New Toyota Hilux in San Diego!!!

Mojave

WKR
I sympathize with this guy. Not to turn this political, but we can allow 10k people to illegally cross a border and turn our back, but I can’t get a goddam series 70 land cruiser.

The world had gone absolutely batshit mad…
You don't actually want one.

We have about 20 of them at work (military).

They are tough, but not any better or worse than any other American made 1/2 ton.

They are stupidly geared. It is hard to go 60mph on them.

Rubber floor mats and all the minimilistic outdoor stuff is ok.

Seats are horrible. Probably the worst seats I have ever been in.

We wreck a couple of them a year. You could probably source a wrecked one from DRMO in El Paso.

Hard to go 60mph in a 70 series?
Which engine, mate? 1HZ?

I get mine to 110kph regularly and it has more power to burn. Not bad for a 4.2L turbo diesel that's 20 years old with 455k on the clock.

I've never driven one of the American utes/trucks so I'm sure they've got more power too, but you don't see many of them here. A little too wide/big for most of what I need in a vehicle.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
So if I got stationed in Japan, I could theoretically buy one and ship it home with me when I moved?
Yes, but it’s a pain to import non-US spec vehicles into the states…and you have to pay the import tax regardless of where you bought it. I looked into cause I’m stationed in Italy right now and I could pick up a Hilux for cheap. The fees and red tape hassle made me decide against doing it.

Mojave

WKR
Yes, but it’s a pain to import non-US spec vehicles into the states…and you have to pay the import tax regardless of where you bought it. I looked into cause I’m stationed in Italy right now and I could pick up a Hilux for cheap. The fees and red tape hassle made me decide against doing it.
They sell them for export in Germany, but they are freaking hard to get and expensive.

They are crazy expensive in Australia.

I imported a Santana Land Rover 109 from Spain when I was stationed there. Bought it for $4500 sold it for $20,000 about a month after I got back. It was left hand drive though.

I bought mine in August 2017 with 298,000k on it for $27,000AUD.

Now with 455,000k on it I could easily sell it for over $35,000AUD. Just crazy!

Mojave

WKR
I bought mine in August 2017 with 298,000k on it for $27,000AUD.

Now with 455,000k on it I could easily sell it for over $35,000AUD. Just crazy!
I have not lived in OZ since 2013. What does a new FJ70 crew cab go for these days?

b29a53a6ffb90a5cefd603e310bb65e5.jpg

d59aa3de7e77db149ee4a3c9c933edd2.jpg

I have a 1994 Toyota truck with 73,000 miles. Does this count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Superb vehicle, mate!
Did it come like that from the factory or was it a troopy that got chopped? We've only had the dual cab landcruisers available here in Australia since about 2013 or so.
I might need to get a dual cab ute in the next couple of years and my current landcruiser is worth much more than I paid for it. It's for the 1HD-FTE engine. I was thinking of selling it for a big profit and buying a dual cab, but the price of them has gone through the roof as well. The landcruiser market in Australia is absolutely nuts at the moment. People are buying year old vehicles for more than brand new vehicles because waiting lists on brand new vehicles have pushed out to potentially a couple of years.
My vehicle has about 455,000km on it (about 280,000 miles?) and it's not even close to breaking down. I adore it. It's our firewood hauler and hunting vehicle.

It started its life as a 75 series single cab and the extra cab was added on in Australia before it made it to the US.

It was a good truck that drove well. Mine was geared low, but I could get it up to 80mph on the highway and tracked straight.

I have not lived in OZ since 2013. What does a new FJ70 crew cab go for these days?
A brand new dual cab ute (5 seater) is hard to find for a start, and they run around the $115,000AUD mark. No extras besides maybe having a genuine Toyota tray on the back!

Mojave

WKR
A brand new dual cab ute (5 seater) is hard to find for a start, and they run around the $115,000AUD mark. No extras besides maybe having a genuine Toyota tray on the back!
They were $100,000 AUD back in 2013 when I left. So not terrible.

But the exchange rage of $100,000 AUD in 2013 was $1.30 American dollars per AUD. So that sucked.

I was on active duty working at the embassy, so I wasn't rolling in cash by any means.

A lot of foreign service folks buy one when they are stationed in Africa or Australia and then only do RHD nations if they can help it.

I had a Hummer H3 wagon and it would have been awesome in Australia if it was RHD.

Had a jeep cherokee when I was in Oz.

jayhawk

WKR
Hell, just go down to one of those Central or South American countries, buy one, and drive it back up. What are they going to do, stop you at the border?

Mojave

WKR
I just looked at Toyota Argentina, and they don't have FJ's either.

CorbLand

WKR
Hell, just go down to one of those Central or South American countries, buy one, and drive it back up. What are they going to do, stop you at the border?
Wouldnt they get you when you go to register it?