Dream rifle (NULA in 6mm ARC) needs an optic

Clark33

WKR
My Fieldcraft/NXS 32 went from Talleys to a Murphy Precision Ti rail and NF Ultralight’s.

I couldn’t give a shit if my 2.5-10x32 was like looking through a fish bowl, it’s not quite there, as I know everything I need to know about what I’m shooting from looking through Kowa and Swaro glass prior to getting on the gun. It’s compact, light, has a great reticle for hunting and is tough as an old goat.
I agree, I’m starting to think some dont know how to focus a scope and then blame the scope. I don’t get the fish bowl reference and before he reeeee’s at me I have multiple other NF scopes to compare it too.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That nightforce 4.5x24 does look pretty nice and I would assume it’s as rugged as physically possible considering its fixed power and a nightforce. I wonder what it’s like in person? Especially in low light with that reticle and tiny objective.

Not the person you asked, but I had a set of 1” Talley LW’s split at the screw. They were torqued to spec

Edit to clarify. The ring split at the screw hole. The screw itself didn’t split.

View attachment 646818
Thanks for the picture. That is eye opening. I like the Murphy Precision Ti rail, looks great and checked into the NF Ultralights, it seems they don't make rings for the 1 inch tube.

edited to add- Also looked at ARC rings at Brownell's. It seems they don't have any 1 inch rings either. Any quality rings available for scopes with a 1 inch tube?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Another option that intrigues me is Nightforce's 4.5x24mm Competition SR Fixed scope. That might be just the ticket. Anyone used that optic?

Yes. The reticle in the 4.5x24mm SR is purpose built for service rifle and is sub par for anything else. At 15oz, it also isn’t all that light. For 2oz more (17oz) the NX8 1-8x is a much better field scope. The FC-DMx reticle is also usable across the entire mag range.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the eye opening on the Talley's. As long as mine holds it's zero, I'm good, but if anything starts meandering from the zero, I will definitely consider replacing the Talleys. Brings up the next question, what bases and rings are most reliable on a Weatherby .340 and a Swarovski scope? I guess I mean which bases and rings have less of a failure rate than Talley?
I can't help on the mounts, but I got rid of a Z5 because it wouldn't rtz after dialing. Still have Talleys on the rifle but switching scopes fixed all the impact shift issues I was having.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
What did you replace the Talleys with on the Fieldcraft? I have a 6.5 cm Fieldcraft with Talleys that I've been meaning to upgrade, but I haven't found any compelling direct mount options.

I went with 2 purchases. The first is the DNZ Direct Mounts. The lowest available however is Medium Height, which isn't my favourite. These haven't arrived yet, but once they do, I'll see how they look and feel and decide if I want to mount them and drop test.

I also ordered a custom Murphy Rail and Ken Farrell Low Rings. The rail started as a standard Murphy rail for a Fieldcraft, but was slightly lowered, shortened, made from 7075 aluminum, and then bevel cut up front for the scope objective. I will be mounting and drop testing this setup. It's about as low as I could get on a rail/ring combo, but is still higher than I would prefer.

If I'm not satisfied with either of these, there was a guy on 24HC who was made a couples batches of stainless direct mounts based off the Talleys, but .05" lower. I believe they were coming in around 4.5 oz, and not cheap. But if he has anymore, I may reach out and give them a try. These would be the lowest available option, and I suspect they would be fairly sturdy as well.

I can't help on the mounts, but I got rid of a Z5 because it wouldn't rtz after dialing. Still have Talleys on the rifle but switching scopes fixed all the impact shift issues I was having.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

They don’t like to dial but they hold zero great and the BRH/BRX is essentially a simple mil tree reticle so they’re great for holding. I’ve got a couple Z3’s and a Z5 and have never had a shift. One of my Z3’s is on a kimber Montana 243 that’s been on there for like 15 years. Still shooting the same lot of ammo that I bought a few cases of and it hits POA/POI every time I’ve confirm zero.

I’m putting another on my lightweight 6mm ARC.

Elkbelter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with Ballistic turret is great, 17 oz.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I use a SWFA 3-9, a Talley pic rail and APA low (.750) rings on mine. IMG_4728.jpeg

Some sharp looking setups here. I have a NULA 280ai in a fast twist barrel, and wound up going with conetrol rings. I eventually went backwards optically and have a little leupold 2.5-8 with a bc reticle on mine in the lowest rings, it is super sleek and light, balances right, and at 2.5x points like a shotgun. It’s nice to be able to carry it with one hand wrapped around the whole thing, and I don’t have big hands. It is really fast and easy to use out to 600 yards with the bc reticle. It is a used scope so I suppose it’ll blow up on me at some point. And I’m sure someday I’ll watch a blurry something with a nice rack fade into the shadows in low light without being able to make a shot, but it’s the best compromise for me so far. I’d love to find really high end glass that is that light and compact in that kind of power range…

OP
StupidLightweight
What about the Maven RS.2 2-10x38? Only 12 oz. and the recent Maven 1.2 passed the drop eval, although I believe a previous model didn’t pass.

@StupidLightweight OP, what did you end up with?
I kept the Trijicon and added Talley bases and rings to the NULA 6mm ARC.

Speaking of this dream rifle, PM me if anyone is interested in buying it. I recently got my FFL/SOT and have been going crazy with suppressors. I mention that because I can't bring myself to chop and thread the barrel, so it's time to sell to someone who will enjoy it as-is.

NULA-6ARC.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I kept the Trijicon and added Talley bases and rings to the NULA 6mm ARC.

Speaking of this dream rifle, PM me if anyone is interested in buying it. I recently got my FFL/SOT and have been going crazy with suppressors. I mention that because I can't bring myself to chop and thread the barrel, so it's time to sell to someone who will enjoy it as-is.

View attachment 701885

What action is that on? The 223?