New Record! Colorado elk…

It is the cheapest elk tag out there for nonresidents by a long shot, likely part of the problem.

but I hear you though, really a terrible value haha.
Not sure how anyone can think that Colorado is the cheapest elk tag out there by a long shot. Doing a little research shows that NM is $773 for a high demand bull tag, AZ is $665 plus a $160 hunting license for a total of $825, Wyoming is $692, Utah is anywhere from $613 to $1050, ID is $651.75 and CO is $760.99 plus the $93.78 small game license for a total of $854.77. Looks to me that Colorado is one of the most expensive states for a non-resident to hunt in. With that being said, I do think CO should do away with the OTC hunts but I really have no say as I am one of the dreaded non-residents. I don't bitch and follow whatever rules the state goes by understanding that if I want it different I can just move to that state or find another place to hunt. Couldn't imagine being owned by the Denver crowd though but that is another story . If/when things change I will make a decision at that time if it is still worth it for me to spend money in CO or if another state would better suit my needs. BTW, the influx of new residents to CO is causing as many problems as us non-residents when it comes to crowding issues and the way many of them are voting is creating an even bigger problem with the CP&W.

TexasCub

WKR
I can’t believe the amount of guys that will travel 1000 + miles and pay over a $1000 to hunt the shit show that is archery OTC elk here. I live here and I don’t even bother to hunt that shit show anymore. Success rate is like 1%!

Oh boy here we go again… NR chest thumping about keeping poor little Co solvent lol 😂 yes the tag is a still cheap as heck, and available for this year… going bye bye in a year or two though

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the total annual economic impact of non-resident is to the state of Colorado?

If what I have witnessed over the past week and a half is any indication of impact to the wildlife populations, these hunters aren't doing much damage.

I can’t believe the amount of guys that will travel 1000 + miles and pay over a $1000 to hunt the shit show that is archery OTC elk here. I live here and I don’t even bother to hunt that shit show anymore. Success rate is like 1%!

I was in Walsenberg gassing up on Sunday September 3. A guy in a diesel truck pulling a side by side on a trailer wheeled in next to me. I asked him if he was going hunting. He said he was coming back. He had gotten word that his father-in-law had died. So he had to bail out. He had driven from Arkansas to the Uncompahgre. He probably had $2500 tied up directly in that hunt. I know people who justify buying guns and gear for their dream western hunts. He likely had even more indirectly tied up in that hunt. Those folks are spending a crap ton of money and using your success rate, they certainly aren't cheating residents out of opportunities.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just out of curiosity, do you know what the total annual economic impact of non-resident is to the state of Colorado?

If what I have witnessed over the past week and a half is any indication of impact to the wildlife populations, these hunters aren't doing much damage.
Unfortunately the impact is not enough to prevent the state from trying to kill the goose that is laying the golden egg. It was quoted here earlier CPW was 54 million in the black, so I’d say 54 million plus whatever fuel is bought and snacks/ meals had. Like it has been stated gone are the days of mountain towns living and dying by hunting seasons. Heck I didn’t even recognize Leadville. BV is now a hoping spot, all these little backwoods towns are now turning into Main Street USA, they don’t need us, and in turn it allows the state to act that way. Anti hunters on the wildlife board, wolves with no management. Heck if Co used the money they earned to open access and invest in growing the herd we could keep Otc free for all but with the bleak out look it has to go away sooner rather than later

Dirtbag

WKR
Doing a little research shows that NM is $773 for a high demand bull tag, AZ is $665 plus a $160 hunting license for a total of $825, Wyoming is $692, Utah is anywhere from $613 to $1050, ID is $651.75 and CO is $760.99 plus the $93.78 small game license for a total of $854.77
You dont/cant hunt those states every year, or every other year, heck maybe every 10 years. So what are the years of your life and the experience itself worth? Colorado is a cheap tag. Your state doesn't even offer nonresidents an elk license.

Last edited:

Not much. I will spend a lot more than any unguided NR hunter will in their 7-10 day hunt. I will have 2 scouting trips, 20+ days hunting, archery shop visits, gear purchases, license trailers, grocery store purchases, state parks pass, muzzleloader for a youth hunt, many many gas station and restaurant stops. And thats just for archery season. I still have 1st rifle, antelope hunt, 3rd rifle and mt lion.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not much. I will spend a lot more than any unguided NR hunter will in their 7-10 day hunt. I will have 2 scouting trips, 20+ days hunting, archery shop visits, gear purchases, license trailers, grocery store purchases, state parks pass, muzzleloader for a youth hunt, many many gas station and restaurant stops. And thats just for archery season. I still have 1st rifle, antelope hunt, 3rd rifle and mt lion.
^This… we go down this road all the time. But folks, we live here, all my local and state sales tax, income tax, every tank of gas, every purchase is taxed… we pay out the nose to live here, and guess what, you can too if you really want, then you can maybe feel entitled to have a state take care of it’s residents first…

TexasCub

WKR
Those folks are spending a crap ton of money and using your success rate, they certainly aren't cheating residents out of opportunities.

I’m pretty certain that if Colorado limited the number of tags they sold the experience for those that hunt would be much better, ie higher success rates. Right now it’s an unmitigated fire sale to make as much money as possible with no goal to improve the hunting experience or success rate.

You dont/cant hunt those states every year, or every other year, heck maybe every 10 years. So what are the years of your life and the experience itself worth? Colorado is a cheap tag. Your state doesn't even offer nonresidents an elk license.
Hunted elk in Wyoming for about 12 years straight with a very high success rate. Have ND friends that still get tags there every year. Started hunting CO about 5 years ago on a non-OTC hunt and enjoy that as well drawing my tag every year but do have a lower success rate on filling tags. The more I learn the area though my odds go up of being in the top 10% of successful tagholders. As far as ND elk I can only agree with you. Hell, as a resident I've been putting in for 35 straight years and haven't been drawn. I don't bitch about that either, just accept it as it is and will put in for the foreseeable future too. To me the experience is priceless whether I tag out or not as I love to hunt elk, that is why I play by the rules I am given and do what I can to enjoy my passion.

jcmupar

FNG
I’m pretty certain that if Colorado limited the number of tags they sold the experience for those that hunt would be much better, ie higher success rates. Right now it’s an unmitigated fire sale to make as much money as possible with no goal to improve the hunting experience or success rate.
Statistically speaking you are correct, less hunters per square mile is correlated with higher success rates all other things equal. But the only thing you can control is your individual hunting experience and your individual success rate. The rest is just noise.

I have been posting some wildlife pics on Facebook. A friend of mine from North Carolina responded that he was elk hunting in the Pagosa Springs area. We have been exchanging messages. He messaged me today. They were up in high timber yesterday. They heard what sounded like elk activity in a spruce stand several hundred yards away. They calculated the wind then put on a slow methodical stalk. The timber was thick. They didn't catch a glimpse of the animal until about 2 hours later when they were about 70 yards away. It's too bad that he didn't have his Hereford tag. These free range cattle out here aren't afraid to get on up in elevation.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have been posting some wildlife pics on Facebook. A friend of mine from North Carolina responded that he was elk hunting in the Pagosa Springs area. We have been exchanging messages. He messaged me today. They were up in high timber yesterday. They heard what sounded like elk activity in a spruce stand several hundred yards away. They calculated the wind then put on a slow methodical stalk. The timber was thick. They didn't catch a glimpse of the animal until about 2 hours later when they were about 70 yards away. It's too bad that he didn't have his Hereford tag. These free range cattle out here aren't afraid to get on up in elevation.
Would have been the best tasting elk he ever had haha 😂

Gerbdog

WKR
Had the same report from friends in the area, the cattle are up high this season haha

WCB

WKR
Just stay out of 49 till I can get my bull down this year… then go be a super annoying idiot trying to call elk while guys are actually hunting them with a tag in pocket… haha I hope I don’t run into any of those Heros
But guys on here will say "it is public land guys can do whatever they want! Who are you to say a guy can't go enjoy HIS PubLIc LaND in his PuBLiC LanDOwner t-shirt!"