- but It kicked a 60# tarpons butt.

Last edited:

UCFJed

FNG
Nautilus reels are great. I’ve never been too impressed with Abel reels for the price. They offer some cool graphics but then you end up with a 250.00 reel that cost 1200.00.

I’m a fan of Ross reels but from what you mentioned, I’d probably focus on the nautilus. Orvis stuff is….ok, I had a recon rod set up with a mirage reel for awhile and it wasn’t bad but like most shit orvis makes its nothing to write home about. If you like the orvis brand, their stuff is great. If you have access to lots of high end stuff, you quickly realize that when you buy orvis, you pay for the name.
I know this thread is about reels, and I agree the Orvis reels are nothing special, but I’d argue the Helios series for rods is top notch, even when compared to competitor’s rods.

Flyjunky

WKR
I've been a nautilus, Abel, Hatch, and Bauer dealer for years. I've used and own all of them along with a few other brands. My favorites are Hatch and Bauer for 9' rods. The hatch weighing more but just like scopes, there is a reason for that.

You've already received some great info but I would honestly add the Bauer RX to your list as well...so silky smooth.

Nautilus reels are great. I’ve never been too impressed with Abel reels for the price. They offer some cool graphics but then you end up with a 250.00 reel that cost 1200.00.

I’m a fan of Ross reels but from what you mentioned, I’d probably focus on the nautilus. Orvis stuff is….ok, I had a recon rod set up with a mirage reel for awhile and it wasn’t bad but like most shit orvis makes its nothing to write home about. If you like the orvis brand, their stuff is great. If you have access to lots of high end stuff, you quickly realize that when you buy orvis, you pay for the name.
As someone who has access to lots of high end stuff- most of their fly-fishing gear is pretty solid. The H2, and now h3 is one of the best casting fly rods I've ever cast. In the past they've made some questionable gear but they've got a good crew designing their fly-fishing gear now. I would totally agree that you pay for the Orvis name in alot of their lifestyle gear, but their fly-fishing equipment is pretty competitive.

Clarktar

WKR
I feel like the Redington grande is probably the "swfa" of the reels. Affordable and just plain works. Nor super sexy, not ultra light, but works. Got mine today and look forward to abusing it the next couple weeks.

I've always been a huge fan of their waders and customer service.

I like that review trial. Interesting to see the scores for the behemoth.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
As someone who has access to lots of high end stuff- most of their fly-fishing gear is pretty solid. The H2, and now h3 is one of the best casting fly rods I've ever cast. In the past they've made some questionable gear but they've got a good crew designing their fly-fishing gear now. I would totally agree that you pay for the Orvis name in alot of their lifestyle gear, but their fly-fishing equipment is pretty competitive.

I got a 5wt 9ft recon in a trade and the spine was pretty far off on it. I guess not a huge deal if you didn’t know about all that but I was sort of surprised given it was a 5-600 dollar rod.

puckhead

FNG
Wouldn't hesitate to go Lamson, have had very good luck with their reels from the inexpensive 3/4wt tout stuff to large arbor salt reels. Idaho company so they see plenty of use on steelies

Good timing on this thread, I'm trying to build a budget flats setup for HI and TX that I might be able to use on steelheads, stripers, and salmon at home. I found the Lamson Remix -9+ on sale with 3 reels for $169 which seems like a killer deal for a made in USA 4+" reel, 3 spools, and a sealed conical drag. Remix is machined aluminum shell with a cast spool, not fully machined aluminum like the more expensive Lightspeed series.

Planning on pairing it with a 8 or 9 weight pole which I still need to buy.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
I got to fish the Vaya and it was pretty sweet. Sound is good, smoothly functional in both the retrieve and the drag. I also loved the looks, the half frame is very aesthetically pleasing and makes for a unique sound. I only landed two steelhead but I had about 10 on for the day, enough to test the drag with light tippets …it’s smooth and positive in adjustment.

I am going to order one, not sure if I am going to stick with the standard black or have a custom one anodized.

I also just ordered a Nautilus CCFX2 and put a Hatch Iconic 7 plus on back order. No idea when it comes in. I originally was going to just get two reels but couldn’t decide which of the three to drop so I am going to get all three for now.

AKDoc

WKR
...Sorry guys, I just now saw this thread, so I'm pretty late to the party (might already be over LOL!)

Not on the OP's list and not yet mentioned in the thread, but I've got a couple of Dannielsson reels. They are worth a look. I have one for my 4WT and another for my 8WT. They are extremely well made in Sweden, and you can order directly from the factory at a very reasonable price. I am very, very pleased with mine...and they get a work-out!

Last edited:

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine who guides tarpon has been raving about Shilton reels. I used almost exclusively Nautilus reels these days but for the price Allen reels have always been good to me.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Unfortunately all three I ordered are back ordered to who knows when….. not that I am short on reels right now but o was hoping to get a new one out for the last couple weeks of steelhead fishing. Looks like my Harris’s are going to have to stay in the rotation