New truck prices

Titan_Bow

WKR
So, my trusty Nissan Xterra Pro-4X has met its match versus a little forky mule deer. I really didnt think they'd total it, but the collision place sent the estimate to Progressive for 13K! So, looks like I am going to be in the market for a new truck. I've been waffling between a lightly used one and a brand new one. The main reason I was looking at new, is that for Nissans, it seems like you could potentially haggle them down fairly low from MSRP, and get a better APR on a new versus used. This would be my 3rd Nissan in 20 years, and between my first Titan, and the Xterra, nearly 500K miles of problem-free driving, other than minor stuff and routine maintenance.
So, I am really wanting a base model crew cab 4x4 Titan. My first Titan was a 2004 base model, I really loved the vinyl floor and bench seats. I drove that first one 280K miles.
Question is, what is the best resource online to truly know what you ought to be paying for a new truck? I used to trust edmunds.com way way back in the day, but I think now they are in bed with the manufacturers, and aren't going to give you the "real" lowest price. Is there really such a thing as true invoice price? Will a dealer typically accept an offer at or near true invoice? Where to do you find that?

idcuda

WKR
I checked Costco and true car in 2018 when I was buying a ram heavy duty. They were both way too high for the area (Idaho). Dillon and Dave Smith both had advertised, no haggle prices that were thousands lower. Anyone who used those services got robbed, in my opinion.

So, I don't know, other than vetting as much info as possible from the internet forums and dealer pricing. And, if there are any massive volume dealers of Nissan's, check with them. May be worth driving a few hundred miles.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you invoice info, too.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Man you guys are buying at the worst possible time. The used car market is higher than its been in a decade. The new market isn’t much better because the manufacturers aren’t producing cars at full capacity. I heard Gm is doing employee pricing which is going to be about as good as it gets. Prices should be slightly better in January, but I think they’ll go back up even higher into spring and especially summer. If it were me, I’d take a hard look at new. The prices of used are just too close, especially if you can get 0 percent or close on new.

ZDR

WKR
I brought a new RAM earlier this year and the dealership gave me employee pricing. They also threw in several nice maintenance plans, leather seat care, minor dent and paint repair (which I already used and it was great), free oil changes for 3 years etc...
dont hesitate to deal in this environment.

renagde

WKR
Cargurus is a great resource. It's actually a pretty great market to be buying vehicles right now. Sales numbers are way down due to not being opened for a number of months this spring. Also with the threat of another shut down, it seams people aren't buying cars very much. I recently had to replace my wifes car and we went with a Subaru. Found it on Cargurus and drove 1 1/2 hours to see it. It was already listed at a pretty good price (compared with all other cars I was looking at nationwide and KBB). I was able to bring them down only about $700 but they certified it for me (1.99% interest) and I bought the extended bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty for a total of about $1000. I was pretty happy with the price. According to the salesman, they had a goal of over 200 cars for the month and they hadn't even hit 80 and it was already like the 21st of November. I would say with the current state of unrest and the economy, plus with the end of the year and Christmas you should be able to get some pretty good deals, especially on previous year models that have been sitting on the lot.

Blueeyes

FNG
But edmumds still isn't that bad,checked for a tundra and when i checked elsewhere it was just few bucks different

Titan

WKR
Employee pricing and those other "sales events" are not usually your best deal. Used truck market is through the roof. You will most likely score a better deal on a brand new unit with rebates vs a year or two old truck.

I have bought 2 nissan trucks, 24-28% off msrp. Not sure you will get quite that much currently, but go in with the knowledge of what you are willing to pay based on % off msrp. Doesn't matter how you get there (discounts, rebates, etc.). Invoice is usually just a starting point.

Get on a Titan forum and find a thread about prices paid. Look over that last 6 months of posts showing what everyone else has paid. Average out that % off and you have your estimate.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used truck a few months ago. I just checked and the same trucks are going for about 10% more. Crazy.

Tod osier

WKR
So, my trusty Nissan Xterra Pro-4X has met its match versus a little forky mule deer. I really didnt think they'd total it, but the collision place sent the estimate to Progressive for 13K! So, looks like I am going to be in the market for a new truck. I've been waffling between a lightly used one and a brand new one. The main reason I was looking at new, is that for Nissans, it seems like you could potentially haggle them down fairly low from MSRP, and get a better APR on a new versus used. This would be my 3rd Nissan in 20 years, and between my first Titan, and the Xterra, nearly 500K miles of problem-free driving, other than minor stuff and routine maintenance.
So, I am really wanting a base model crew cab 4x4 Titan. My first Titan was a 2004 base model, I really loved the vinyl floor and bench seats. I drove that first one 280K miles.
Question is, what is the best resource online to truly know what you ought to be paying for a new truck? I used to trust edmunds.com way way back in the day, but I think now they are in bed with the manufacturers, and aren't going to give you the "real" lowest price. Is there really such a thing as true invoice price? Will a dealer typically accept an offer at or near true invoice? Where to do you find that?

Consumer reports used to seem legit, but last time I tried them it seemed more like they were trying to sell me on a service (TrueCar) than give me the numbers I wanted. I tried Costco and that seemed similar.

My strategy buying new is to find the exact model you want and bid it out via email to the sales manager. It is nice if you have a Dave Smith type mega dealer to check your local prices on.

For the last truck I built an F250 since I didn't like the available combination of options and bid it out to the local dealers being very clear what I wanted and that I had sent requests out to other dealers. For the last car purchase (Prius), I found a common package that was widely available that I liked and did the same thing. In both cases our local dealer was close enough to go with.

That did generate a lot of BS with sales guys just sending crap back, but the 3 or 4 that took it seriously convinced me that my prices were good.

Broomd

WKR
Get a beater truck to limp around in for 6mo-12mo until prices/inventory level out or implode
This.

And pardon the political statement, but overall it just goes to show how insanely good a job Trump did with our economy.
Most people were essentially loaded ($) during an economic shut-down and pandemic, simply incredible.

I'm hoping my stocks continue their rise, I'm wanting an all-new 2022 Tundra. Watching this thread closely for the best pricing option.

BluMtn

WKR
Bought a used pickup (2500 miles) right as the pandemic was starting and at that time nobody knew exactly what was going to happen. I spent a ton of time on the internet looking for pickups and dealt with several dealerships on pickups. As the days went by dealerships were getting more scared of not being able to sell anything. I found this pickup and they were wanting to make me a deal to have a sale. So I ended up buying it and drove to the dealership to pick it up and it was myself, the sales manger, the salesman, and the finance guy. The salesman had to prep the pickup and get it ready. A pretty big dealership and you would have thought it was the middle of the night and they were trying to hide the sale. It was weird being there. Also the highways were empty and I made really good time getting there and back because I did not see one state patrolman in 350 miles. Now I talk to dealerships and they can't find any pickups to sell. It is a sellers market right now.

boom

WKR
This.

And pardon the political statement, but overall it just goes to show how insanely good a job Trump did with our economy.
Most people were essentially loaded ($) during an economic shut-down and pandemic, simply incredible.

I'm hoping my stocks continue their rise, I'm wanting an all-new 2022 Tundra. Watching this thread closely for the best pr

how does the high unemployment rate and something like $26Trillion in debt jive with your thoughts?

just asking to learn.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Someone above mentioned visiting a high volume dealer. A buddy of mine did just that and ended up with a crazy good deal on a Titan XD Crew with a full bed. Standard truck just like you're talking about. Been a great truck so far.
Don't get caught up in the APR on New vs. Used. Unless you're getting one of the super low manufacturer deals, there isn't any difference, in most all circumstances. I should have traded in March, but didn't. The truck I've been looking at is now running about $5k higher...as is everything else.

Broomd

WKR
how does the high unemployment rate and something like $26Trillion in debt jive with your thoughts?

just asking to learn.
Well, the debt question certainly has merit, all leaders need to get in line and own that.
Unemployment hasn't seemed to affect much with the new and used truck search, that's about all that I can say about that.
That was my point, it really is baffling and it seems to underscore the wealth and savings of Americans, pandemic or not.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well, the debt question certainly has merit, all leaders need to get in line and own that.
Unemployment hasn't seemed to affect much with the new and used truck search, that's about all that I can say about that.
That was my point, it really is baffling and it seems to underscore the wealth and savings of Americans, pandemic or not.
I don’t think you’re logic is correct here. The rental companies drive the used car business. They dump 100,000s of used cars into the market yearly. When covid first hit hard, they dumped cars fast. It corresponded with the big stimulus checks then the 600 unemployment checks on top of the normal unemployment checks. More buyers came to the market. Then new car factories shut down. DeAlers were forced to buy used due to limited new stock and it drove the used inventory which at first was huge, down to almost nothing. Then the rental car companies hit their floor and started to grow and rent cars. They all cancelled their new car orders when the pandemic hit and with no new cars coming in, they had none to sell. Used cars dried up and prices went up EASILY 10-20% from their lows in January/February. It has started to normalize a little, but with the vaccines coming, people being cooped up for months, and hertz unable to buy cars due to their credit issues after filing for bankruptcy, there’s a good chance used prices climb again into the spring.

boom

WKR
i didnt mean to further derail this thread. my apologies.

i want a new truck as well, but i just cant justify it. i had a finanical guy say to me, "its better to be rich than to look rich". i cant get his wisdom out of my head. he pretty much effed up my big purchases for the forseeable future. hahhaha.