Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Sure wish a new plain Jane manual 4wd tacoma or Ranger could be bought for 25/26000.
I would buy new.
But never will I give 40000 or more for any vehicle unless it’s making me money.
Unfortunately due to our government regulations that will never happen again. It could if we got rid of the insane regs, but that's not happening.

Rich M

WKR
20 yr old equipment can be excellent but most likely you'll be buying something you need to fix often - shocks, struts, fuel lines, brake lines, stuff like that that wear out slowly over time.

A plane Jane Taco is a 4 cyl 2x4 and will run about $35k.

The price increases have yet to really slap us. The repercussions of the inflation and mfrs willingness to hike prices for record profits should come home to roost in a the next couple of years.

Maxhunter

WKR
I was going to buy used in 2023 but the price difference wasn’t that much less than new. Pulled the trigger and bought a new 2023 SR5 Tundra. It’s been a great truck so far. Had my 2001 Silverado for 22yrs. It was a good truck but knew it was going to nickel & dime me. This may be my last truck if I live until 83yr old.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 56

jimh406

WKR
Two things are important if you go used, 1) you need to buy a model/brand that has a reputation for reliability. 2) You need to have enough money available to deal with a major repair if needed.

That being said, I used to always buy new. One day, I had the epiphany that if I was trading in perfectly good vehicles after 3-4 years, other people were, too. Do buy ones with carfax or similar reports. The wrecks aren't super important since not all body shops report, but buy ones that have regularly servicing recorded. For systems like that, you don't know what's missing, but you will know what is actually listed.

MattB

WKR
The good, miles correlates with vehicle life and older models will not have the vast element of electronics that can fail in newer trucks, they are easier to work on, and parts may be cheaper.

The bad, some parts will degrade over time (rubber/plastic) and replacement parts availability can be worse.

*zap*

WKR
Never be afraid of an older vehicle that has been maintained, especially fleet/govt vehicles. Just stay away from rusted frames.

For the people that can turn a wrench and don’t mind the time spending fixing things, than used or older might be worth it. I’m no mechanic my last two trucks where a used ford ranger and a GMC sierra. Both nickeled and dimmed me on parts and cost to pay mechanics to fix it. Not to mention being stranded when they broke down.

Ended up buying a new 2022 ram classic off road package towards end of the year in 2023. Think I was 42k out the door, the rest of the year prior to that they were asking 53k. Watch the market if you decide to get new. Dealers are hurting bad right now cause no one will pay 70k for a truck. There is going to be some deals coming soon I would bet. I plan on driving this truck to the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
How many times did you put your truck in 4wd last year? Considering the high depreciation, rising maintenance costs due to onboard electronics, higher insurance, higher fuel costs and higher property taxes associated with a late model truck, you might be better off renting a 4wd pickup when you need it and driving a cost effective sedan the rest of the year. A late model truck costs about $1/mile to drive, whereas a used Camry or similar will cost about $0.30/mile. The average vehicle owner drives 13,500 miles/year, which would be $13,500/yr for a new truck and $4050/yr for a used Camry. In that scenario, the Camry driver would save $9450. If he/she spent $2500 throughout the year renting 4wd vehicles, that would still leave an extra $6950 in their budget to go hunting. Even if I'm half wrong (I'm not), that person could save $3475/year. I'm not saying this is the right option for your specific situation, but a lot of pickup truck owners fail to properly calculate the total cost of operating their vehicles. Money is the sinew of war, the more you can put in your budget, the more options you'll have. Good luck out there this fall!

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'll buy an older non emissions vehicle any day, that said we have a 2012 4 runner. All my trucks are pre emissions, I won't buy newer than a 5.9 Cummins. EPA is watching the Internet for idiots. Gas rigs are different than diesel as they have been under emissions BS since the 70s. A 65 327 Chevy would get you 20 mph a 80 350 would get maybe 4nph in a One ton truck with the same gears.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Here's another reason to go older: All newer vehicles, my guess in in the last 10-ish years have black boxes on them, or nannies as I like to call them. Those are not there to help you.

Look for an older Toyota (Ford and Chevy too but I'd pick Toyota) that has documented maintenance history , no accidents and is in your budget and don't look back.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. Almost forgot about mentioning the over use of technology in new vehicles to create a WOW factor. For me, these are just more things to break or cause problem as they age.

It always seems to work out best for me buying new trucks. I’m self employed so some tax advantages that make it work. I’m single with one vehicle and travel a lot in my truck so I need dependability and I like the peace of mind of a a factory warranty.

I am not that handy nor do
I don't get any enjoyment working on my own truck and shops are all very expensive. I make a good living at my occupation and can take on as much work as I want to off set any cost.

That said I drive my trucks for 6/7 years and I am planning to trade into a new truck this year sometime.

I keep good care of my trucks. I park it in the garage, I have all the recommended maintenance done at the proper intervals, dont pull anything to speak of and mostly have highway miles. I have good luck with my trucks.

Since I keep them so long I prefer to start with a new one.

Different strategies will work for different drivers based on their need ,use, skills and finances.

My current rig is nearing 300k miles and I will likely be in the market for a new truck in the near future. Truck prices are outrageous right now and I can't rap my mind around paying $30-40k for a 5-10 yr old truck with 60-100k miles.

I'm seeing 20 yr old trucks with 100k miles for $10-15k and it's very tempting. My current truck is an 05 Chevy and has everything I need and serves me well but unfortunately they don't last forever.

I will likely not attempt to resell my new truck in the future and plan to run it into the ground so resell value isn't much of a concern.

Someone convince me that spending over double for a truck that is 15 years newer is a better idea than buying an old truck with identical miles.
I paid 27k for a fully loaded f350 crew cab, all the bells and whistles, 80k miles 1 owner in January ib todays crazy market. From a dealer as well, so even higher price. 14.2mpg avg at 65mph, tow a house, rides pretty decent, drives like a new truck and has zero issues. I think that's a great deal compared to a 70k newer truck with 70k less miles.

I don't think you gain anything spending 10k less on much less of a truck and age also helps wear out things just that much faster. Pick your poison. You wouldn't know my truck was not brand new if you rode in it blindfolded.

Edit-Also has an electric rear locker, very nice for a hunting and camping rig.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
How many times did you put your truck in 4wd last year? Considering the high depreciation, rising maintenance costs due to onboard electronics, higher insurance, higher fuel costs and higher property taxes associated with a late model truck, you might be better off renting a 4wd pickup when you need it and driving a cost effective sedan the rest of the year. A late model truck costs about $1/mile to drive, whereas a used Camry or similar will cost about $0.30/mile. The average vehicle owner drives 13,500 miles/year, which would be $13,500/yr for a new truck and $4050/yr for a used Camry. In that scenario, the Camry driver would save $9450. If he/she spent $2500 throughout the year renting 4wd vehicles, that would still leave an extra $6950 in their budget to go hunting. Even if I'm half wrong (I'm not), that person could save $3475/year. I'm not saying this is the right option for your specific situation, but a lot of pickup truck owners fail to properly calculate the total cost of operating their vehicles. Money is the sinew of war, the more you can put in your budget, the more options you'll have. Good luck out there this fall!
Limited slip rear diff can be a very good way to go. My 2009f150 and 1999 c/k 2500 both are rear wheel drive only and both have limited slip. They walk right out-of wet stuff that would leave most 2x4`s spinning.

when I was a teenager into my early twenties I flipped cars, buy broke, fix and sell. Now I’ve got pretty good means and nice cars for the family.

The sweet spot I’ve found is 3-5 years old, you’ll have some maintenance to do but the expense is far less than new. Also less than a 7-10 year old truck. Older than 10 and it doesn’t matter how good of condition it is, you’re fighting aging manufacturing, aging technology, and aging in general. They’ll often need maintenance, not impossible, but not in the sweet spot of 3-5 years.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
when I was a teenager into my early twenties I flipped cars, buy broke, fix and sell. Now I’ve got pretty good means and nice cars for the family.

The sweet spot I’ve found is 3-5 years old, you’ll have some maintenance to do but the expense is far less than new. Also less than a 7-10 year old truck. Older than 10 and it doesn’t matter how good of condition it is, you’re fighting aging manufacturing, aging technology, and aging in general. They’ll often need maintenance, not impossible, but not in the sweet spot of 3-5 years.
I did the same thing years ago, grew up working on cars. I went diesel in 2001 when I bought my first Dodge. I'm a retired diesel mechanic and would not own a diesel truck newer than 2007. I put 500k on an 06 Dodge and never had problems until I over heated it at 480k miles replaced the head gasket and ground the valves and carried on. I've logged over 3/4 of a million miles with the 5.9 Cummins and wouldn't buy an emissions engine. Just my 2 cent. It's worth what you paid for it.

Northpark

WKR
My current rig is nearing 300k miles and I will likely be in the market for a new truck in the near future. Truck prices are outrageous right now and I can't rap my mind around paying $30-40k for a 5-10 yr old truck with 60-100k miles.

I'm seeing 20 yr old trucks with 100k miles for $10-15k and it's very tempting. My current truck is an 05 Chevy and has everything I need and serves me well but unfortunately they don't last forever.

I will likely not attempt to resell my new truck in the future and plan to run it into the ground so resell value isn't much of a concern.

Someone convince me that spending over double for a truck that is 15 years newer is a better idea than buying an old truck with identical miles.
I just went through this dilemma a few weeks ago. My old Silverado was aging out and when I went to look at used trucks which is all I’ve ever bought I was shocked at the price. I was also shocked at the size of the new half ton Silverados. I didn’t want to drop $40-50k on a used truck and also didn’t want a huge truck. I ended up looking at the Tacoma, Colorado and Ranger. I ended up with a new ‘24 Chevy Colorado ZR2 (the one with all the goodies like a factory lift, multimatic shocks, rock rollers, skid plates, etc.) for $50k. It’s got a full warranty and will hopefully last me 15 years or more since I average less than 10k miles per year. It’s also more appropriate size for me. In fact it’s pretty close in size to my old truck. It’s got 310HP and 430lbft or torque with a 1200lb hauling capacity and a 7,000lb towing capacity. Not that I tow much. ‘24 is also the second year for the 3rd gen Colorado so the bugs have supposedly been fixed. I couldn’t justify the price but hey you only live once. For what you get the Colorado seemed like the best value. The Tacoma was the worst value and I’ve heard the new tacomas aren’t the reliable trucks they once were. IMG_4162.jpeg

I did the same thing years ago, grew up working on cars. I went diesel in 2001 when I bought my first Dodge. I'm a retired diesel mechanic and would not own a diesel truck newer than 2007. I put 500k on an 06 Dodge and never had problems until I over heated it at 480k miles replaced the head gasket and ground the valves and carried on. I've logged over 3/4 of a million miles with the 5.9 Cummins and wouldn't buy an emissions engine. Just my 2 cent. It's worth what you paid for it.
I don’t disagree that the engine technology for consumer performance peaked in the mid thousands, but the rest of the vehicle was mediocre, specifically rust, transmissions, computer, etc etc. newer vehicles have some advantages there. So it’s really a balancing game, determining what each individuals priorities are.