New Vehicle

MtnOyster

WKR
Delete that thing and get a good tune for it. I would not put up with that terrible mileage.

been looking at the deletes and tunes, lots of guys around here running them but most say small milage increase all say huge power increase but i dont need more power.

Dang, you have a unicorn, with my 2011 GMC 6.0, I get 10mpg in town and 14.5mpg hwy avg. I can go 430 miles with hwy driving but it has a 32gal tank.

My brothers business has over 40 GM's with the 6.0 all get 14.5 hwy unloaded and 9mpg towing from model year 2002 to 2016. They have only had one that seized a motor, other then the newer ones most have 200k+ and are going strong, one of the most reliable GM power trains out there but they are gas hogs.

I have 2 -15's dmax's that are avg'ng somewhere in the neighborhood of 16mpg.... they tow most days and don't often leave 4wd. They have been a nightmare though in terms of recalls and warranty work

I have 1 09' dmax that has been bullet proof but gets 12ish

the 6.0's gassers are such an amazing motor. I have never had a major issue in any of the one's I've owned, again lots of 4wd and towing. I always figured 6.0 also stood for the fuel economy you'll get. To be fair I think every one of them has been/is geared 4:10. They like gas but as far as maint. there's no better.... except for maybe gm's 8.1 :)

been looking at the deletes and tunes, lots of guys around here running them but most say small milage increase all say huge power increase but i dont need more power.

Im not a Dmax guy but Idaho Rob has been around a long time and is/was a hardcore duramax guy. Id give them a call at Adrenaline Truck Performance and just ask what you can expect as far as mileage gains. That is a big upside to tuning but it doesnt get talked about as much as making more HP does. I have no ties to him, ive just seen him around on the forum forever and heard of the good work he does.

** Sorry for the thread Hijack

qwerksc

WKR
My '99 Ram pick-up was retired recently (after over 15 yrs) for another Ram. I was all prepared to purchase a new '17 Power Wagon until I did my homework and ended up buying a slightly used '14 Laramie Ltd with ecodeisel (up to 30MPG) instead. Put some coin into it and transformed it into what I wanted.

Even with the added weight it still averages 19-23MPG...nice to go 500+ miles before refueling on a 26 gal tank. Can burn rubber from a dead stop too. I'm please so far.

Bought it like this:

What it looks like now:

Put a BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover on it last weekend so I can lock up the bed.

My rationale has always been to buy a used truck. You save money and won't be afraid to use like a wheel barrel (which it is). Every little ding and scratch will bug you if you buy a new one...this I can take offraod without worry.

I added a BDS 6" lift with power steps for greater clearance and HID headlights with LEDs in the bumper for offroading:

[video=youtube;0-jNhzTS9cY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY[/video]

I gotta tuck in the side mirrors in the tighter spots but it handles the backcountry just fine.

[video=youtube;q_ijoCm5AoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ijoCm5AoI[/video]

Consider getting a used vehicle and use the savings to customize it. The ecodeisel rocks! Even when towing a large heavy trailer I averaged 17MPG.

What front bumper is that? I'm looking for one for my 06 2500.

What front bumper is that? I'm looking for one for my 06 2500.

It's an Iron Bull. Took a lot longer than expected to complete because when the Iron Bull bumper was sandblasted for color-matching, it looked like something Fred Flintstone chiseled by hand. All kinds of holes and gashes and the lines weren't even close! I was so pissed!!! (You wouldn't see this until you remove the thick powder coating.)

But the offroad shop I used has a guy who said if I gave him the time to work on it during his free time he could fix it. He began grinding and lapping on it and after 5 weeks got the lines perfect. Once painted it looked as clean as the plastic bumper that was on it before. The guy was meticulous.

That said, expect mounting problems. They claim to have updated the bumper for newer model trucks but didn't and getting it centered and tight to the headlights was a biach. They warp once they start welding on em. Nice looking but a serious P.I.T.A. bumper. In the photos above you can see the left side is tighter to the headlight than the right...I finally got that fixed but it took a while. If you have front proximity sensors duplicate the placement EXACTLY as they are shown in the images above or you will experience problems. Measure 5 times, drill once.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an 01 frontier 4x4 manual with the 3.3 v6 with 290k, original motor. I have also owned multiple 3.slow Toyotas and a Tacoma, and my business partner owns a 15 taco 4 cylinder 5 speed. My Nissan has more power and will it drive his 15. I absolutely love the Nissan. That being said, if I were looking at a newer 1/2 ton or smaller, it would either be a 1/2 ton ram eco diesel, or the Colorado with the Duramax.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Have you driven a 4.0 Tacoma? Comparing your truck to a 4 banger is apples to oranges.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
We are hunters. Please Lord tell me that subaru is not an option on this forum. Please.
why does what someone drives identify them as a hunter? The Subaru is probably a better option than some of the other recommendations I've seen on this thread. AWD and upper 30s on fuel mileage. Not a truck on the market that touches that for the price. Most guys put their truck in 4wd less than 5 times a year.

Carl

FNG
Have you driven a 4.0 Tacoma? Comparing your truck to a 4 banger is apples to oranges.

I have not, and don't want to argue, as I have been a Toyota guy up until this Nissan. But I do feel that comparing a 15 year old 3.3l v6 to a 2.7l I4 that is two years old with 270k less miles is a decent comparison.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been driving a 2010 Tacoma, I love the thing but the headlights are dim. Has anyone tried any after-market LED Halo headlamps? I would like to get some advise before I purchase.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Better bulbs help a ton, also headlight renewal kit will clear any haze you may have

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I have been driving a 2010 Tacoma, I love the thing but the headlights are dim. Has anyone tried any after-market LED Halo headlamps? I would like to get some advise before I purchase.

I bought my 08 Tacoma used and I guess they felt the same way as they put in Xenon HID. I had to replace them once due to poor wiring on their part but I gotta say I hate seeing cars with them coming my way but I love driving one with them. Light up the night is an understatement.

ChrisS

WKR
I've been running a 2011 Frontier for seven years now - just crossed 100k. Other than general wear and tear, it's been a trooper. The only thing that would be to replace the stock leafsprings with something beefier if you're planning for offroading/dodgy FS roads. Both of mine snapped and so did my friend's. Seems to be a common problem.

Edited to add: not a gamechanger, but the utilitrac system that Nissan has is incredibly handy and the factory spray-in bedliner is durable as hell.

Billinsd

WKR
Another vote for Tacoma. I got a 2003 with 120,000 miles that has been great. I had a 94 Nissan truck, a 2000 Maxima, and 2002 Murano, and they were not as reliable. I personally don't like Nissans, however, they seem less expensive to buy.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting out of a 2009 , 2010, 2012 and my current 2015 diesel Chevy 3500 extended cab 4*4 in state and out of state. And my 2013 Subaru outback works better at half the cost. I don't feel as cool driving it, but definitely feel smart at the gas pump. Still working on my bha, seekoutside, and kifaru sticker layout tho lol

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just going to chime in on the Nissan Xterra as I have a good friend who has run a couple over the last few years. For starters he absolutely loved both of them and could drive them anywhere you can take a vehicle. He never had mechanical issues with either rig. However, when he upgraded to the newer xterra and had the engine tuned he was super excited to be getting 17 mpg...

I've been hunting out of a 2009 , 2010, 2012 and my current 2015 diesel Chevy 3500 extended cab 4*4 in state and out of state. And my 2013 Subaru outback works better at half the cost. I don't feel as cool driving it, but definitely feel smart at the gas pump. Still working on my bha, seekoutside, and kifaru sticker layout tho lol

I don't know about you.... but I've had a 11', 12' and now 2- 15's Dmax's and have had nothing but headaches in regards to the def systems. I have an 09 I kept that's been flawless but after 20K it started rattling like the cab was going to fall apart. I personally would hunt out of a gasser over a diesel any day of the week. Regardless if the badge said subaru

I've got an 11' cummins 4500 I put $7500 into a brand new def system last year.... as a whole i htink their a better truck (minus the transmissions, allisons have been good to me) but they certainly aren't like the older one's (pre-def).