New zealand 2012 Chamois hunt.

Hey guys, Im new on here I thought I would put up some photos to show you how we pack hunt down here in the south pacific. In May me and 2 friends Paul and Clinton travelled from Australia over to NZ for 14 days up on the mountain.
My pack was 26 kilos, 7 kilos of which was food (we run 500 grams a day) no scope, half a shared 2 man tent , take down longbow+6 arrows, camera+tripod, 0 degree slick bag + bivy+ neo air mattress, stove 1 pot+lid, supertarp and first aid gear.
Clothes consisted of synthetic base layer (which i didnt take off for the 14 days) another synthetic base layer if it got cold, shorts, lowa hunter 10" boots, gaiters, 4 pairs of wool socks, long sleeve fleece top, fleece vest, kifaru wind shirt, beanie, and rain gear.
We took 3 days to walk in and hunted hunting from day 2.

P1160924.jpg

P1160943.jpg

P1160985.jpg

P1170014.jpg

OP
Mark Pitts
P1170380.jpg

P1170470.jpg

We got fogged in quite a bit this was taken on the top of the range.

P1170490.jpg

P1170503.jpg

It took us 3 hours to find these 2 relitively flat spots for our tents after leaving the bush line and getting onto the tops,
and another 45 minutes to prep the spot for the 2man tent so we could put it up( move rocks flatten out etc)

More pics to come.
Cheers
Mark.

OP
Mark Pitts
P1170507.jpg

P1170537.jpg

Exped venus 2 tent dual vestible dual doors abosolutly awesome tent has taken a beating up on the mountain and come through unscathed
excellent tent for 2.

P1170539.jpg

P1170559.jpg

Cheers
Mark.

OP
Mark Pitts
P1170683.jpg

P1170695.jpg

We decided to apply the backpacking rule "Everything should have at least 2 uses " to these recurve limbs.

P1170713.jpg

On the way down.
Cheers
Mark.

G Posik

WKR
Man what a trip! Thanks for bringing us along with the pictures. I would love to make a hunt down in NZ.........one day!

Glenn

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Those are some outstanding pictures thanks for sharing them with us! Love the duel use of your recurve. :) You guys have some amazing country down there that I need to check out one of these days.

Did you not find a chamois to your liking?

OP
Mark Pitts
I wasnt able to put one down this trip but Clinton managed to take a doe chamois from 15 meters
a massive achievment, even more so with trad gear.
The public land hunting in NZ is all free, you just apply for a free licence to hunt and highlight the areas you will be hunting in,
and it lasts for 6 months. No bag limits. The only thing that stands in your way is the terrain and your fitness.
So a walk in hunt can be done very cheaply, the cost will go up if you decided to chopper in ,but I guess if you were going to do
that you wouldnt be on this forum.
Thanks for your comments guys.
Cheers
Mark.

BuckSnort

WKR
Awesome photo's ... Going home with one out of two tags filled is a far more successful hunt than flying in in a chopper and filling all tags in my opinion... Thanks for sharing the pics..