New Record! Colorado elk…

What does this have to do with overcrowding of OTC units? NR dont have any claim to Colorado's animals?
So you’re fine with Non Residents being on the landscape and filling the trails and forests just not if they are hunting the People’s animals?
It seems disingenuous to act like this isn’t also a discussion of keeping Non Residents off the landscape during season.

badgerboy

FNG
For the Rinella, Newberg, social media haters. Don't you think it is a tad ironic to run to an online forum intended to share information on hunting to complain about there being too much information online about hunting?

Public land is public land. In my opinion, the guy who has no idea walking up the trail has the same right to be there as the guy with 15 years experience. I've been both.

And for those of you who feel bad for others spending their own time and money, who cares? For some, getting an elk is just a cherry on top. As long as they aren't doing anything wrong, let people live their lives and worry about your own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
It sucks but I think it's time Colorado transitions to the model where residents can get OTC general tags every year and nonresidents get capped and thrown into the draw like the rest of the west.

My next statement will get some people fired up, just know I don't care about your opinion and I know this will never happen. I think until this pressure settles down (if it ever does) states in the lower 48 should have a combined database where you can only draw one nonresident tag per species per year. So say you live in Iowa you can only get a tag for one elk in one state such as Montana. I think it sucks when I see guys who have 3-4 different nonresident elk tags meanwhile someone else can't even draw one tag. You could live in Iowa and draw a Montana elk tag, Idaho deer, Wyoming pronghorn, etc but you cant get an opportunity elk or any other big game species in multiple states every year. Hunters being tied down to one state would cut a lot of pressure because I personally know guys who hunt 3-5 states every year. There isn't necessarily more hunters than there used to be, just hunters hunting more states and multiple weapons seasons.
Maybe people are hunting multiple states more than they used to, but there are definitely more hunters out there period.
What does this have to do with overcrowding of OTC units? NR dont have any claim to Colorado's animals?
Aha, but they do have a claim when they buy a NR tag from your favorite wildlife management agency. This argument is saying no one has a right to hunt a state they aren’t a resident in.

Question: How many of the CO resident hunters on here (the ones that are b*tching and moaning) have called, written, emailed, or attended a CPW meeting to state their grievances within the past 6 months, or even the past year? And be honest, don’t just say you’ve done it only because I hurt your feelings by asking the question…

Last edited:
So you’re fine with Non Residents being on the landscape and filling the trails and forests just not if they are hunting the People’s animals?
It seems disingenuous to act like this isn’t also a discussion of keeping Non Residents off the landscape during season.
Just to clarify, since we are talking about CO here, you meant the CO people’s animals?

Just to clarify, since we are talking about CO here, you meant the CO people’s animals?

I should have put “People’s Animals” in quotes because from a legal standpoint the people of the state yes.

So yes, residents and non residents are hunting the land that is owned by all US Citizens and Colorado is making just under $800 from each “landowner” that doesn’t live in Colorado for their chance to hunt the Colorado people’s elk on their mutually owned land.

We need to remember if these lands weren’t set aside as Public Land by the Federal government they’d all be private by now just ask Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I was out and about yesterday, I encountered hunters from Minnesota and North Carolina. A few days ago, one from Arkansas. It would seem that these OTC tags and hunting tourism are big bucks for Colorado.

curious how many res. on here can tell me what is special about opening elk that might draw a ton of people to public land? will getting rid of OTC change this special event?

when you see new hunters and clearly know they haven't a clue, should you throw a hissy fit or maybe sit with them and teach them what to do? if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. take the time to help the new guy and shorten the learning curve, this will benefit both of you.

stop blaming the NR's for your poor decisions. there are plenty of RES hunters who don't have a clue when it comes to hunting. I've seen just as many bad res hunters as I have non res hunters, and anyone who plans a trip on a major holiday and gets upset when they see people needs to work on their planning skills or common sense.
there are plenty of us who can go into an OTC unit and never see another person. if you lack that skill, it's not the fault of anyone else. I'm sorry if you actually have to hunt for your animals now.

I'd also like to point out that I see alot of people talking about poor management from CPW but then say things like "a more enjoyable hunt". this sounds like you guys don't actually care about wildlife management but only care about personal gains and you're upset that you aren't getting your way. I hope that's not the case but that's how it reads.

Public land is public land, if your spot gets blown up then put in the work in to find a new spot. Trail heads are for hiking not hunting.
I would humbly point out there is not an unlimited supply of new spots. There is only so much dirt in a unit. Finding a new spot is not really a solution to rampant overcrowding. That spot has a couple guys camped out too.

fmyth

WKR
As a non resident who’s done my fair share of otc hunts, I fully support closing all non res OTC tags. I’ve hunted Wyoming general and NM with a buddy who had tags and the difference is insane. I’d rather have a good hunt every 3 years then deal with the shitshow that it is now. I, along with my entire group, is done with OTC so I’m hoping more people go this route. And I absolutely love elk hunting above all….

I often think that if CO did go full draw for non res, maybe the pressure would lighten up on WY and other neighbor states who’s seen like 100% point creep in a matter of 3 years…. But maybe that’s wishful thinking
I'll be lucky to get a WY Gen elk tag w 5 points in 2026. Probably be the last tag I draw before I'm too old to do it.

"when you see new hunters and clearly know they haven't a clue, should you throw a hissy fit or maybe sit with them and teach them what to do? if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. take the time to help the new guy and shorten the learning curve, this will benefit both of you."

Those people are outfitters and they get paid to provide a service. Most people can't be helped in a couple of hours any more than a youtube video will help them. I don't have the time or resources to point them at the elk I'm trying to go after and then tell them the best way to get them.

fmyth

WKR
The pendulum is always swinging. It’s just probably the first time the pendulum has swung for hunting (particularly western hunting) due to “influencers” and access to information. OP is exactly right about it being up to resident hunters. Everyone else is making too much money to care…

The pressure probably seems extreme to a lot of western resident hunters because most the western states don’t have the population that the eastern US has. I think it’s something like 80% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi. I would say the hunting pressure on public ground in CO is not terribly far off what you would find on public ground in a good southern, midwest, or eastern whitetail state with easy access to tags and those primarily consist of resident hunters…

Go look up “Bayou Meto Boat Races” and you’ll see what really stupid crowds and stupid people look like. And I’d bet the majority are residents.

As a NR, I’d support closing OTC or making tags exorbitant. I’d be happy only hunting every 2-3 years in a semi decent/less crowded draw unit. Especially if it resulted in more units going to draw. I think the applications would start to wane in 3-5 years time if this happened.
With the number of $100k new trucks I see at the trailheads I'm not sure raising the price of the tags would reduce the number of OTC tags sold. I went camping/fishing at Taylor Res this summer and was in awe at the number of new trucks/toyhaulers/UTVs covering the valley.

Aha, but they do have a claim when they buy a NR tag from your favorite wildlife management agency. This argument is saying no one has a right to hunt a state they aren’t a resident in.
We dont have a right to hunt states as non residents. We do have the privilege, for now.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
You want change? Then vote with your dollar and your eyes.

DONT'S :
- Watch hunting media
- Support influencers
- Memberships to hunting non profits that are captivated by large Corps $$$
- Purchase clothing/gear from companies who push R3 and show dead animlas as advertisement
- Post pictues on SM to strangers.
- Spot burn, dont even tell the your fake friends SM followers what state you're hunting.

DO's:
-Go hunting and keep it to yourself and closest friends. SHHHHHHHHHHHH
-Purchase gear/clothing from companies that dont pimp dead animals for profit (how this is legal and not market hunting hurts my brain).
-Thank and shame the influencers, especially at the trail head.
-Get on board with Matt Rinella's movement.
-Help create more access programs

Before someone tries to equate an online forum for a select few and the new age SM and the MeatEaters/Newbergs of the world dont waste your time. I have to ignore that kind of stupidty for my health.

Those people are outfitters and they get paid to provide a service. Most people can't be helped in a couple of hours any more than a youtube video will help them. I don't have the time or resources to point them at the elk I'm trying to go after and then tell them the best way to get them.
youtube is not boots on the ground, it's not a person watching them, it's not even a valid way to learn. you are there and you see something wrong that a hunter is doing so the correct thing to do is take 10 min of your precious time and teach that hunter what little you know. it's not about pointing people to elk, it's about explaining how to be a better more respectful hunter. if this is something that people don't understand, then they are the very hunters that we are complaining about. if you can't be bothered to help new hunters then you shouldn't bother hunting public land.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I hunted mule deer all week in elk OTC units and only saw a couple of guys on the mountain. Sure, marked trailheads were packed, traffic was bad, etc. but you can still get away from a lot of people. There's always going to be the guys that have the ability to climb steep, go through miles of deadfall, and/or just know how to find those areas well away from marked trails and easy access, but I still think the vast majority of people don't want to put in that much effort, maybe I'm wrong.

Stalker69

WKR
I haven’t drawn an elk or deer tag now for 3 years. Used to draw almost every year. 13 preference points now for antelope, and that still ain’t enough, IT SUCKS. Buddy drew last year and our scouting trips were great, opening morning looked like “our place “ had been advertised by every social media outlet available. There’s only so far we can pack in, and have any chance of packing an animal out in time. And no way we can afford horses.

Last edited: