New Vortex Viper HD FFP

LRHFox

FNG
I like what I’m seeing from Vortex on the new Viper HD scopes.

However I feel like they missed on not making the 3x15x44 in a FFP.

Any rumblings on whether there is a plan for a FFP version in the reduced magnification?

Kurts86

WKR
It has always seemed to me that Vortex always raced UP in magnification and not down. My favorite vortex scope was the Razor LH 1.5-8x32 and they killed that off. It’s possible but I don’t seem them doing it.

OP
L

LRHFox

FNG
I like the premise of the new scopes. I just feel the 5-25 is a bit too big for most of my uses.

I’ve really gravitated to the 2-18 range.

Be it I’ve kinda told myself to buy FFP only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I like what I’m seeing from Vortex on the new Viper HD scopes.

However I feel like they missed on not making the 3x15x44 in a FFP.

Any rumblings on whether there is a plan for a FFP version in the reduced magnification?
Doesn't sound like it, if they thought there was a market for it they would've done that model now.

People have been asking for an FFP 3-15 LHT ever since that was launched, but I'm guessing it's a very small number otherwise an FFP version of this 3-15 would've been a nice alternative.

OP
L

LRHFox

FNG
Doesn't sound like it, if they thought there was a market for it they would've done that model now.

People have been asking for an FFP 3-15 LHT ever since that was launched, but I'm guessing it's a very small number otherwise an FFP version of this 3-15 would've been a nice alternative.

Well I might just bite the bullet and go SFP.

The deal they are running right now on optics planet puts them right at $500. Which is pretty ridiculous.

Dualsight

FNG
Well I might just bite the bullet and go SFP.

The deal they are running right now on optics planet puts them right at $500. Which is pretty ridiculous.

At Optics Planet I see the $85 off for purchases over $550 through Memorial Day weekend, and the 10% off when subscribing to their email list. Is there something else that brings the total cost down to $500? The 3-15x44mm is listed at $699.99.

Cabela's has an online only 15% off going on right now and they are offering either the MOA or BDC reticle in the 3-15x44mm. Looks like Optics Planet only has the BDC reticle option for this scope.

I ended up going through Cabela's with the 15% off online purchase and shipping is free. They have a 60 day return policy, and there is a Cabela's store near me so it will save a return shipping cost if a return is in order.

OP
L

LRHFox

FNG
At Optics Planet I see the $85 off for purchases over $550 through Memorial Day weekend, and the 10% off when subscribing to their email list. Is there something else that brings the total cost down to $500? The 3-15x44mm is listed at $699.99.

Cabela's has an online only 15% off going on right now and they are offering either the MOA or BDC reticle in the 3-15x44mm. Looks like Optics Planet only has the BDC reticle option for this scope.

I ended up going through Cabela's with the 15% off online purchase and shipping is free. They have a 60 day return policy, and there is a Cabela's store near me so it will save a return shipping cost if a return is in order.

I’ve been really impressed with my viper HD. Super impressive optic for the price.

I ask because I am really interested in something pst gen 2-ish for one rifle I have. There are a lot of options in that space and the competition seems to keep prices reasonable there. I'm not opposed to any of them really, though obviously the less weight the better for a scope I'd hunt with. And I'm a bit shy of the mped just because of negative stories about Bushnell warranty, although many people say it's slightly better than the pst gen 2.

I've heard several people say the new Viper HD is noticeably better glass than the gen 2. If true that sounds pretty good to me. Many folks like the strike eagle but I prefer the glass on the gen 2, as it has less CA to my eyes than strike eagle.

I've also noticed slightly more CA on the razor LHT when looking thru them (limited sample size), but its not terribly bad and I otherwise like the LHT. I think maybe the shorter length scopes just struggle with it more, and I guess I'm just a little more sensitive to it than some people. Plus I'm in the camp who'd prefer an FFP version of the 3-15 LHT that they don't make, and for that money I sorta want what I want, you know? It'd be easier for me to "settle" for SFP on the Viper HD since it's less $$$. Anyhow to me the LHT is better glass than the gen 2 in terms of clarity/resolution at distance, and I could put up with noticing slightly more CA in it as its not terribly bad and the trade-off in size and weight would be worth it for hunting. I'm just not sold on it as my best option for the $$$.

Anyone with a Viper HD who has used some of these other scopes can comment on how it compares to scopes such as the pst gen 2, mped, razor LHT, Ares etr, vx3, vx5, mk4hd, optika 6, SHV, etc?

Most specifically the glass, but all info is appreciated.

OP
L

LRHFox

FNG
I have a PST gen II, I need to compare glass to give you an apples to apples comparison. Honestly, glass is so subjective, why my eyes tell me for you could be totally different.

The Viper HD seems to have all the features for the LHT with half the cost. To me I can’t imagine a situation where if you are hunting the glass is what inhibits your ability to make a shot.

Between the PST gen II and the Viper HD, ones more set up for target and does really well there, the other is more hunting. At that point it’s whether FFP and SFP really matter. I tried to switch to all FFP, but went with the SFP Viper, honestly, if you are within 600yds and understand you holdovers. SFP does great.