First Lite vs Kuiu Rain Gear

Hello, what’s everyone’s opinions on Kuiu vs First Lite rain gear? I’m looking at a set of First Lite Omen. I’ll be using it for all around rain gear from Steese caribou to a goat hunt in SE Alaska.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I have lots of First Lite stuff, but for rain gear I've been really happy with Kuiu... Chugach and Kutana over the last 8 years in the Oregon coast range.

My FL rain gear is a couple of generations old but it was something of a disaster. Tore very easily and didn’t breath well. In fairness to them, they do some things very well and have probably made some progress on their rain gear in the last +5 years but I wouldn’t spend a few hundred $$$ to find out.

I use a mix of OR, Sitka and kuiu. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those.

My first lite jacket was great but the pants didn't keep moisture out after several seasons. I switched to kryptek rain pants and haven't had an issue. Definetly test out whatever gear you get before your hunting trip.

Ive never had an issue out of something made of 3+ layer Gore Tex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbone26

FNG
I wore both the Kuiu Kutana and Yukon systems in Alaska and BC last season and I don't think you can go wrong.

chindits

WKR
I tried the FL years ago and had a serious condensation event where it was low exertion and I had a puffy on under the jacket. I moved on. Maybe they’re better now.

I tried the Kuiu years ago and I had soak through issues. I still use it as a towny jacket, but I moved on. It was the lightest model and I don’t remember what it’s called.

I tried Skree and have issues with its zipper wind flap design and Velcro cuffs. Both of which I have modified. I’m on my second jacket in maybe 8 years. CO is a pretty forgiving environment for rain gear though and my 2 weeks backpacking ANWR wasn’t really significant. I do a yearly wash with Nikwax TX direct right before hunting season and I don’t recall if I did that years ago. YMMV good luck.

Alex.D102

FNG
Any rain gear is going to make you sweat. There just isn’t much breathability in rain gear. I have multiple First Lite items including those Omen Stormshelter pants. I really like the pants. Have been durable for me, but haven’t busted a lot of brush in them.