Dream rifle (NULA in 6mm ARC) needs an optic

I need help. In 2022, a lifelong dream was achieved when I became the owner of New Ultra Light Arms (NULA) rifle in 6mm ARC. This was one of the last NULAs made, and I consider myself so very lucky. At the time, I sent Melvin Forbes a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm, which he mounted and zeroed. It worked great, but when I made adjustments on a prairie dog field, I lost confidence in the scope.

So, my question is this: If this were your dream rifle, what scope would you mount? With handloads, I should be able to get 103/108 bullets up to 2,800 fps, so it could be a 600+ yard rifle if a wolf pops up. For other big game, I'll likely stay within 400 due to my abilities, not the rifle's. Today, I put a Trijicon 3-9x40 AccuPoint on the NULA. Haven't shot it yet, but I figure this scope with custom Kenton turrets might be as good as I can get for a compact rifle with a relatively svelte scope.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any and all input.

Attachments

• NULA ARC.jpeg
    NULA ARC.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
The 2.5-10x32 absolutely blows. No parallax, tight eyebox, fisheye image, and terrible reticle options for a whopping .2oz weight savings over the 2.5-10x42.

I think it’s funny that people like stuff just because they can’t get it anymore that was discontinued because it sucked. It’s like taking a toy from a kid that they don’t even like to play with, it sucks until it’s gone.

If that’s the type of optic you want, buy the x42 that’s actually available, it’s head and shoulders above that turd.

Clark33

WKR
The 2.5-10x32 absolutely blows. No parallax, tight eyebox, fisheye image, and terrible reticle options for a whopping .2oz weight savings over the 2.5-10x42.

I think it’s funny that people like stuff just because they can’t get it anymore that was discontinued because it sucked. It’s like taking a toy from a kid that they don’t even like to play with, it sucks until it’s gone.

If that’s the type of optic you want, buy the x42 that’s actually available, it’s head and shoulders above that turd.
Bad take.

I have 2.5-10x32 with mil dot reticle, it’s a great optic. For SFP hunting scope at 10x I think the whole no parallax is big nothing burger, optic works fine for hunting ranges.

I’d vote NF NXS as well.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider

I had one. I absolutely had to find one and when I did I paid a premium for it… such a letdown. Sold it and don’t miss it one bit.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Bad take.

I have 2.5-10x32 with mil dot reticle, it’s a great optic. For SFP hunting scope at 10x I think the whole no parallax is big nothing burger, optic works fine for hunting ranges.

I’d vote NF NXS as well.

He’s speaking the truth. Very overrated optic

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
They’re a pain to find but I run a SWFA 3-9 on my left hand Forbes. It’s weighs 4 pounds 10 ounces bare so I would assume similar to the above rifle. It feels fine to me and I just have a lot of confidence in that scope and its reticle in any light. It’s annoying to have to make your own zero stops though! The rumor is they are revamping this line so if you can hold off there is a chance the new version will have zero stop built in

Very nice and useful rifle you have there!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey how far out are you planning on shooting p dogs?

My dedicated LONG range varmint gun has a Minox ZP5 5-25x56 on it. Glass is wonderful at all zoom ranges, it’s very reliable in my experience, and allows me to get enough magnification for ground squirrels, rock chucks, prarie dogs, rabbits, and coyotes to wayyyyyy out there.

I've got a 3x9 trijicon accupoint on my fieldcraft. Light and bright and tough. I like it a lot.....but I don't dial.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
I need help. In 2022, a lifelong dream was achieved when I became the owner of New Ultra Light Arms (NULA) rifle in 6mm ARC. This was one of the last NULAs made, and I consider myself so very lucky. At the time, I sent Melvin Forbes a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm, which he mounted and zeroed. It worked great, but when I made adjustments on a prairie dog field, I lost confidence in the scope.

So, my question is this: If this were your dream rifle, what scope would you mount? With handholds, I should be able to get 103/108 bullets up to 2,800 fps, so it could be a 600+ yard rifle if a wolf pops up. For other big game, I'll likely stay within 400 due to my abilities, not the rifle's. Today, I put a Trijicon 3-9x40 AccuPoint on the NULA. Haven't shot it yet, but I figure this scope with custom Kenton turrets might be as good as I can get for a compact rifle with a relatively svelte scope.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any and all input.
If you're going to dial and you have a good reticle on the accupoint(many are available), I think you have the optic you need.

Weldor

WKR
I put a Zeiss v4 on my Seekins 6mm creed, 4x16. It works great and dials fine. plus it's lightweight.

Loper

WKR
I’d stick with the Accupoint. It checks a lot of boxes for that rifle, durable, relatively lightweight, and has an illuminated dot which I think can be beneficial. If you only plan to shoot out to 400, you may not need to dial with the right reticle.

ljalberta

WKR
SWFA 3-9 when available again or used. I’d also ditch the Talley LWs if you have any concern about zero retention for some rough and tumble roads or hunts. I had them on my Fieldcraft even though there are heaps of gailure stories. Had a failure this year, although thankfully it was only on a doe hunt and i was still able to get the doe.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA 3-9 when available again or used. I’d also ditch the Talley LWs if you have any concern about zero retention for some rough and tumble roads or hunts. I had them on my Fieldcraft even though there are heaps of gailure stories. Had a failure this year, although thankfully it was only on a doe hunt and i was still able to get the doe.

What exactly happened to them? I’m beginning to get leary of my Talley LWs I have on a couple rifles I use regularly.

I for one have the Talley LW on my .340 Wby. I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BRH mounted in them.They were installed by the gunsmith in Colorado that rebarreled my Wby Mk V. That was in 2015, and have had no problems. I was speaking to him about 3 weeks ago, and told him I have been seeing lots of failure reports on the Talley LW. I asked him what mount he uses recommends now, and his reply was "Still use Talley LW. If you torque them properly, they are just fine." He can use anything on the custom rifles he builds , and he still uses Talley LW.

Last edited: