New Rifle Build- Bullet and Caliber- Mono metal- Thoughts?

Macintosh

WKR
I’m using 2800 fps as the basement for impact velocity. But I am only going off of advice from other forum threads. I have not been able to find any real testing data or any velocities published by DRT.
2800 is muzzle velocity for plenty of cartridges. That seems unrealistically high for an impact velocity. Typo?

JFK

WKR
The has to be one of the most over thought threads I’ve ever seen.

Monos: 3000fps (or more) muzzle velocity, adequate twist, impact velocity of 2000-2200fps. Done.

If you want heavy for caliber, shoot lead, or shoot a wildcat capable of some very fast muzzle velocities.

If shooting sub 400 yards, likely the best option in terms of terminal performance is a light for caliber bullet. Penetration isn’t an issue. I’ve seen 110gr ttsx from a 270 tip over two pigs with one shot. Exited the second animal. Both died where they stood.

Maybe the DRT’s are great. They won’t ship to Ca, the largest lead free market in the world, so I’ll never know. Barnes probably accounts for about 1000x more animals killed every year than DRT. I mostly shoot Barnes LRX now. They work. Hammer hunters work, McGuires work and have much better BC’s.

But again, it’s not that complicated.

SDHNTR

WKR
The has to be one of the most over thought threads I’ve ever seen.

Monos: 3000fps (or more) muzzle velocity, adequate twist, impact velocity of 2000-2200fps. Done.

If you want heavy for caliber, shoot lead, or shoot a wildcat capable of some very fast muzzle velocities.

If shooting sub 400 yards, likely the best option in terms of terminal performance is a light for caliber bullet. Penetration isn’t an issue. I’ve seen 110gr ttsx from a 270 tip over two pigs with one shot. Exited the second animal. Both died where they stood.

Maybe the DRT’s are great. They won’t ship to Ca, the largest lead free market in the world, so I’ll never know. Barnes probably accounts for about 1000x more animals killed every year than DRT. I mostly shoot Barnes LRX now. They work. Hammer hunters work, McGuires work and have much better BC’s.

But again, it’s not that complicated.
Out of pure curiosity, I looked up DRT bullets. Wow, one of the most amateurish websites I’ve ever seen. Limited product offerings, lacking valuable how and why information and incredibly hard to navigate. Then to top it off, they won’t ship to the largest lead free bullet market in the world. They may make great bullets, but I prefer to buy from companies that actually try to stay in business.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m using 2800 fps as the basement for impact velocity. But I am only going off of advice from other forum threads. I have not been able to find any real testing data or any velocities published by DRT.
You want 2800 impact velocity? You have officially over analysed yourself to the point of insanity my friend.

SDHNTR

WKR
Before I finalize barrel order I’d love advice on barrel details. I’ve only used proof carbon for builds up to this point so I’m a newb when it comes to all of these options:

1-Twist rate— keeping in mind I’m looking to build the most accurate 6cm system for 600 yard max, mono metals (which means lighter than the rockslide standard) 95-100 grain bullets. I’m thinking a 1:8 twist is best choice. When I plug the numbers into Bergers twist rate calculator this seems to work.. am I missing anything important?

Profile- I will be using a light suppressor for hunting (banish bc) and am trying to build a 8.5 pound gun (with scope and suppressor.) the helpful folks at x-caliber say the barrel needs .750 minimum dia.to thread the 5/8x24 and suggest number 20 Sendero profile. (3.75 pound estimate for 18” barrel.) I am wondering if there are ways to get a lighter thinner profile while still maintaining the required contact area and dia for threading 5/8x24? I remember seeing someone on Rokslide say they use some kind of adapter that makes the end of a skinny barrel accept the suppressor. ??

3- 6 groove, 3 groove or 3r groove ??

Thanks
Order a steel 7.5 twist Bartlein #3. You’ll have plenty of meat at 18”. No need for adapters. No need for carbon.

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus what are your opinions if any on the McGuire 93 grain 6mm? My father-in-law shot his California muley and bull elk with the 168 grain 30 cal with impressive results, granted both shots were under 200 yards. Just suggesting another possible non lead option for the OP.

MatukaJoe

FNG
When I called them and asked for my PRC and the 147 grains what would be Full expansion at velocity minimums not just some expansion... They stated 1800-2000 feet per second would get the job done.
I haven't had a chance to test that for example in a water trap which I'd love to do but in general I try to stay at 2,000 ft/sec and above for really any projectile.