New Sevr Hybrid

Elkangle

WKR
Can someone explain the point or use of these I can't lie they look kinda cool it just seems weird that u would want more drag for minimal cutting surface

It's only about 2 fps difference between the hybrid and standard at distance

Hnthrdr

WKR
Randy Ulmer seems to know what he is doing, FIL knows him and says the dude is a real deal killer. I will probably carry 1-2 of these as a back up to my fixed blades

stxhunter

FNG
The head looks great. Not surprising the penetration was quite a bit less than the other offerings. I just bought some 1.75” to try out this year, otherwise I may have been tempted to try these.

BK12

FNG
Have others noticed the SEVR hybrid mechanical blades seem to be "tighter" than the previous model? Meaning they don't seem to swing as freely when opened. Not sure if it's the one broadhead I opened or ???

Zac

WKR
Have others noticed the SEVR hybrid mechanical blades seem to be "tighter" than the previous model? Meaning they don't seem to swing as freely when opened. Not sure if it's the one broadhead I opened or ???
Yeah that was one of the things they improved.

ColoradoV

WKR
I would imagine if you do your part the sevr will do its part. Never let me down even going way back to the “edge”…..

As far as Ulmer what is he some legend or just hands down undeniably the best archery mule deer hunter ever?? You can decide on that one I know where I sit from watching the show for 20+ years…

Anyway a example of what a well placed sever will do..IMG_3191.jpegIMG_3197.jpeg

BK12

FNG
Right on...That is a beautiful Muley!

I'll be elk hunting NM 2nd season archery and of course chasing Whitetail here in MN with them.

Zac

WKR
I have always said Sevr is the gold standard of mechanicals. They basically solved a couple of the big issues present with the rest of the market. Durability being first on that list. Then the ability to lock the blades open. Most people have no idea that the initial cut shrinks quite a bit after impact with Gator style heads. When you add the fact that the tops of those blades are blunt you sometimes aren’t left with much more cut than a fixed once it’s in the cavity. Anyways there is some new heads that will probably end up being superior. The Beast looks like it may do almost everything better than the Sevr. The new G5 head Duds helped with will probably be great as well. Neither of those systems need those stupid bands. The bands work but are gimmicks from the past. It actually takes a lot of poundage in the push tests to open them. The opening mechanism on the Beast actually transfers energy instead of using it. The G5 head looks like it slides out of the way. IMO Sevr is going to slowly fall off the map if they don’t address this issue. I don’t see how adding a tiny blade to an already small cutting diameter helps innovation at all.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
I’ve killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 big game animals with a bow and arrow. Contrary to popular marketing of over top being inferior to rear deploying, my favorite mech head is the grim reaper 1.5” fatal steel. Before that came to market, it was the 1 3/8” grim reaper.

I’ve killed about 15 or so animals with SEVRs
Something like 2.5 times that with grim reapers.
The rest are medley of rages, QAD exodus, a few with schwackers, a few iron wills, a few muzzys, and a few magnus stingers.

Shot placement is first and foremost the number one factor, everything else is ancillary to that. Reapers just put more blood on the ground, come through the other side of killing stuff in better shape, and their slogan “watch them drop” has rang true the overwhelming majority of the time in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I’ve killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 big game animals with a bow and arrow. Contrary to popular marketing of over top being inferior to rear deploying, my favorite mech head is the grim reaper 1.5” fatal steel. Before that came to market, it was the 1 3/8” grim reaper.

I’ve killed about 15 or so animals with SEVRs
Something like 2.5 times that with grim reapers.
The rest are medley of rages, QAD exodus, a few with schwackers, a few iron wills, a few muzzys, and a few magnus stingers.

Shot placement is first and foremost the number one factor, everything else is ancillary to that. Reapers just put more blood on the ground, come through the other side of killing stuff in better shape, and their slogan “watch them drop” has rang true the overwhelming majority of the time in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you think the reason for that is? I’m assuming it has to do with extra cutting surface of 3 vs 2 blades🤷‍♂️. Also why do you prefer the smaller version Fatal Steel?