New Toyota Hilux in San Diego!!!

Maverick1

WKR
Looks like a high tax to import them, also wonder if it’s a pain to find parts
Yup. I could see someone paying the import tax, and all the associated freight/handling/logistics aspects just to get one here. But then I’d be concerned with parts/availability. Can’t imagine going down to the local auto parts store and asking if they have a (fuel filter, oil drain plug, radiator cap, etc) for a Hilux. And, what if the vehicle were to get into a fender bender where doors or panels would need to be replaced. Then what? Likely a hassle to get the parts shipped overseas.

UncleBone

WKR
Yup. I could see someone paying the import tax, and all the associated freight/handling/logistics aspects just to get one here. But then I’d be concerned with parts/availability. Can’t imagine going down to the local auto parts store and asking if they have a (fuel filter, oil drain plug, radiator cap, etc) for a Hilux. And, what if the vehicle were to get into a fender bender where doors or panels would need to be replaced. Then what? Likely a hassle to get the parts shipped overseas.
Ill see if I can find them, but there have been a few people rich/crazy enough to do it.

Baller

FNG
They are primarily driven in shitty conditions while getting 30 mpg, have enough payload to carry twenty guys with AKs or 15 and a belt fed. They will go 500,000 miles or 750,000 if you change the oil twice. Throw in the fact that they have over thrown a couple governments since the 1980s. What’s not to like about them?

You sir, have won the internet today..!!! :)

Lytro

WKR
I've spent a lot of time in them while deployed. Beat the hell out of them in 120 degree heat daily and never had one fail. It's a little disappointing to see what the new ones look like though.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
We used to service a few of them at the Toyota dealership I worked at, as far as I know there were no problems getting standard maintenance parts. They were also UN vehicles with armored doors so there may have been more going on behind the scenes than I knew about.

GotDraw?

WKR
Amazon...
Add to cart

JL

Dumb we cannot own these vehicles. I don’t know if South America have the diesel 4 door rangers that were manuals they were sweet!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I work in the auto glass industry and took a look this morning. You can’t even get a windshield for the thing without going through the dealer net work, which might not be that cost-effective either.

Maverick1

WKR
I work in the auto glass industry and took a look this morning. You can’t even get a windshield for the thing without going through the dealer net work, which might not be that cost-effective either.
Exactly. The examples I used above (oil drain plug, gas cap, radiator cap) - anyone could say “I’d never lose that!” - but, over the course of the life of a vehicle, stuff happens. Windshield is a great example! If someone pays that much $ to import it, they are likely going to keep it for awhile. And, if they are driving it in a regular basis, stuff happens, and they need parts/repairs.

GotDraw?

WKR
Exactly. The examples I used above (oil drain plug, gas cap, radiator cap) - anyone could say “I’d never lose that!” - but, over the course of the life of a vehicle, stuff happens. Windshield is a great example! If someone pays that much $ to import it, they are likely going to keep it for awhile. And, if they are driving it in a regular basis, stuff happens, and they need parts/repairs.
...so be sure make friends with south Texans or Californians that can run across the border like mules to get you spare parts quickly/cheaply.
JL

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I bet it’ll orbit earth seven times on a tank of fuel. It’d pull a house boat while doing it too. And, it’d do it for 30 years with only routine upkeep too. Like all other Toyotas. What’s the big deal?

😁👍👌👍
Sweet, reliable, really small, high mpg, no frills, inexpensive truck!! Other than that nothing special at all.