Newfoundland rain gear

Hey ya’ll, going in my first moose hunt this September in Newfoundland. Looking for recommendations on rain gear, I currently have the Sitka Dew Point jacket but considering something more durable.

I can get a considerable discount on Stone Glacier and First Lite so I’m looking at the m5 and Omen Storm Shelter, potentially even the M7 as I’ve been wanting to pick up a wind proof soft shell.

Best case scenario is someone has had a great experience with the dew point and thinks I’ll be good to go. I haven’t had a chance to really test it out.

Also curious about boots 10” waterproof boots were recommended and it seems like rubber is the most common choice. Anyone use waterproof leather boots and gaiters?

Djacker

WKR
The dew point will work. I wore mine in AK last year for 8 straight days. Like any rain gear, just have to be more careful busting brush. I'd bring rubber and waterproof leather boots, if you can. I'd bring waterproof socks too.

You’ll have a blast. Went this September right when the hurricane hit.

Regarding the boots, I wouldn’t take anything less than rubber boots. I used Lacrosse Alpha Agility’s. Anything shorter than those and you’re gonna have wet feet, at least where we were. The entire place is one big puddle. Everywhere you step makes a new puddle. Water everywhere.

I took Sitka Cloudburst for rain gear. Guides used rubber rain gear like you’d wear offshore fishing.

Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions 706 829 3926

Boston1

FNG
I used the Sitka Thunderhead Jacket and Pants last year (Sep 17-24, 2023) on my first NL hunt as the remnants of Hurricane Lee broke apart and crossed the west side of NL. It was a nasty wet week with wind, rain and heavy fog every day. The Thunderhead setup performed flawlessly and for the most part was very quiet in the brush. I recommend knee high rubber boots (16-18") and step where your guide steps. Otherwise you'll be hip deep in the bog. The tuckamore ripped holes in my new Irish setter boots-- they had neoprene uppers. If you get neoprene boots just be sure the front of the boot has a good rubber shield. I would avoid leather boots. The whole place is swampy and leather gear will get soaked. You'll have a great time!

Tall rubber boots all the way. Lots of the bog looks like it will support your weight, right up to the moment that you have all pf your weight on one foot. You probably won't be walking all that far so good leather boots aren't needed or desirable IMO.

Decent rain gear is important because you'll be out from dark-to-dark and sometimes it rains all day. All-in all, a Newfoundland moose hunt is really a lot of fun. Success rates were about 75% on the trips that I made.

OP
jnawalaniec
You’ll have a blast. Went this September right when the hurricane hit.

Regarding the boots, I wouldn’t take anything less than rubber boots. I used Lacrosse Alpha Agility’s. Anything shorter than those and you’re gonna have wet feet, at least where we were. The entire place is one big puddle. Everywhere you step makes a new puddle. Water everywhere.

I took Sitka Cloudburst for rain gear. Guides used rubber rain gear like you’d wear offshore fishing.

Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions 706 829 3926
Appreciate it! I’m sure I’ll hit you up with some questions

OP
jnawalaniec
The dew point will work. I wore mine in AK last year for 8 straight days. Like any rain gear, just have to be more careful busting brush. I'd bring rubber and waterproof leather boots, if you can. I'd bring waterproof socks too.
Insulated rubber boots?

Boston1

FNG
My boots were not insulated-- just regular muck type boot. I used merino wool socks (mid-light weight). Temperatures were not bad (30-50F). An extra set of boot insoles may come in handy if you step off in a hole and need to dry your boots. Most days we only traveled 1-2 miles. One day we covered 9 miles. We'd spend a few hours each morning and evening glassing. I'd get chilled sitting still but my feet were fine. For me insulated boots would be too hot.

OP
jnawalaniec
My boots were not insulated-- just regular muck type boot. I used merino wool socks (mid-light weight). Temperatures were not bad (30-50F). An extra set of boot insoles may come in handy if you step off in a hole and need to dry your boots. Most days we only traveled 1-2 miles. One day we covered 9 miles. We'd spend a few hours each morning and evening glassing. I'd get chilled sitting still but my feet were fine. For me insulated boots would be too hot.
Thanks for the info!

tntrker

WKR
I was the only one in my camp to have Sitka, Cloudburst is what I had. All others and guides had Kuiu. After each day, back at camp, all I heard was "I'm drenched, I'm froze from being wet, etc". I was dry, warm and toasty my entire trip...

Trial153

WKR
I like the cloudburst pants and jacket. My father has done well with the cloudburst pants and the cold front jacket. Both have held up to multiple NL hunts.

Logger

FNG
Rubber boots for sure water everywhere. Impertech long coat and bibs, all of the guides I hunted with or was around in camp had Helly Hanson rain gear. Hunted in Newfoundland in 21 and going back this fall. Have fun it’ll awsome

Cmb213

FNG
I've done 3 trips to Newfoundland now. I've used Cabelas rain gear then switched to first lite seak rain gear. Both worked just fine. My father uses LL Bean rain gear and has no complaints. My brother used whatever he found on sale and again it worked just fine. My father and I swear by rubber boots, my brother used tall LL Bean leather boots that he treats with waterproofing and takes good care of, no gaiters. He was very happy with them and was dry the whole time. My vote is rubber boots but if you already have gear you have faith in, go with that. The guides all wear rubber boots and a mix of Sitka and Helly Hansen rubber rain gear.

I used Sitka Thunderhead rain gear and rubber boots. I spent everyday in the rain gear. Even if its not rainng you are going to get wet. That is the nature of "The Rock". What ever you use makesure it is durable becasue that black spruce will tear cheap stuff up. My guid ripped his rubber suit twice while we were there. Rubber boots with two pair of socks it what I wore.