NEW Zamberlan 3031 POLAR HUNTER GTX

In for this thread, though I suspect there won't be many replies.

I've researched this boot pretty hard. Zamberlan makes great boots and I've had nothing but success and happy feet in them. But my feet run cold most of the time, and I have to have warm boots whenever the temps drop toward frost. The Polar Hunter seems like a good boot design. For $625 it had better be a tremendously, fantastically good with the ability to walk on water.....not to mention ice.

I'd like to know if the boot is actually waterproof to the top of the boot...mainly thinking about the zipper and the external BOA device keeping water out during shallow crossings.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I assume they are waterproof all the way up the integrated gaiter considering: Waterproof Riri zippers are borrowed from Zamberlan’s mountaineering line of products and off waterproof entry to the inner boot. Used in Zamberlan’s most extreme boots (8000 Everest RR), the Riri zipper performs when wet or frozen, when your safety most depends on it.

That's the feature which intrigues me the most, the integrated gaiter function. It doesn't sound like they're a very stiff boot. If I'm buying a hardcore integrated gaiter mountain boot I'd prefer it to be really stiff, however again, what intrigues me is that it's a hunting type boot with the mountaineering gaiter.

I could also see myself knocking that BOA wheel on the side pretty good over rocky terrain... not sure how durable that would be. I've bent a bunch of metal boot hardware and that thing is some kind of polymer I suppose.

I'd love to try a pair and have been doing a lot of ice fishing these past years. They be great for that. Then again, my arctic muck boot 1600g are fine so no need to drop $625 lol.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.. who knows, maybe wait until they drop a 20% off sale and grab some to try.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
And then I just saw this in the review comments, just posted this morning..sounds like Zamberlan has some more work to get these right...

Loved the Boots but the first day I put them on, the second time I zippered them up the zipper came off the top of the Stops as the stop isn’t small enough which allows the zipper to come off.
25/02/2022 00:51 - Tim M.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I want the 3030 Eiger Lites. They're more expensive than the 3031s but a lot stiffer, the true mountaineering version. The wide last of the 3031s just won't work for me. I wouldn't change my mind based off of one review. The one person who probably had that happen wrote a review, the thousand other people who didn't haven't written one. It's the internet. Also, there's no telling what he did to the zipper either. It's a mixed bag on internet reviews. It just drives me nuts that Zamberlan only makes insulated hunting boots in wide lasted versions. That's why their mountaineering boots appeal to me for insulated needs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't change my mind based off of one review. The one person who probably had that happen wrote a review, the thousand other people who didn't haven't written one. It's the internet. Also, there's no telling what he did to the zipper either. It's a mixed bag on internet reviews.

Could not agree more. People are quick to post a negative as though everyone needs to know something is wrong. Meanwhile the satisfied people just keep going quietly along.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I'll keep watching them.. not ready to pull the trigger just yet. You're right about one review, that could just have just been a lemon as well. I've had to return several boots due to minor issues and the replacements have been solid.

Those Eiger lites are nice and step-in crampon compatible. I also have a very normal, narrow, high arch foot and prefer a narrow last so the 3031's may not be for me.

Like their ad says.. these are made for extreme cold, caribou, , ice fishing, canada and alaska north of the lower 48 climates. The last is wider for layering. I don't really even require an insulated boot for my style of hunting here in CO. The only use would get out of them is maybe ice fishing or static type hunting.

Just thought it interesting they combined an alpine type gaiter into a 'hunting'/'hiking' boot.. I can see a use for them in some of my activities for sure where they would replace a muck/pac boot. Kinda a super high performance pac boot :). Warm as a pac but much lighter with the high tech features of an alpine boot and I refuse to hike any distance in a pac boot.. they suck. He's replaced his mickey boots with them for the warmth and hike-ability.

Last edited:
Am I imagining things or did zamberlan have a similar more mountain oriented boot last year? That one looked more interesting to me for late season western hunts.

The roomy last and EVA midsole screams less durable/supportive to me but that may not be the case.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Am I imagining things or did zamberlan have a similar more mountain oriented boot last year? That one looked more interesting to me for late season western hunts.

The roomy last and EVA midsole screams less durable/supportive to me but that may not be the case.
The 3030 Eiger Lites are the stiffer, more mountain oriented boots. Before you get into the full- blown mountaineering boots that is. I just can't wear a wide lasted boot in the mountains, they chew my feet up. The 3031 is a wide last and not as stiff as the 3030s, but it's got camo on it lol.

I took advantage of a 20% discount and ordered a pair of the 3031 Polar Hunter boots. I figured that's the only way to really know how they fit and feel. I probably wouldn't have done it without the discount. Anyway....

I think they're butt-ugly and that's the truth. I have no idea whether I'll like them for fit and construction, though I do favor the Zamberlan wide-last fit for colder conditions and thicker socks. I intend to do a waterproof (leak) test on them almost immediately. Did I mention how ugly I think they are? If I keep them I'll probably come up with a way to permanently cover the putrid orange trim.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Post some in person pics if you don't mind. I can imagine that orange is bright in person lol.

I just watched the video again.. doesn't look that bad in the vid.. maybe it fades??

I've been doing some research into permanent dyes and colorants for vinyl and polyurethane. Found a supplier and waiting for some answers. I don't want to go down the Magic Marker route.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Funny you mention that.. I didn't care for the orange sole accents on my Schnees granite pros so I perm markered it black

Received these boots today. Out of the box for less than 30 minutes and repackaged to return.

Clumsiest boots to put on feet I've ever tried.
Zipper catches on BOA laces and on leather/velcro cross-band.
BOA lacing only reaches to ankle/instep (think low hiker).
BOA dial WILL let water through. Trust me.

I walked around in the house with these boots on. Almost immediately the vamp (top) of the boot wrinkled down hard and painfully on top of my forefoot just behind my toes on both boots. Lots of heel movement/slip due to internal heel width and lack of lacing beyond the ankle.

I'm not a negative-minded person but I would not advise anyone to buy these boots without having the ability to return them for a refund or exchange. I personally think Zamberlan will be making these for only a short time. But then.....what do I really know about selling boots?
:unsure:

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's the reason I wouldn't even consider the 3031s, that wide last and the inevitable heel slip I know would be coming.

L.G.

FNG
I picked up a pair of these last season on a discount.

I run hot, go far in steep and often very cold terrain and have what the internet calls "reynauds". I also love to ambush and, like any good ambush hunter, can sit for a good, long while. Footwear and gloves are high demand items for me. I pair these boots with Lenz heated socks.

Waterproofing is complete in my experience, but not much water flowing once I switch to these.

Stiffness +tread are a 10/10.

Boa seems like it should come up higher instead of the power strap style deal they have but the system works.

Fantastically ugly boots- white trash meets euro trash.