New vs used bows

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the responses folks. I'm pretty sure there will be a PSE EVL 34 finding its way to me in the near future. Just have to find the right one at the right price...but that's half the fun I guess.
What do you like about the EVL?

OP
M
What do you like about the EVL?
I've heard the evolve cam is amazing. Combining that with the long ATA and the long brace height should be a super forgiving bow to shoot. PSE bows were all I ever shot from the early 90s till I got my Carbon Element a decade or so ago. That may also have a bit to do with it.

I have two for my hunting bows....Prime Rivals....one bought new and one bought used for about 35% of retail price when it was a few years old. The used bow had a set of custom strings on it that put it way out of tune. I put the factory strings back on that came with it and the used bow shoots great, just like the one I bought new except the used one has less wear and tear on it.

I agree that if you are new to archery and bow tuning, go buy your bow from a reputable shop. Otherwise a used bow can be a great deal, with a tad more risk involved.

Zachh72

FNG
I have always bought last years models when it came to getting a new bow and it’s worked out for me so far might as well save some money

I've bought new bows from local shops as well as used ones from Archerytalk.com. Had good experiences from both sources. Just be thorough with your research and shoot as many brands/models that interest you. You can get some nice deals on used brand flagship bows. I'm partial to Bowtech and Hoyt bows.

omt223

FNG
All of the bows I have had have been used. The stuff in the last 10 years is pretty good; all of the cool stuff from 10 years ago can be had for like 200$ now too

WBrim

WKR
I’ve had a few great used bows, but it can be a bit of a gamble. My last few bows were old stock, new. That way it’s a healthy discount, but still new, with warranty. Sort of a happy medium.

BriderLV

FNG
I was in the same boat you are and decided to go new however instead of going with the PSE EVO EVL I shot that and the Drive NXT side by side and went with the Drive. It offer a lot of what I wanted for a lower cost. Had it almost 2 year and its a great bow.

if you like the Elite bows there is a guy on an archery forum that sells prior year models new for good prices. He will even set them up.

Picked up my halon 32-6 on AT in 2019 for $500,easily half what it cost the year prior. Came with catfish strings,got her tuned and never had an issue.
Bought my Halon 6-32 a year old from a seller and it has been perfect. I've shot the new flag ship bows and still use my Halon.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a Phase 4 33 in like new condition for about $600 less than the as new price. Just that some guys buy and sell every year. Great deals to be had on that market.

Je942010

FNG
I like buying last years flagship used, you’ll end up saving a big chunk and after the first year the seem to depreciate way slower. Leaves a lot more money in your pocket if you decide to sell it a year or 2 later.

Forfarj

FNG
Choc up another happy AT forum used bow purchase. Picked up a Halon 32/6 off there and have been shooting the heck out of it. I have a great local Mathews dealer that checked it over. Buy used and put the dollars into good sight and rest!