New vs used bows

I've been out of the compound world for a few years due to some health and vision issues. I am looking to possibly replace my 10 year old hoyt carbon element. In all my research I'm wondering if I should pick up a year or 2 older bow and save the money for accessories or if the new crop of flagship bows is worth the price. One particular bow I've had my eye on is the PSE Evo EVL 34. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

I got burned once with a used bow purchase, won't make that mistake ever again. Stick with what you have or buy something new from a dealer with a warranty. There are still some new evl 34s out there, in general that was a well liked bow. Pse evolve cams are very nice to shoot.

TxLite

WKR
I haven’t seen enough change in compound bow technology in the last 5 years to warrant brand new. I purchased a used Bowtech Realm X several years ago that has been great for me. I think if you can find a used one in good shape that would be the better route.

jonboy

FNG
Honesty, last year I was looking at new bows (Hoyt&Mathews) and just couldn’t do it. They had a Bowtech Reign 6 that I did pick up. I had one before and just didn’t think that there was much if any difference in their performance. It probably didn’t hurt that I had a Reign 6 before and wish I had kept it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have bought my last couple on Ebay, new old stock with a warranty still.

Could always just keep the element which is a fine bow and get some new goodies for it!

rideold

WKR
Used. I have two used Mathews bows (triax and V3) that I picked up via craig's list. I talked to the owners and shot the bows before purchasing. both have been solid bows and I paid close to half of retail for each of them. I have bought one new flagship bow and while I like it I don't know that I could ever justify the cost of new again.

Beendare

WKR
You can usually buy a great used bow at good prices. I bought a 3 yr old compound and its no doubt the guy was having a hard time getting it to shoot well- It was so out of tune it was crazy. No wonder he wanted to get rid of it.

I put it on a draw board and adjusted the cams and yokes- I stole it and its a shooter. …but you have to know what you are doing. Many new guys are better off buying new through a shop.

I’ve purchased both new and used over the years. For the situation you describe, I’d suggest going with a year or two old used bow. With a quick visual inspection (the right pictures can work) you can tell how the bow’s been treated. Many many guys out there upgrade to a new flagship every year and you can save hundreds on a lightly used bow in great shape. After a year or two back in the compound game, you can decide if a brand new upgrade is worth it to you.

Rambo85

FNG
Lots of people buy new bows every year save yourself some money and buy used! I got my RX-3 ultra the next year gently used for 800 dollars less than retail off eBay

Lots of good 1-2 year old bows out there at a fraction of their new cost. However, it helps to be able to work on them yourself. You can eat up those cost savings quick if paying an archery shop to put on new strings, tune it, install a rest, sight, or any other adjustment or maintenance type work. They’ll typically include first time setup as part of the deal when buying new from them.

Ditto for the used bows. I have purchased several off eBay and never had issues. I get it though if you are the type need it in your hand and inspect it. If buying off eBay I recommend checking to see if the seller offers a refund. That way you have an option to back out. You may be out the shipping but it would still be less than a new bow. Also ask questions about anything and ask for pictures of things that look questionable to you. If the person is unwilling to answer the questions and give you the info then that might be your answer right there to avoid that particular bow. Some shops will have a consignment section as well. I haven't shot the PSE EVL you mentioned, but I did shoot a PSE Carbon Air 34 (2016), essentially the same cam design. It was a great bow. My brother still shoots it.

4rcgoat

WKR
Three used bows off ArcheryTalk from reputable forum members. Three great bows at 40% - 60% off the price of new. Couple years older than new, and still very good bows.
Picked up my halon 32-6 on AT in 2019 for $500,easily half what it cost the year prior. Came with catfish strings,got her tuned and never had an issue.

OP
M
I appreciate all the responses folks. I'm pretty sure there will be a PSE EVL 34 finding its way to me in the near future. Just have to find the right one at the right price...but that's half the fun I guess.

Agross

WKR
I bought the bow I’m using now used. I’ve been shooting it for 13 years. It was a year old when I bought it on eBay. It came fully set up and I paid half of what all of it woulda cost new, and it was all like new. I don’t think I’d ever buy new. So many people updating their setups frequently. There’s always deals to be found on hardly used bows.

rclouse79

WKR
The possibility of getting a bow that was dry fired is enough for me to buy new.

nphunter

WKR
For me, it depends on the bow, my personal hunting bow I like to have a new bow with a warranty. My wife and kids hunting bows I can get them cheap enough that it doesn't make sense to take the loss on a new bow, they also don't hunt as I do. I spend a lot of time archery hunting, I probably average 50 days a year dragging my bow around and abusing it in the elements, and want it to last.

I've had 4 sets of limbs replaced due to splintering and one riser replaced all under warranty bows from two different companies, those items alone made up the difference in buying new vs used. I also shot my last bow for 8 seasons which is also a factor for me. I wouldn't be afraid of a used bow and all of the bows I've sold to people have been well taken care of and dialed in for them when they got them.

Sometimes you just get a lemon bow as well, I believe the majority by far are great bows. My buddy bought a New old stock RX1 a couple of years back and the first time he drew it back the roller guard pulled out of the riser. He ended up taking it to a local Hoyt shop and the shop epoxied it in at the recommendation of Hoyt, the seller worked with that shop to make it right for him, and ever since it's been a great bow for him.