New to waterfowl.. what gear?

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
So what’s the plan when you can’t be on the x and have to run traffic.
In my experience, the hide is the most important thing when your trying to pull birds, unconfident birds take a closer look. If the hide isn't 100% they almost always flair, no matter how many decoys I have out.

KurtR

WKR
In my experience, the hide is the most important thing when your trying to pull birds, unconfident birds take a closer look. If the hide isn't 100% they almost always flair, no matter how many decoys I have out.
How many decoys you running on a lesser spread or a speck snow combo.

KurtR

WKR
Don't see many snows or specks here, I mostly target ducks and honkers on small streams and marshes.
Ya we are hunting big agg fields most of the time and some times can’t get permission so have to run traffic and 20 dozen sock and silo spread but then up it a bunch if it’s snows and specks they seem to hang out a bunch. Last year we had a day of ducks, lessers ,big honkers and snows and specks that was fun.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Put the mojos away after opening weekend. Any calling besides subtle, quiet quacks (drake croaking is better) should go in the shed with them. It's been said already on this thread, but there is no substitute for motion discipline when birds are working. You can have 100 fully flocked dekes and 6 mojos but a squirmy dog or partner who goosenecks up at birds, you'll see lots of ducks and geese blow out.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you are hunting Co buy some blue jeans and Walmart camo, and extra full chokes and skybust at birds over 125 yards out. You will fit in well ;) haha who needs decoys and calls save the money for extra shells and fire away

KurtR

WKR
Put the mojos away after opening weekend. Any calling besides subtle, quiet quacks (drake croaking is better) should go in the shed with them. It's been said already on this thread, but there is no substitute for motion discipline when birds are working. You can have 100 fully flocked dekes and 6 mojos but a squirmy dog or partner who goosenecks up at birds, you'll see lots of ducks and geese blow out.
What part of the country are you in? Up here mojo till the season ends or it’s all froze up. The late December mallards a spinnners and 12 decoys and we get lots of thousand duck spins finishing on your feet.

OP
PorterNY

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Well.. you guys were right… we scouted for 5 days and found a spot the wood ducks were coming to at first light.. used 4 decoys and no calls.. 2 came in, then 4, then 20 ish
this is pretty darn fun!

Attachments

• 3145DBF0-BF3C-4777-AA3D-75B6EF2DB6E4.jpeg
    3145DBF0-BF3C-4777-AA3D-75B6EF2DB6E4.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 700DA6F9-7C5B-481F-AAD9-66FE71AF7EC3.jpeg
    700DA6F9-7C5B-481F-AAD9-66FE71AF7EC3.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 36

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Ya we are hunting big agg fields most of the time and some times can’t get permission so have to run traffic and 20 dozen sock and silo spread but then up it a bunch if it’s snows and specks they seem to hang out a bunch. Last year we had a day of ducks, lessers ,big honkers and snows and specks that was fun.
Sounds like a blast, guess if you can be on the x just make one!

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Well.. you guys were right… we scouted for 5 days and found a spot the wood ducks were coming to at first light.. used 4 decoys and no calls.. 2 came in, then 4, then 20 ish
this is pretty darn fun!
Wood ducks are fun. They can be pretty reliable but also pretty frustrating. If you have a good woodie spot only hunt it once a week or less and you can shoot them all season.

Cmb8316

FNG
What about identifying ducks during the hunt? What's the trick to that you've figured out as you're starting out? The idea of over limit is terrifying
Check your states game and fish website. Most states have Waterfowl ID classes you can take that will teach you how/what to look for. Some states i believe its required to take a similar course to get permitted for waterfowl.