New Ultra Light Arms sold to Wilson Combat

OP
I think the 6.5x284 would be great in a light rifle. I am not a fan of recoil, and putting a suppressor on a light rifle seems to defeat the purpose.

I had a 308 Fieldcraft that kicked with the heavies. I changed it for a 7-08 and shoot lighter bullets. I am still kicking myself for passing up a .243 win Fieldcraft on clearance for $1100 because I thought I had too many rifles 🥲. Those have a 3” box as well.

For the amount of money you are willing to spend, get exactly what you want!
I think much like you do. So much game has been killed by cartridges that are not cannons. And I do own a couple of heavy hitters, but I know they're not essential. I like the versatility that the 6.5x284 Norma offers. It will put an elk on the skids yet it will not beat you up in the process. And it's got a neat history and a bit of panache.

I missed out on a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle as well. I remember seeing them several times and I picked them up and played with them, thinking "this would make a great backpack rifle". But I never got one and now everyone that has one is very glad they have it. I did get a Tikka T3x SuperLite in 6.5 Creedmoor about four years ago and it's a great rifle. I've been shooting 140 grain Nosler AccuBonds out of it and get about 3/4 inch groups to MOA groups, depending on how well I'm shooting that day.

In all honesty I know that I could just use the Tikka exclusively as my lightweight rifle and be just fine. But I'm wanting a custom job, and as much as I love Tikka rifles, I've never really warmed up to the drop box magazine. Just a floorplate man, and then blind magazine. Never have really liked detachable mags for a bolt action rifle, yet I own a couple...go figure. At least they're shooters, which helps make up for their lack of class haha.

I think that elk is just playing dead...probably wasn't really dead until you gutted him/her depending on how it identified....that's been true with all the ones I've shot with 284...just playing dead...mine wears an NXS and comes in at 6.85 lbs...quite a bit lighter with a Leopold but kinda like the nightforce.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
How do you like the nxs? Thinking about picking one up

I think much like you do. So much game has been killed by cartridges that are not cannons. And I do own a couple of heavy hitters, but I know they're not essential. I like the versatility that the 6.5x284 Norma offers. It will put an elk on the skids yet it will not beat you up in the process. And it's got a neat history and a bit of panache.

I missed out on a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle as well. I remember seeing them several times and I picked them up and played with them, thinking "this would make a great backpack rifle". But I never got one and now everyone that has one is very glad they have it. I did get a Tikka T3x SuperLite in 6.5 Creedmoor about four years ago and it's a great rifle. I've been shooting 140 grain Nosler AccuBonds out of it and get about 3/4 inch groups to MOA groups, depending on how well I'm shooting that day.

In all honesty I know that I could just use the Tikka exclusively as my lightweight rifle and be just fine. But I'm wanting a custom job, and as much as I love Tikka rifles, I've never really warmed up to the drop box magazine. Just a floorplate man, and then blind magazine. Never have really liked detachable mags for a bolt action rifle, yet I own a couple...go figure. At least they're shooters, which helps make up for their lack of class haha.
The only downside I see to the 6.5x284 is depending on bullet choice you may have a harder time fitting it in a short action mag. I think a 6.5 creedmoor would work well too without losing a lot in performance. That being said id like to have a 6.5x284 short action NULA Just because.

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
Should have ordered a NULA months ago I guess. Mr. Forbes is just a few hours north of me.

Thought I read on his site he sourced barrels from a place in WV as well?
Douglas barrels is out of Charleston. Sounds like you’re right between both of them.

Dhbwa

WKR
Thank you for your response! You make some very good points. Given what you and a few of the other guys have told me, I think that I'm going to go with the Rifles Inc. route for a custom lightweight rifle. I sent Lex Webernick an email asking a few questions and I look forward to hearing from him soon. With what I'm wanting to do and have built, I think that a Rifles Inc Lightweight 70 is going to be exactly what I'm looking for. I have a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36mm scope that I'm thinking is going to be mounted up in Talley Lightweight rings. Just want to keep it as light as possible, I've got other rifles with more optical firepower for longer range work.
A M70 is not going to be nearly as light as a similar build on a M700….
Another option is buy a Kimber Montana and have it redone although a 284 is a no go.
I have a RI 280 and it’s nice. Still working on a load to get consistent sub 1” 3 shot groups but it’s close….
You need to determine a weight and then determine who can build those then lastly determine the builder….

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
lex builds a fine rifle as did melvin,what calibers are you considering.as far as im concerned lex is way overpriced.you can get many quality smiths to build you a lightweight custom rifle.you just need the correct components.also save enough to buy decent glass for it.just food for thought.you want recommendations on some excellent gunsmihs that are very reasonable.just ask.

schmalzy

WKR
A M70 is not going to be nearly as light as a similar build on a M700….
Another option is buy a Kimber Montana and have it redone although a 284 is a no go.
I have a RI 280 and it’s nice. Still working on a load to get consistent sub 1” 3 shot groups but it’s close….
You need to determine a weight and then determine who can build those then lastly determine the builder….

Might be overkill but you could build on an 84L action and still be extremely light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unoboats

WKR
I'm pretty serious on getting a custom lightweight rifle. I was just set on NULA, but now that they're being bought by Wilson, I'd just rather go to Rifles Inc. unless someone gives me a good reason to avoid that company. I've only ever heard good about Lex Webernick and his work.

I don't want a 284 Win simply because I don't need or want another 7mm cartridge in the stable. I've got a healthy supply of 6.5x284 Norma brass as well and loaded Norma ammunition, too.

I would imagine that the Wilson NULA rifles will be good ones, at least I'd hope they would be. I've just never been someone to take the first jump on something new. We've all seen it more than once when a brand gets bought and the new company is not building the items as well as the old one. I'm not saying that Wilson would turn out junk; but I think it's fair to guess that it may take a while to build a rifle as well as they were being made by Melvin Forbes' hands.

Long story short, I'm just curious about Rifles Inc and some other custom makers out there. I already have some of what are considered high end factory rifles, so the focus is definitely on a custom shop.
I took a Kimber Subalpine 84L and rebarreled it with a fluted Hart bbl in a 284 win. It’s a tack driver and light.