Newfoundland moose hunt

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
The guides and processors in newfoundland are not concerned about meat quality or quantity. They do a little bit less than the minimum. The further you shoot from camp the less meat you get I was told. Sent it to processor came back full of dirt and hair. With cuts and labeling I've never seen. It's a mystery when you take a package from freezer . Do your own processing if possible
Lots of dirt and hair was my experience with the Newfoundland meat processor as well.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
any issues bringing back unprocessed meat? I suppose proof of sex still attached? deboned in camp? I'm booking through an outfitter with fly-in camps. I've read a few stories where guys who use processors end up with 75-100 pounds less than expected.

No, we didn't have any issues. We had the heads of the moose, and the guide filled out paperwork for us to bring back the meat.

At the border, I think the agents had us open one cooler, but didn't make us take the meat out of the bags.

Now, we did bring back boned in meat which techincally isn't allowed. We forgot about that detail until we were almost to the border so we just chanced it and it worked out fine. I'd recommend not doing what we did and spend an extra day in camp deboning the meat.

The truck directly ahead of us in line to cross the border coming back home had two hunters bringing moose and meat back. They didn't have their paperwork in order, so we saw the agent make them pull out ALL their gear, open every cooler, etc.... Moral of the story, have ALL your paperwork in order.

Boston1

FNG
The guides and processors in newfoundland are not concerned about meat quality or quantity. They do a little bit less than the minimum. The further you shoot from camp the less meat you get I was told. Sent it to processor came back full of dirt and hair. With cuts and labeling I've never seen. It's a mystery when you take a package from freezer . Do your own processing if possible
I had mine processed in NL last year and didn't have that issue. My guides also did a great job- very good job cleaning and we packed out almost every scrap. I have seen that kind of slack before with guiding and processing. I just didn't have that experience in NL. I think it can be found almost anywhere though in the US and abroad.

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^ same and never an issue just be sure you get the TSA approved padlocks for your rifle case!!
NO! TSA approved locks on all of your checked baggage  except your firearms case.

TSA approved locks  may be used on your firearms case, but are not required, and only you should be able to open that case.

I never put TSA locks in my rifle cases. Only master locks. With that said the last 3 times I have flown with rifles I have been called all the way to the front of the airport on my layover for TSA to "lookover" my firearm a second time. No one has been able to give me a reason why for this since it has already been cleared by TSA on initial check in. The last time was at LAX on a 4 hr layover and they decided to call overhead 30 minutes before our flight border to NZ requiring me to have to go back through security. I'm almost to the point of just using TSA locks to avoid this.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

miket

FNG
I read somewhere else that if I write " archery equipment" on my bow case it will lessen the chance of getting pulled aside for a firearms check. Anybody have experience with this? Last time ( the only time ) I went to Canada with my bow they put me in the holding room to search my case and I had to run through the airport with my shoes untied to keep from missing my flight. Literally saw me running up and opened the gate for me to get on the plane

Boston1

FNG
I've flown a few times with mine-- I wouldn't worry about labeling anything. I think it only makes people curious and want to see it. They'll likely X-ray it anyway. I recommend pulling all your broad heads and store in a separate bag. I've secured arrows in the case with velcro and didn't have any issues but the last thing you want is for a broached to pop loose and bounce around on your string.

re: Ammo in your rifle cases: Most of the employees at the airport barely graduated high school. They never see guns and archery gear so they just go off what they heard someone else say and make it up as they go. I fly Delta most of the time and always have this page pulled up on my phone for when they inevitably tell me I can't put ammo in the gun case (wrong). (scroll down to shooting equipment: https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/special-items/sporting-equipment). Whatever I'm flying I always have the rules pulled up on my phone so I can show them at check in before a Shanequa wants to get huffy with me. In 20+ years of flying there was one airline that explicitly said ammo can't go in the locked gun case but I forget who it was. It's always a pain in the ass checking the gun to canada. Coming home its a breeze. They actually know their laws.

re: TSA locks. The last few times I've gone through security they have me open the case and I always say "they're TSA locks, you can do it" and the reponse is either A: "We need you to be present when we open it or B: "They don't give us the TSA Keys anymore". I still use them but it's almost pointless. Once you start flying internationally TSA locks don't matter as it's only good in the USA.

On my most recent trip home from Iceland I was checking a gun next to 30 kids from NATO who were headed to the Ukraine and they were checking AR-10's in duffle bags with no locks and just pulling off the lower and throwing a zip tie on it. I died laughing.

Air canada
97ee1dd7b7de59f1fb910be63afecd76.jpg

miket

FNG
I just got an email from Air Canada that the pilots may go on strike and flights after Sept 15 may be canceled. My flights there are Sept 13 and 14 and return on the 21st. I guess all that really matters is that I get there. Will deal with getting back later

My flight is Oct 2nd. I sure hope it's cleared up by then or I'll be on the road / ferry for about 42 hrs rach way

Boston1

FNG
re: Ammo in your rifle cases: Most of the employees at the airport barely graduated high school. They never see guns and archery gear so they just go off what they heard someone else say and make it up as they go. I fly Delta most of the time and always have this page pulled up on my phone for when they inevitably tell me I can't put ammo in the gun case (wrong). (scroll down to shooting equipment: https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/special-items/sporting-equipment). Whatever I'm flying I always have the rules pulled up on my phone so I can show them at check in before a Shanequa wants to get huffy with me. In 20+ years of flying there was one airline that explicitly said ammo can't go in the locked gun case but I forget who it was. It's always a pain in the ass checking the gun to canada. Coming home its a breeze. They actually know their laws.

re: TSA locks. The last few times I've gone through security they have me open the case and I always say "they're TSA locks, you can do it" and the reponse is either A: "We need you to be present when we open it or B: "They don't give us the TSA Keys anymore". I still use them but it's almost pointless. Once you start flying internationally TSA locks don't matter as it's only good in the USA.

On my most recent trip home from Iceland I was checking a gun next to 30 kids from NATO who were headed to the Ukraine and they were checking AR-10's in duffle bags with no locks and just pulling off the lower and throwing a zip tie on it. I died laughing.

Obviously travelers must follow the airline policy and like Longhairdontcare said- there are very few rocket scientists working under the plane. Regardless, if airline policy doesn't address it- I would not travel with ammo and firearm in the same case. I'd keep them separated. It's careless in my opinion.