Going back to the Wrist Rocket

Luked

WKR
I have been trying for weeks to get where I am comfortable shoot a Thumb Button and for the life of me I can not seem to shoot this thing right or accurate.
At 20 yards I seem to do pretty well. But the further i go out the worse it gets. Even at 30 yards i am all over the place.

Shot last night some and went back to the wrist rocket and at 30 and 40 i was dead on. felt like I could hold better and jsut seemed to shoot better.

So I guess I am going to go back to the wrist rocket and ditch the Thumb Button.
The Wrist rocket i have is a cheap Scott I have had for a while so I think I am going to sell the Wise Choice I have and see if I can pick up a Like Mike II wrist release that I can at least adjust the tension on to hopefully make it a little better than the Scott I Have now.

Was really hoping I could get the Wise Choice to work but I think I am wasting my time with it.

Anyone done similar?
Pretty aggriviated about it

the like mike is a great release, i'm sure you'll love the like mike 2. zero creep on the trigger, very conducive to shooting with back tension, and hard to lose something that is strapped to your wrist.

Bump79

WKR
I highly recommend trying the Scott Verge. It has been great for me as I couldn't get comfortable with a hinge or thumb.

wapitibob

WKR
The feel is totally different with a button but you can get pretty close if you change the button release angle in your hand. Pull mostly with the ring finger so the release body is rotated around, not much pressure with the index finger and you should be able to get real close the the same anchor and feel as a wrist strap release.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Stan Perfex and hated it. I bought a Like Mike II and Instantly increased my accuracy by yes you heard it punching the trigger. I also bought a TruFire Hardcore to mess around with, I have no desire to shoot back tension or another thumb button, I learned how to shoot punching it and that’s what I’m going to stick with.

LostArra

WKR
I have been trying for weeks to get where I am comfortable shoot a Thumb Button and for the life of me I can not seem to shoot this thing right or accurate.
At 20 yards I seem to do pretty well. But the further i go out the worse it gets. Even at 30 yards i am all over the place.

Shot last night some and went back to the wrist rocket and at 30 and 40 i was dead on. felt like I could hold better and jsut seemed to shoot better.

So I guess I am going to go back to the wrist rocket and ditch the Thumb Button.
The Wrist rocket i have is a cheap Scott I have had for a while so I think I am going to sell the Wise Choice I have and see if I can pick up a Like Mike II wrist release that I can at least adjust the tension on to hopefully make it a little better than the Scott I Have now.

Was really hoping I could get the Wise Choice to work but I think I am wasting my time with it.

Anyone done similar?
Based on the number of thumb buttons for sale on AT I don't think you are alone.

HNTR918

WKR

Anyone done similar?
I have several Carter releases.
I'd highly recommend the Like Mike 2, set as heavy as it will go, use the heavy spring and ball bearing, tighten the screw as far down as it will go, slowly back off until the sear will reset.
Learn to shoot a heavy trigger with your back not your finger, so that every shot surprise you, and you will be set.
There is a learning curve to shoot this way accurately, but it will be worth it.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Thats my plan. Ill be putting the Wise Choice up for sale here soon.
Hopefully the Like Mike 2 is what I am looking for.
I like the benifit like others said of it being on my wrist all the time. That I will say for me is one con to any handheld release.
I am mainly a whitetail hunter here in the midwest and jsut hope to go west evey other year.
So a lot of things are probably going to change and this is one of them.

11boo

WKR
If you were going to play with different releases, now is the time. I’ve tried twice to like a hand held and went back to a wrist.

good god, the Mike 2 is 200 bucks!

Marble

WKR
Thats my plan. Ill be putting the Wise Choice up for sale here soon.
Hopefully the Like Mike 2 is what I am looking for.
I like the benifit like others said of it being on my wrist all the time. That I will say for me is one con to any handheld release.
I am mainly a whitetail hunter here in the midwest and jsut hope to go west evey other year.
So a lot of things are probably going to change and this is one of them.
I think you should shoot what you like and works for you.

If you do try a handheld, I would suggest a hinge. If you learn how to properly shoot a hinge, then shooting a button like what was described above, is exactly how to shoot them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I think you should shoot what you like and works for you.

If you do try a handheld, I would suggest a hinge. If you learn how to properly shoot a hinge, then shooting a button like what was described above, is exactly how to shoot them.

Agreed

But i would go as far as saying that a back tension release should be mastered before going to a thumb button. I haven't used a hinge so I couldn't speak to the mechanics but I imagine you could shoot a thumb button with the same motion that you use to shoot a hinge

Anyone done similar?
Took me two years to like the thumb release. When hunting came around that first season I went back to the index and arrowed a couple deer. Then summer shooting and 3D came around I picked the carter just b cuz back up and finally started to improve with it, finally. Ended up killing two nice whitetail bucks with it this past season. The biggest helper for me as finding a consistent anchor point and adding a heavier trigger. Good luck and nothing wrong with either choice as long as it gives you confidence in crunch time. Also shoot note, my peep height changed slightly which threw off the aiming at longer distances.

Marble

WKR
Agreed

But i would go as far as saying that a back tension release should be mastered before going to a thumb button. I haven't used a hinge so I couldn't speak to the mechanics but I imagine you could shoot a thumb button with the same motion that you use to shoot a hinge
I agree also.

I learned with a hinge, but I also had the benefit of a world champion teaching me what to do. After I finished, I moved to a button for hunting only. After a season of using the hinge and missing a few opportunities because I was so slow with the hinge, I got the button, learned it and now use it for hunting. It's been very successful for me.

I can say switching between the two changes POI slightly.

The biggest thing people gotta realize is that shooting a bow and shooting a gun are very similar in principle. Induce little to no forces that are not necessary for your weapon to put the project on target. If you can shoot a rifle with great mechanics then your trigger finger should act the same way on your bow

Lytro

WKR
I switched to a thumb release (Nock2It) around 2018. I shot well with it, but no noticeable positive difference when compared to a wrist strap. Out of nowhere I started struggling with it before the 2022 archery season. Switched back to a wrist release, shooting was great again, and I haven't looked back. I think I just listened to the weenies on the internet too much and bought into the "coolness" of shooting a thumb release. On a positive note, thumb releases hold their value well and I had no problems selling it.

Gone4Days

WKR
I never understood the “be surprised when the bow shoots” crowd. Get your fundamentals straight and I WANT to know exactly when my bow shoots. no different than a firearm. Proper trigger control, form and grip. IMO you shouldn’t be “surprised” when your bow shoots. especially in a hunting scenario.

Fix your target panic between the ears. Shoot more.

TheTone

WKR
I have several Carter releases.
I'd highly recommend the Like Mike 2, set as heavy as it will go, use the heavy spring and ball bearing, tighten the screw as far down as it will go, slowly back off until the sear will reset.
Learn to shoot a heavy trigger with your back not your finger, so that every shot surprise you, and you will be set.
There is a learning curve to shoot this way accurately, but it will be worth it.
When I started shooting an index release set heavy my accuracy immediately went up. I’ve really never understood how people shoot them well with a hair trigger

I switched to a thumb last year(wise choice) and shoot it maybe a little better. I do wish I could set it even heavier than it is

I’ll always have a index release around and continue to shoot them on occasion

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Very few people can command a release with their index finger. If you can do it, it is probably the 2nd most accurate way to shoot. The variation in rotation and strap position on your wrist will be noticeable at long range.

The ability to command a thumb button is the best of both worlds. You have complete control over anchor, release angle, etc and very little movement to activate the release.

Most of us mere mortals cannot shoot that way under pressure. We can't keep our brain from pouncing on a good sight picture, so we learn to shoot by pulling through the shot with some slow hand manipulations to help things happen. Having a release with no perceptible trigger travel (thumb or wrist rocket) and a bit heavier tension is very beneficial to squeezing or pulling through vs punching.