NEW Zeiss Conquest HDX Binocular Tested and Reviewed!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I took a look at a pre-release sample of the new Conquest HDX 10X42 binocular.

At under $1000 retail, this is by far the most competitive part of the market. Zeiss threw a lot of features at the Conquest HDX in hopes of competing at the very top of the segment.

Zeiss Conquest HDX Binocular Review

HDXandB12.jpg

I put the Conquest HDX up against stiff competition in one of the class-leading options at the price point: the Maven B1.2.

Subscribe to this thread for updates!

@Justin Crossley
@robby denning

Last edited by a moderator:

solo06

FNG
How does the new Zeiss Conquest HDX compare to the original Conquest HD regarding optical performance (overall image sharpness, edge to edge sharpness, low light brightness performance, color rendition, etc.)?

Trying to decide, if you already have Conquest HDs, is it worth upgrading to Conquest HDXs for optical performance? Or, is the HDX primarily just a refresh to the ergonomics, eyecup design, diopter lock, etc.?

After reading the review, it seems you might be better off buying the old version of the Conquest on clearance. It will be interesting to see how the HDX 8x42's fare with the optics experts.

I experienced significant kidney bean/blackout with the HD. Interested to see if the new optical make up changes that.

Other than that these binos seem have every feature and ergo that I’m looking for.

Looking forward to seeing them in person.

Bugger

FNG
How does the HDX stack up against the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42? Looks like the Nikons still hold an edge with FOV, weight, and a more compact size.
The only thing wrong with the HG’s is the Nikon logo. Gonna be hard to outright beat the value in those!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
How does the HDX stack up against the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42? Looks like the Nikons still hold an edge with FOV, weight, and a more compact size.

The Monarch HG and Maven B1.2 are very similar in optical performance with the HG adding a little extra FOV, so the comparisons apply similarly.

The Monarch HG’s eyecups are not removeable, however.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, quick thoughts on HDX vs Razor UHD please?

The 10x42 Razor UHD is a much bigger/heavier binocular. I didn’t have them side-by-side, but the Razor UHD is probably a little better optically corrected than the HDX, but doesn’t have the full list of features, and it’s more expensive.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, should have clarified I was hoping for an 8x32 UHD comparison. Appreciate it.
Oh, I see. I only had a sample of the 10x42 HDX for eval. I'm not sure how the 8x32 HDX performs.

The 8x32 UHD, as you know, is quite good.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
One has to wonder how the market will respond to the HDX being made in Japan vs the HD made in Germany. I would think Kamakura makes both models anyway.