Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

Depends on gas vs diesel as well. 250-300k is nothing engine wise for a maintained diesel where most gas engines will need a rebuild by then. The truck is another question with that many miles on the drivetrain and everything else.
One thing I have noticed in the older vs new argument is that 100K miles was once the line in the sand for a truck to be towards the end of its useful life. Now it seems to be about 200K. I cannot wrap my head around the prices on trucks that have 150K miles or more on the odometer! Many people now talk about a 100K mile truck as having LOW miles. That says something about the reliability of newer trucks compared to older trucks.
Definitely!

I have only bought used trucks, all purchased with 80-115k miles. So I don’t know the previous maintenance/abuse. The first two were GMC Sierras and both made it to right around 200k miles before needing engine work so I got rid of them. Both had horrible rust issues. I will say that those engines just keep going with “issues” if you keep adding oil and changing spark plugs.

The 3rd was a Tundra with 115k miles from a framer that raised cattle in the SW WI hills. I got a crazy good price on it and knew he hauled cattle and a framing trailer with it. I expected to put a transmission or engine in it and accepted that with the price. Made it to 240k miles without either. Started having issues at that point but honestly could have kept going.

4th I just bought a newer Tundra w/92k miles and great service records, not a blemish on it. Really planning to take this one to 300k+

dancyr3

FNG
Newer trucks are going to need special tool/computers to work on them along with coming with more electronics and modules that can go bad. Things to think about...If it is a new(er) truck, what can you afford monthly? The maint. will be lower on a newer truck so I would factor any repairs that may be common on a older truck. What are you able to fix yourself vs. having a shop fix? Are you paying cash or financing either one? I work at Kendall so if you ever need anything send me a PM

I work on trucks weekly that have 500k plus on them with original long blocks still in them. Can’t say the say for gas engines. Modern stuff is garbage compared to pre emissions engines.
I'm going to assume you're refering to older diesels (pre mid year 07) when you say gas engines wont last nearly as long.

I'm going to assume you're refering to older diesels (pre mid year 07) when you say gas engines wont last nearly as long.
I work on a ton of modern gas and diesel and they are both terrible compared to the older stuff. The diesels are choked with emmisons and the newer gas stuff is plagued with sensor and electrical issues, normally on the turbo engines. It’s not uncommon to see lifters, valves, and cam phasers all shit the bed on newer stuff with low miles though. Quality control is seriously lacking, the last 5 years is really bad.

Last edited:
I work on a ton of modern gas and diesel and they are both terrible compared to the older stuff. The diesels are choked with emmisons and the newer gas stuff is plagued with sensor and electrical issues, normally on the turbo engines. It’s not uncommon to see lifters, valves, and cam phasers all shit the bed on newer stuff with low miles though. Quality control is seriously lacking, the last 5 years is really bad.
No argument here.

Just another reason not to pay the asinine prices they are asking for them these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just another reason not to pay the asinine prices they are asking for them these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I did an entire fuel system on a f450 that had 61k on it. Was 1k outta the warranty period. Cp4 injection pump grenaded and took out everything. Fuel rail, injectors, lines, etc. Ford quoted him 23k to replace everything. Cost of new stuff is just plain crazy.

I did an entire fuel system on a f450 that had 61k on it. Was 1k outta the warranty period. Cp4 injection pump grenaded and took out everything. Fuel rail, injectors, lines, etc. Ford quoted him 23k to replace everything. Cost of new stuff is just plain crazy.
To be fair, isn't that a lack of owner maint. that usually results in the cp failing? It's a pretty known issue (in all of the big 3 depending on years) and can usually be caught long before the pump goes kaboom, correct?

The biggest problem (ASIDE from emissions) with newer diesels is everyone still thinks what their dad and grandpa said is true, "it's a diesel it'll run forever". Those days are long gone and have been since what, 2003? Cummins being a few years longer.

These newer trucks need maticulous maint. and let's face it, the majority of diesel owners still think they're driving a clunky old 7.3 or 5.9. I believe they make aftermarket replacements for that to fix the pump, and isn't the metal shavings noticeable in the fuel filters?

I agree though, a newer diesel isn't for everyone.

Fair to say we have completely derailed this thread, though.

To be fair, isn't that a lack of owner maint. that usually results in the cp failing? It's a pretty known issue (in all of the big 3 depending on years) and can usually be caught long before the pump goes kaboom, correct?

The biggest problem (ASIDE from emissions) with newer diesels is everyone still thinks what their dad and grandpa said is true, "it's a diesel it'll run forever". Those days are long gone and have been since what, 2003? Cummins being a few years longer.

These newer trucks need maticulous maint. and let's face it, the majority of diesel owners still think they're driving a clunky old 7.3 or 5.9. I believe they make aftermarket replacements for that to fix the pump, and isn't the metal shavings noticeable in the fuel filters?

I agree though, a newer diesel isn't for everyone.

Fair to say we have completely derailed this thread, though.
He builds pools for a living. Fuel filters changed every oil change at 5k. Maintained to the gills. Cp4 are just garbage and can’t take the us diesel with low sulfur. They are running in Europe just fine, but once again its due to their diesel having wayyy more lubricity.

What’s crazy is even with my labor and parts it was a fraction of what ford quoted home. I think the injectors were a little over 200 my cost and the dealership was over 600 per injector. They call them stealerships for a reason.

If buying a ford I highly suggest calling Grainger ford in Iowa. Best prices nation wide. If buying local call them after the sale and buy the ford extended warranty through Grainger. DO NOT buy it from your local dealer. Granger only charges 50 bucks over dealer cost. No one in the country is going to beat that and it’s a genuine ford extended warranty good at any ford dealer nation wide.

Last edited:
He builds pools for a living. Fuel filters changed every oil change at 5k. Maintained to the gills. Cp4 are just garbage and can’t take the us diesel with low sulfur. They are running in Europe just fine, but once again its due to their diesel having wayyy more lubricity.

What’s crazy is even with my labor and parts it was a fraction of what ford quoted home. I think the injectors were a little over 200 my cost and the dealership was over 600 per injector. They call them stealerships for a reason.

If buying a ford I highly suggest calling Grainger ford in Iowa. Best prices nation wide. If buying local call them after the sale and buy the ford extended warranty through Grainger. DO NOT buy it from your local dealer. Granger only charges 50 bucks over dealer cost. No one in the country is going to beat that and it’s a genuine ford extended warranty good at any ford dealer nation wide.
Lol as a former Ford employee, and die hard Ford guy, there's a reason my F-350 has the not so bro uncool gas engine 😄