New to Idaho looking at Unit 39

ZAdams 1

FNG
Hey everyone,

My name is Zach, I currently live in New Mexico and I am in the Air Force. Within the next few months I will be moving to Boise Idaho which I am extremely excited about. I have hunted all my life mostly water fowl but recently started hunting big game more often. I just got into bow hunting and enjoy the challenge it poses but have no second thoughts on harvesting animals with a rifle if its the right choice. I plan to hopefully find spots to hunt all game within 2-3 hours max from my house in boise

Which pointed me to unit 39. I prefer to get off roads and trails away from the masses and definitely don't mind putting in the leg work to get in and out.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or general area to get a good start. Possible idaho specific rules to look out for? Really anything you would be willing to share i will appreciate.

Thanks for any help,

Zach

Marble

WKR
Zach, thanks for your service. I'll just give you a heads up before people start in on you. It is very frowned upon here and else where to share hunting spots like you're asking. Here's how I look at it...I put in the time, money and effort to do whatever it takes to find a good spot. You should too. Now, I'm not trying to bust your balls. But going through this process will teach you more than simply going to a spot.

My suggestion, search through your zone on Google earth, OnX or whatever, and find spots with trail systems that appeal to you. Then just go! You may get lucky, you may not! But the expereince you'll get is beyond getting the helpful tip.

If you have the ability to go there ahead of time and scout it out, you could save several days of searching for camp, food, water, animals...

The biggest trophy on your hunt will be the journey. Own it!!

Thank you for your service. Unit 39 is a large unit, with a good population of animals. Marble is spot on with his advice. If you can, plug yourself into some sportsman’s groups. Since you are an archery hunter,Idaho Bowhunters Association is a good group with great people.

39 has some of the highest hunter numbers in the state and it’s been tough hunting in recent years. When everyone was into beer drinking and road hunting it was different but now there’s a significant group that goes deeper and everyone is in the same spots. Nothing is secret or sacred with 15,000 hunters hitting the hills during elk season or within three weeks prior during deer season.

OP
ZAdams 1

ZAdams 1

FNG
Zach, thanks for your service. I'll just give you a heads up before people start in on you. It is very frowned upon here and else where to share hunting spots like you're asking. Here's how I look at it...I put in the time, money and effort to do whatever it takes to find a good spot. You should too. Now, I'm not trying to bust your balls. But going through this process will teach you more than simply going to a spot.

My suggestion, search through your zone on Google earth, OnX or whatever, and find spots with trail systems that appeal to you. Then just go! You may get lucky, you may not! But the expereince you'll get is beyond getting the helpful tip.

If you have the ability to go there ahead of time and scout it out, you could save several days of searching for camp, food, water, animals...

The biggest trophy on your hunt will be the journey. Own it!!
I appreciate the advice and will definitely put the effort into developing my own spots and work at it. I did not mean to sound as if I am looking for particular spots or get free info from anyone I understand how much effort goes into it. Mostly just any knowledge about Idaho particulars or small things to look out for. Again i appreciate the advice and look forward to putting the the boot leather down in the area.

OP
ZAdams 1

ZAdams 1

FNG
39 has some of the highest hunter numbers in the state and it’s been tough hunting in recent years. When everyone was into beer drinking and road hunting it was different but now there’s a significant group that goes deeper and everyone is in the same spots. Nothing is secret or sacred with 15,000 hunters hitting the hills during elk season or within three weeks prior during deer season.
Thanks for the heads up. Guess Ill just have to go another ridge deeper.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess Ill just have to go another ridge deeper.

There is no deeper than other guys anymore. It’s like Colorado. 3,000 guys went deeper. You just have to spend a bunch of time to figure out where the people aren’t and the animals are. It’s just a scramble.

Feel free to PM and I can share more details and a few rays of sunshine. There are still some good opportunities but you’ll work hard for everything now.

JoeyP

FNG
I hear a lot of people stick to the roads in this unit. Are trails pretty packed too? I've seen some 4+ mile trails that look interesting, but wondering if those are just as packed.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Are you gonna hunt the late archery hunt in November? I've done the deer hunt at that time years prior. I've seen elk on almost every trip. Couple times archery shot's would be doable. But never gonna give up the rut hunts to chase elk in the snow with a bow. Late season archery in 39 isn't as crowded as any weapon seasons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rizzy

WKR
Any kind of straight forward access points have pressure. If you can park, then hike uphill and glass across to animals then there will be pressure at some point in the season. Pick a spot and give it a try, there are good numbers of Deer and Elk In that unit. The wind comes out of the west during fair weather, plan your approach accordingly

Zach,
Lots of air force dudes head up from Mt. Home and I’d surprised you don’t meet somebody in the PX headed up there. Muleymann, seems like he's got you taken care of. As I’ve found in the past, boots on the ground is your best option. You’ll figure out quick 3 miles in some places is quite a haul while in other spots 7-8 a day is cake. Make sure to know where the “off limits” portion is by the river. I’ve jumped a lot of game there headed for winter grub.

DeePow

Lil-Rokslider
Another solid way to link up with people is attending some 3D shoots in the greater area. Thankfully TAC doesn’t come here but there are ample shoots put on by local organizations