ANOTHER Toyota Tundra Discussion… Help please!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I’ve got a 2008 tundra with the 5.7 and a 2008 sequoia with the 4.6 in it, both are good for what they are used for…the sequoia is my wife’s daily driver and never pulls anything and doesn’t need to win any speed competitions…definitely not going to either, but it gets the job done. The 5.7 definitely has more power, and if you plan on pulling anything, get the bigger motor. The smaller motor does get just a touch better mpg, but only 1-2 better is all. One thing to look for if you do go the 4.6 route, I believe they have a timing belt, and the first service to change it is around 90,000 miles. 5.7 has a timing chain so you most likely wouldn’t have to worry about changing.
Thanks for the insight. I really don’t ever tow hardly at all, but it is good to think about.

Not to start an internet war, but the 4.6 and 5.7 both have timing chains. Basically anything 07 and newer has a chain. The 2006 and older tundras had a 4.7l v8 that did have a timing belt. Something I discovered on a google rabbit hole after asking my question on here!

mattm94

FNG
I’ve got a 2008 tundra with the 5.7 and a 2008 sequoia with the 4.6 in it, both are good for what they are used for…the sequoia is my wife’s daily driver and never pulls anything and doesn’t need to win any speed competitions…definitely not going to either, but it gets the job done. The 5.7 definitely has more power, and if you plan on pulling anything, get the bigger motor. The smaller motor does get just a touch better mpg, but only 1-2 better is all. One thing to look for if you do go the 4.6 route, I believe they have a timing belt, and the first service to change it is around 90,000 miles. 5.7 has a timing chain so you most likely wouldn’t have to worry about changing.
Your 2008 has a 4.7 UZ series V8. Similar but different animal, which happens to require periodic timing belt replacement. 4.6, 5.7 and other UR series V8s do not.

Currently have a 4.7, 4.6, and 5.7 in different rides.

Tmac

WKR
Ok sliders, I’m starting my truck shopping. I currently drive a 2013 half ton GMC extended cab. I’ve had it for about 4 years and want to get into a 4 door for kid space in the (hopefully) near future. I’m wanting to get into a 2nd gen tundra for less than $25k. My only fear/worry is that I have no idea what exactly to look for or ask about on these trucks as I’ve never owned one before.

I obviously want to get as low of mileage as possible, but even with a budget of $20-$25k I’m seeing mileage of 100-140k as the average, and that’s for a 9-12 year old model. I know it’s a Toyota and all that, but it’s still a 130k mile vehicle that’s over 10 years old. So what do I need to check for and look for?

I’ve read about the cam tower leaks, and know there’s something up with some model years with the frames/bed mounts or something? How prominent are these issues, how exactly do I check the frame out, and what else do I need to look for “in general” on these trucks outside the normal stuff? Are there certain model years to avoid completely? Please educate me!

EDIT TO ADD: How do these trucks do leveled/lifted slightly (2” or less-ish)? Do their drive components hold up ok or is that mod a no-go? Lots and LOTS of them I’m seeing locally are leveled.
The bed mounts/frame issue is mostly on the DC. Crewmax’s don’t seem to have the issue, seemingly because of where the bed attaches to the frame. It leads to cracking around the mounts and bed. Pretty easy to see and probably from fairly rough off-roading, my guess anyway.

As far as I know the 5.7 is just a stroked 4.6. Otherwise pretty much the same. I have the 5.7, my buddy the 4.6, he has plenty of power for use up to moderate towing. I’d be fine with the 4.6.

I‘ve put 275k and 285k and counting on my last two Toyotas. Have 77k on my 2019 5.7 Tundra, zero issues. 100k-125k with frequent oil changes would not bother me in the least.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
2019 Tundra 1794 with 67k on it. I have had Camburg suspension on it from the beginning with their billet upper control arms and ball joints running 275/70R18 tires. I have used it almost exclusively for hunting with zero issues so far.

When buying a used, lifted, Tundra I would look carefully at how it was lifted, how high is was lifted, and if they lowered the carrier bearing and front dif. You may get driveline vibration if the carrier bearing has not been done and your front axle angles could be too extreme if the diff has not been lowered. Both are easy and cheap fixes though if needed.

Love the truck though. Comfortable, reliable, capable, with plenty of room for week long or greater out of state hunting trips. Only thing not to love is the mileage, but I will take the trade off in reliability.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 2018, SR5 Double cab 5.7. If you plan to do any truck camping, I'd definitely recommend the double cab with the 6.5' bed.

Had a 21’ double cab and the rear facing car was behind the driver seat with plenty of room, but I’m a midget at 5’6”. It had a couple more inches of room behind the seat than my current Tacoma double can.

JEck

WKR
I love my 2018, SR5 Double cab 5.7. If you plan to do any truck camping, I'd definitely recommend the double cab with the 6.5' bed.
My ‘08 with the double cab and a topper is awesome for camping. I’ve got some carpet and an air mattress that go in the back…way better than having to deal with setting up a tent imo.

Mowata

FNG
I've been a GM man for 40 years, switched to a SR5 Toyota Tundra with a 4.6 and it has been great, 2018 with 60,000 miles. Have a friend that was a rural mail man, he told me that a toyota was the only brand that would hold up to over 500,000 miles on gravel roads in N. Louisiana. The 4.6 is enough to pull my 22' bay boat with no problem.