Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I paid 27k for a fully loaded f350 crew cab, all the bells and whistles, 80k miles 1 owner in January ib todays crazy market. From a dealer as well, so even higher price. 14.2mpg avg at 65mph, tow a house, rides pretty decent, drives like a new truck and has zero issues. I think that's a great deal compared to a 70k newer truck with 70k less miles.

I don't think you gain anything spending 10k less on much less of a truck and age also helps wear out things just that much faster. Pick your poison. You wouldn't know my truck was not brand new if you rode in it blindfolded.

Edit-Also has an electric rear locker, very nice for a hunting and camping rig.
What year is your F350? The new F250/F350s with coil springs up front ride way better than the older trucks with front leaf springs.

The other thing that people say about the older trucks is that they have a lot of power. That's just not true compared to the latest generation of trucks. I've driven and towed with Dodge, Chevy, and Ford, with years ranging from the late '80s until now. The new trucks have way more power and better transmissions.

One of the best examples is how much everyone (at least around here) raves about the 7.3 Ford diesel. They are very reliable but have about half as much power as the new 6.7 Powerstroke. Towing with the two trucks isn't remotely close. And the transmissions of the '90s and early 2000s were garbage. Both Ford and Dodge were good for about 80k between replacements. Chevy didn't even have a diesel worth talking about through that time period.

With all that said, one of my favorite trucks ever was a "bulletproofed" '06 F350 King Ranch that I had lifted on 37s. It was fast and reliable and towed like crazy. The transmission didn't need anything but normal service until I traded it in with 270k miles on it. Even though it was tuned, that truck didn't have the power, torque, or ride that my 2018 has.

What year is your F350? The new F250/F350s with coil springs up front ride way better than the older trucks with front leaf springs.

The other thing that people say about the older trucks is that they have a lot of power. That's just not true compared to the latest generation of trucks. I've driven and towed with Dodge, Chevy, and Ford, with years ranging from the late '80s until now. The new trucks have way more power and better transmissions.

One of the best examples is how much everyone (at least around here) raves about the 7.3 Ford diesel. They are very reliable but have about half as much power as the new 6.7 Powerstroke. Towing with the two trucks isn't remotely close. And the transmissions of the '90s and early 2000s were garbage. Both Ford and Dodge were good for about 80k between replacements. Chevy didn't even have a diesel worth talking about through that time period.

With all that said, one of my favorite trucks ever was a "bulletproofed" '06 F350 King Ranch that I had lifted on 37s. It was fast and reliable and towed like crazy. The transmission didn't need anything but normal service until I traded it in with 270k miles on it. Even though it was tuned, that truck didn't have the power, torque, or ride that my 2018 has.
Mine is 2011, I had a 2003 i put almost 300k miles on. The newer truck is better in every way. The reliability from a big block gas engine with a modern trans and modern suspension for 27k was worth every penny IMO. I also live in N. Idaho and spend 20-30% of my time offroad though, so for me it seemed likr a solid investment.

If I har not wanted a fully loaded truck, I probably could of gotten the same truck in a xl/xlt for 19-20k, still seems like a better investment IMO compared to a early 2000s model truck.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to brag about my 2009 GMC Sierra and how good it's been since I bought it in 2013 but my oil pump failed on my way to work yesterday morning. I'm going to do the work myself to get it back running but now I'm questioning if I want to keep it afterwards. It's only at 103,000 miles though and I like it and the good gas mileage. If I were to buy another truck I would look for a 3-4 year old lease return like my current truck was. There's no way I would buy a brand new truck at these ridiculous prices.

young7.3

WKR
I paid 27k for a fully loaded f350 crew cab, all the bells and whistles, 80k miles 1 owner in January ib todays crazy market. From a dealer as well, so even higher price. 14.2mpg avg at 65mph, tow a house, rides pretty decent, drives like a new truck and has zero issues. I think that's a great deal compared to a 70k newer truck with 70k less miles.

I don't think you gain anything spending 10k less on much less of a truck and age also helps wear out things just that much faster. Pick your poison. You wouldn't know my truck was not brand new if you rode in it blindfolded.

Edit-Also has an electric rear locker, very nice for a hunting and camping rig.

What year, diesel, and 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to bite the bullet last Sept. I did the math on my tundra with 240K and it cost me approx $400/mo over the 125k miles I owned it(purchase price, repairs,maint, less resale price) I ended up going with a newer 18’ Tundra with 90K miles and around a $400/mo payment. Hopefully the payments are done before the big repairs start. Don’t matter what you get, it’s costing money in maintenance and repairs. I chose Toyota after two GMCs that used almost as much oil as gas around 200k miles(ok not quite, but a quart every gas fill up is a lot!). Buying new the math didn’t work no matter how I looked at it.

I figured out exactly what I wanted, expanded my search and saved about $2k by driving 500 miles to get it. The prices are high in my area compared to other areas I found. Car fax was a big part of my search, gotta see the oil changes and no accidents.

I have an 03 Tahoe with 344,000 miles. Original engine and Transmission. I have repaired some things over the years but I know what had been done to it and how it has been taken care of. I will probably keep it forever. It has been all over the US and goes out west every year from Arkansas. I have no reservations of taking it anywhere. I can have a new engine in it for about 5k and trans rebuilt for around 2k when needed. I can stomach that way more than the price of a new one. Not to mention all the electronic stuff and nanny stuff on the new ones.

Just one man’s $.02

sasquatch

WKR
20 yr old equipment can be excellent but most likely you'll be buying something you need to fix often - shocks, struts, fuel lines, brake lines, stuff like that that wear out slowly over time.

A plane Jane Taco is a 4 cyl 2x4 and will run about $35k.

The price increases have yet to really slap us. The repercussions of the inflation and mfrs willingness to hike prices for record profits should come home to roost in a the next couple of years.

They haven’t slapped us because businesses are smarter than the average buyer

The average idiot cares ONLY about the monkey note, therefore just make the loan longer, which is what they did.

It won’t be long until it comes to mortgages, they’ll bump them up to 40 yr loans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fmyth

WKR
They haven’t slapped us because businesses are smarter than the average buyer

The average idiot cares ONLY about the monkey note, therefore just make the loan longer, which is what they did.

It won’t be long until it comes to mortgages, they’ll bump them up to 40 yr loans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The FHA already offers a 40-year loan modification option to existing FHA borrowers.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is 2011, I had a 2003 i put almost 300k miles on. The newer truck is better in every way. The reliability from a big block gas engine with a modern trans and modern suspension for 27k was worth every penny IMO. I also live in N. Idaho and spend 20-30% of my time offroad though, so for me it seemed likr a solid investment.

If I har not wanted a fully loaded truck, I probably could of gotten the same truck in a xl/xlt for 19-20k, still seems like a better investment IMO compared to a early 2000s model truck.
I agree for sure.

I have an 03 Tahoe with 344,000 miles. Original engine and Transmission. I have repaired some things over the years but I know what had been done to it and how it has been taken care of. I will probably keep it forever. It has been all over the US and goes out west every year from Arkansas. I have no reservations of taking it anywhere. I can have a new engine in it for about 5k and trans rebuilt for around 2k when needed. I can stomach that way more than the price of a new one. Not to mention all the electronic stuff and nanny stuff on the new ones.

Just one man’s $.02
What about the rest of the vehicle at that age and mileage, though? And I'm not trying to specifically say your rig is this way, I'm just fueling the debate as the OP said convince me.

I look at other things, weatherstripping, cab noise, wiring at that age/use, interior wear and tear (A lot of travel a long distance for fishing/hunting) and those can all be frustrating.

I went through this same debate the past 2 years while I saved my coins, driving a cheap truck (99 chevy) in the mean time. It was noisey in the cab, whistles and such, the windshield had a very small leak on rainey days, didn't have the power to get around the PNW mountains with a lightly loaded trailer, didn't have a modern trans so mpg wasn't good, not much ground clearance, the list goes on.

Did it work? Well, it got me to hunting camp and down to tje river to fish without question. Didnit suck? IMO, yes. That's for each person to decide themselves.

For an extra 8-12k you get a much more modern platform with better performance all the way around, better resale if that matters, ease of replacement parts, and much more comfort. That may not be worth the extra pennies to some. I daily drive my truck as my living conditions only allow one vehicle, so I went for the best yet still affordable platform avail.

Nothing sucks more then being broken down half way to camp or god forbid, off grid, because an old vehicle let a part go.

What about the rest of the vehicle at that age and mileage, though? And I'm not trying to specifically say your rig is this way, I'm just fueling the debate as the OP said convince me.

I look at other things, weatherstripping, cab noise, wiring at that age/use, interior wear and tear (A lot of travel a long distance for fishing/hunting) and those can all be frustrating.

I went through this same debate the past 2 years while I saved my coins, driving a cheap truck (99 chevy) in the mean time. It was noisey in the cab, whistles and such, the windshield had a very small leak on rainey days, didn't have the power to get around the PNW mountains with a lightly loaded trailer, didn't have a modern trans so mpg wasn't good, not much ground clearance, the list goes on.

Did it work? Well, it got me to hunting camp and down to tje river to fish without question. Didnit suck? IMO, yes. That's for each person to decide themselves.

For an extra 8-12k you get a much more modern platform with better performance all the way around, better resale if that matters, ease of replacement parts, and much more comfort. That may not be worth the extra pennies to some. I daily drive my truck as my living conditions only allow one vehicle, so I went for the best yet still affordable platform avail.

Nothing sucks more then being broken down half way to camp or god forbid, off grid, because an old vehicle let a part go.
It was a one owner when I bought it in 2006 with 40k miles in it. I take good care of all of my vehicles. It still drives great and interior is in great shape. My point is those other variables are less of a worry if you have owned the vehicle for the majority of its life and taken care of it.

I would agree it would be a concern to try and buy one that is older with higher mileage when you don’t know the history.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I'm kinda ol school. Just bought a 1978 Ford F-250 4x4. 400 cu/in engine. C6 automatic transmission with an 8' slide in camper for $3,500. 42,000 miles 1 owner truck. Runs n drives great. I could put 3 to 4 thousand bucks into a new body work n paint job. And have a beautiful reliable truck that will last me for the rest of my days. Currently my daily driver for the summer is a 1978 El Camino. And I'm working on fixing up a 1969 Ranchero with 22,000 miles 4 speed transmission in it.
Parts are always available and I can fix just about anything myself. And I like the looks

Unless you have the 6-speed manual in the 7.3L. ;)
My 03 was a V10,6 speed manual. Aside from the plug problem (which wouldn't leave you stranded if broke) it was a very reliable and strong setup for a pure hunting rig. Those can be had for dirt cheap as well, for a budget option. If I wanted an older, very affordable truck, I wouldn't hesitate at all to grab another one. Everything has it's place, for sure.

*zap*

WKR
20240613_111646.jpg

2001 f250 4x4 I picked up a few days ago. 50,360 miles one owner, national guard.
Mechanically great, changed Pittman arm end yesterday. I will have maybe $700 and 40 hrs dealing with it so it lasts me as long as possible. For me it is ideal, hopefully. :)

Yoder

WKR
In 2 posts you went from 30k to 80k in regards to a vehicle purchase. 30k isn't really that much if done right, 80k is silly though. Ifnyou're paying 800/month (as you mentioned) for a 30k rig, you have made very poor decisions somewhere along the way.

You have to weigh your needs and the value of your time, then count in the risks. I personally didn't want a nickle dime vehicle and I didn't want the risk (higher risk, anyway) of my truck ruining the limited amount of time I have to spend outdoors, I feel a 10ish year old rig properly cared for has a much better chance of not causing issues during hunting trips.

The OP didn't really say if he even needed a truck, he simply said he had a 05 chevy truck. That could be a 2wd half time or a fully loaded Duramax, we don't know. He didn't really give nearly enough info for anyone here to make a reasonable reply directed at him. No yearly mileage, towing, terrian he's hunting, ect.

Food for thought.
What I'm saying is I can afford $80k, but I would never even pay $30k for any vehicle. I think $30k is not out of line for a new 4x4 extended cab truck. that now cost $40-$50k. I'm not willing to enslave myself to that kind of debt for something I don't actually need. I'm not a contractor and anything I can put in a pickup, I can put on my $1k utility trailer.