New Release

boxx

Lil-Rokslider
With the quarantine going on, I wanted to take the time and work on my form and shot timing. I have only ever shot a wrist rocket. Would it be more beneficial to switch to a hinge or a back tension first? Thanks in advance!

It won't hurt to try a hinge release. I assume you know a hinge is a back tension release? I am not sure from the last line in your post.

First, though, make sure your draw length is squared away and you aren't over/under extending. I see a lot of guys using a wrist release overextending due to the length of the release and stretch at full draw.

Otherwise, go for it.

Jeremy

I switched from a caliper release to a thumb release last year due to target panic issues. My target panic has gotten much better but I wish I would have went with a resistance release like the silverback instead.

@Wapiti1 I understand that a hinge is back tension, but I should have clarified between a resistance back tension and a hinge. Are there any hinge releases that you recommend? I'm familiar with Dudley's releases but I don't want to think that he's the be all end all of archery. Thanks!

Scott longhorn and advantage are the two that I have used. I have not used Dudley's releases, or any other hinges.

Jeremy

Hinge is my go to for everything. It’s all I shoot. I might buy a thumb button when I can afford it but I love my hinge.

I made the swap to a thumb. If you’re going to do it then you need to go all in. You have to fight through the learning curve. Also, it will most likely change your anchor and therefore your peep and POI so be prepared to make that adjustment.

My accuracy increased drastically and form improved when I went to a “tension activated release”, this is mostly from focusing on using “back tension”. Plan to hunt with a thumb activated. I have shot a few different hinges, but tension activated is what I prefer for training. If you have the opportunity, I would suggest getting hands on with multiple different releases and see which one you like the most and/or feels the best. You can also save roughly $200, and practice using back tension with your current release, until you decide which type you really want to cash out for. Releases are a lot of preference for the person, and can get pricey quick. Also no expert, just have experience with close friends spending way too much to find a release they like.

I would recommend you use a tension activated release versus a hinge. A back tension release and a hinge are in fact two separate releases. There is only one way to activate a tension activated release, and if you punch it you will instantly know. People still develop target panic with a hinge. This is due to various executions activating the release. There are multiple ways to activate a hinge. If you wan't to work on pulling through the shot, and truly using back tension, then you need to invest in a tension activated release. Hamskea makes one, Carter, and Stan. I have shot Carter and Stan. I really do not prefer the Carter so I would not recommend the Silverback. They suffer from inconsistency due to changes in temperature etc. The Stan is pricey, and as usual the highest quality option.

Back