New rules on posting spots? Really Rokslide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are enough other factors driving people to apply for tags. Harvest statistics, animal counts, services like gohunt, etc. don’t think my post is going to suddenly change the tide here

Maybe not a ton. But a multiple posts like it across the internet and then 20 of those 140 tag holders reading and buying into the same input results in a lesser experience for them all in addition to the people who already had those ideas before they were posted online.

wytx

WKR
Their site/forum their rules. Play by them or play somewhere else.

Funny cnelk, you're on those other forums too, lol.

Just google the area and info will come up, pretty easy actually.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Unbelievable you are more appropriate to act human than a whinny cry baby 😭 I don’t get people that are about mememe! Get off your high horse and do your own homework on finding where you are going to hunt like the rest of us!
Love the internet but hate just as much sometimes wonder why?🤔😬

Jmoore

FNG
Point creep is real and I think this is attributed mainly to the SM influencers and youtube jockeys.
You're right that we don't own the land, but I own the PTO and time away from my family spent learning the areas.
I never understand these kind of posts.
Forum rules are the rules and if I don't like that I leave.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Spot burning is real.

There’s a whole lot of folks who show up once to ask about very specific units and never contribute. It gets old. The rules you are complaining about aren’t created out of thin air, there’s a reason. It isn’t BS.

Liberal takeover, china, tinfoil hats, seriously? I’d suggest just deleting this thread.
Sure Spot burning is “real”.

And sure this has a fine line. I obviously hit a nerve.

To me its pretty easy. Don’t post spot info if you don’t want to. Don’t share info if you don't want to. But don’t stop others.

But i hardly think asking about a unit is “spot” posting. might as well not be able to talk about states, or specific tactics or elk hunting in general…. Just pointing out its a slippery slope.

Dm’s are great. Saying you’ve dm’d someone is also great. Gives others a chance to dm them as information sources

And I’m more than thankful for the info I’ve received. Like; there will be more pressure than you think, lots of deer hunters in the area at that time. And there is a cow tag a few weeks before your season starts. This pressures the elk a bit.

This type of info is helps. It will focus my hours of e scouting, then make a scouting trip or two.

Rich M

WKR
Short rant.

I’m a rokslider; love the forum. Not an every day guy, but I buy some stuff, sell some stuff, research hunts, read gear articles, etc . Rokslide has generally been a great experience and I like the community.

Here comes the “but”

But what gives with the new rules on FNG posts about “specific areas being locked”

Ii’ve got to get to 100 comments to get out of fng status. I’ve been a membrer for a few years. Do we really useless comments racking up to get status

I drew a tag; askes for advice. There are 140 archrey / rifle elk tags in that unit per year. I’m not blowing up someones spot. Post was locked because i asked for specifics. Mod suggested I ask for recommendations on SW idaho instead. Doesn’t help much, sw idaho is big and diverse. Without unit specific info it’s all but useless.
I don't mind it being blocked as much as I mind the BS excuse that I can still ask for less specific info. Block it or dont.

I find it very as a very beneficial way to share info; specifically amongst out of staters. Don’t like that? Tough shit. Get off the internet. Go to your state about eliminating out of stste tags. Better yet convince them that you should be the only one to ever get tags; just you; all yours. If someone else posts or comments info on PUBLIC LAND THAT YOU DO NOT OWN; I have no sympathy for your stance.

What are we doing? You don’t want someone else using commenting; so you silence them? What is this? Liberals takeover? communist china? I don’t like what you might say so you can’t say it.

Surprised by want the hunting community is doing to itself.

Rant over.
Agreed that hunters are our own worst enemies.

Plain and simple - there are a lot of snowflakes on here. They can get nasty too.

Lot of parrots on here too.

You also can't trash talk the "influencers" much either, no matter what they do/did. The hunting industry is pretty tight.

But as mentioned in other posts - if you want to talk about units, you gotta go somewhere else.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Point creep is real and I think this is attributed mainly to the SM influencers and youtube jockeys.
You're right that we don't own the land, but I own the PTO and time away from my family spent learning the areas.
I never understand these kind of posts.
Forum rules are the rules and if I don't like that I leave.
Agreed! Probably one of those scenarios where most of us agree on more than we disagree.

Same boat; work hard, limited pto, limited money. Drew a tag and am starting the work to prepare.

I’ll follow the rule; just saying that I think it’s short sighted.

Will_m

WKR
Why would you want people to openly share specific information about a spot? You wouldn’t give stuff away for free in any other context would you? Certainly not something that may have taken years to develop.

WTFJohn

WKR
Sure Spot burning is “real”.

And sure this has a fine line. I obviously hit a nerve.

To me its pretty easy. Don’t post spot info if you don’t want to. Don’t share info if you don't want to. But don’t stop others.

But i hardly think asking about a unit is “spot” posting. might as well not be able to talk about states, or specific tactics or elk hunting in general…. Just pointing out its a slippery slope.

Dm’s are great. Saying you’ve dm’d someone is also great. Gives others a chance to dm them as information sources

And I’m more than thankful for the info I’ve received. Like; there will be more pressure than you think, lots of deer hunters in the area at that time. And there is a cow tag a few weeks before your season starts. This pressures the elk a bit.

This type of info is helps. It will focus my hours of e scouting, then make a scouting trip or two.

Take offense, or don't; but you have no clue what you're talking about.

Every time this type of thread comes up, the OP proclaims it's not going to hurt anything by talking about it.

And every time, those of us that live in elk country (as in I probably have some on our property now) tell them that yes, it does hurt things and yes, it does impact the quality of the hunt for future years.

To all NR: No one cares about how little time you have, or your PTO, or how long the old lady will let you loose (that's life). Just like you don't give a shit about the resource outside of what tag you drew and who can give you the most info for free.

Jimmy

WKR
I know a fella that will muddy the water by posting the worst information possible. Sending everyone to the busiest place, with no water and no animals. Wasting them days of hunting that could have been avoided if they did their own research. Be careful of internet advice.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your frustration but the amount of pressure is growing year in and year out on public. Even in my state of Texas where I’m from.

I also don’t think that some of these back handed comments you’re getting or useful for warranted. There are a lot of butt hurt people in here I guess….

My suggestion is ask in a specific yet vague way.

“I was very fortunate to draw a limited tag in Idaho for (insert animal here). If anyone has experience in any of those units I could really use some help. Please DM me and hopefully your intel is for the unit I drew. If not, I appreciate the effort reaching out to help a fellow hunter.”

Sure, it may take longer and you may have to sift through some messages that aren’t beneficial but I think you will achieve the end goal.

Best of luck to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Respecfully, it’s hard to comment in a constructive way when the OP is so obviously butthurt and whining. Also, judging from the time it was posted, the OP was likely the result of a couple-too-many old fashioned’s after work.

Give butthurt, receive butthurt. OP could have questioned the rule in a constructive way if they so chose, instead they crap-talked the forums and called everyone liberals. Even saying that it’s dumb he’s still a FNG because he’s been here for years just…Not contributing.

I could ask this same question in a constructive manner in a week after this blows over and nobody would give me a hard time.

As I have learned so many thousands of times in life, *what* you say matters little, *how* you say it is everything. OP started off with nothing but negativity, nobody can be surprised that most of the replies are “less than nice”.

Last edited:
This ain't even the most Floridian thing I have see all week.

It's not censorship, it's just the rules to play here. The fact that people want to complain about it and call it that really does show just how good we have it.

Like a post a week would have you well into WKR territory.

11boo

WKR
Take offense, or don't; but you have no clue what you're talking about.

To all NR: No one cares about how little time you have, or your PTO, or how long the old lady will let you loose (that's life). Just like you don't give a shit about the resource outside of what tag you drew and who can give you the most info for free.

IMG_0419.jpeg

I’ll follow the rule; just saying that I think it’s short sighted.
tag numbers, available public land, access points, maps, harvest percentages, and herd numbers are all public information. Spots should remain secret to protect the dedicated ones who found them.
What’s short sighted is appeasing people who want to short cut the process of an already difficult experience.

The rule doesn't apply to the vast majority of us. BUT...when it does apply thank RS admin it is there. Head scratcher, when folks don't understand the point of the rule or think it's debatable.

Some people just can't keep the their mouth zipped. I think they genuinely want to help but to post hunt intel on social media when everyone can find the info, with ease, is incredulously negligent.

Personally, I would never trust my hunt to intel from the internet. The smart guys throw out bad intel to throw off the suckers. E-Scouting is fairly straight forward once you understand what you're looking for. I trust my own intel.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The owners of this site can make whatever posting rules they want. You don't have to like or agree with that. Now if the government starts telling them what we can or can't post, that's a problem. Or is it? The SCOTUS sure muddied the waters on that one yesterday.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your frustration but the amount of pressure is growing year in and year out on public. Even in my state of Texas where I’m from.

I also don’t think that some of these back handed comments you’re getting or useful for warranted. There are a lot of butt hurt people in here I guess….

My suggestion is ask in a specific yet vague way.

“I was very fortunate to draw a limited tag in Idaho for (insert animal here). If anyone has experience in any of those units I could really use some help. Please DM me and hopefully your intel is for the unit I drew. If not, I appreciate the effort reaching out to help a fellow hunter.”

Sure, it may take longer and you may have to sift through some messages that aren’t beneficial but I think you will achieve the end goal.

Best of luck to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I appreciate your stance.

Especially since you’re from Texas. I’m assuming if you do any elk hunting; it would be out of state. Many people in the same boat, traveling to enjoy the opportunity. And is asking for help / advice or providing support such a bad thing? I think not.

Some additional info on your suggestion. The tag I drew is unit specific. And, many tags are these days. But Unit was deemed a “spot” and against the rules. I can't really zoom out. For example if I were to ask about western idaho; there is too much variation between units and terrain. For example i’ve hunted an otc unit bordering this unit. Im familiar with the country, but don’t know about factors like season timing, pressure, etc. and if I cant ask about a unit, i almost certainly cannot ask about a particular wilderness or mt range in that unit.

And not necessarily related to your comment, but My point kinda being; whats a spot? Can’t talk about specific units or tags. Why not call whole states a “spot”.
Why not ban hunting pictures? After all it increases interest in hunting and leads to more pressure. I just think this kind of action is more harmful to us as hunters in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.