New updated InReach plans -

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Just cancelled my basic plan now that iphones can text directly via satellite. I also have TMobile which should get direct starlink access very soon.

I just don't see these slow, expensive standalone devices surviving unless they're easy cheaper or even free.
I believe you can only message others with IOS 18 via satellites at this time. I know for certain they have to have it to message you back.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So for a guy who sends/receives 10 total messages a year but wants it ready to go. Would the $7.99 plan be the way to go?

It may fall to 0 next year since I have an IPhone 15 but I do not want problems in field should I need to get a massage out with the inreach.
Yes in my opinion. The $7.99 plan allows SOS free if needed. Its $0.50 per message pay as you go so you'd need to send 14+ messages in a month to exceed the cost of the $14.99tier.

JF_Idaho

WKR
Being on the annual safety plan it's cheaper for me to keep it as I rarely go over the allotted messages.

I think right now it 11.99 a month and would be 14.99 to go to the comparable plan (with more messages)

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
The key to sending InReach messages is to tell the recipient ‘No need to reply unless an emergency’

Too many people just want to reply. And that counts towards your message count.