New Nightforce 2.5-20x50 and 4-32x50 NX8 Scopes

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. What would you like to know?

How was the eyebox and clarity at 20x, was it easily usable? Was parallax easy to adjust? Just curious as to how it functions with 8x erector and a short design, seems like it would have some shortcomings somewhere...

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice. If I can have decent clarity and usability at 20x it would be just about perfect for my use.

ChrisAU

WKR
For hunting, I just wish they'd put the yardage on the parallax knob for a reference. On scopes I've had previously its been very easy to find where the sweet spot is at 100 yards on initial sight in and mark that spot. But then it can get kinda tricky after that. I have a spot where I can play with it for an hour or two and make marks on a piece of tape on the knob for out to 500 or so. Just annoying. I know its left off because it can't be done with 100% precision on a mass produced scope, but dang. NF puts it on the SHV and ATACR lines? I'm very excited to get my 4-32 NX8, but I'm fighting off thoughts of just getting a 5-20 SHV because of this and I also like the illumination controls (controls, not the illumination itself) better on the SHV.

2backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I put a down payment on a 4-32 back in April, I received a call this morning from Doug as well and it sounds like NF shipped a few and there on there way.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Really excited about these. Was saving to buy a VX6 3-18 but that might get put on hold...

How did I miss this scope? I picked up a 3-10 SHV last year. For 10 more ounces, I can get an even higher quality, double the range scope? Tell me more...Any reviews yet?

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a first look at mine next to a few other scopes (NX8, ATACR, LRHS, AMG). I sold a March that I wish I still had for comparisons.

My first impressions thus far before mounting are mostly positive. Power ring and parallax both turn easy and smooth. Turrets feel nice. It's a Nightforce. I still remember the first one I had and being in awe how my bullet actually moved exactly how I dialed it. I love that the ocular doesn't rotate with the power ring like the ATACR, it's really annoying with caps on.

The finish is different than the ATACR. The ATACR has more of smooth/shine finish where the NX8 is more rough/dull. Just a personally preference I like better on the ATACR. I'm not sure why they changed the reticle up, but I wish they hadn't. I'm running MOAR on both it and the ATACR. The NX8 runs 40 moa left and right compared to the 20 moa on the ATACR. That I am fine with; however, concerning elevation it continues to give readings well past 100 moa on the bottom. The problem is that you aren't really able to start making out those numbers until 6-8x. I would have much preferred it to read out to only 50-60 moa at most, thus making the reticle more hunter friendly at low mag IMO.

My last gripe is the awkward look with the dials being pushed towards the objective lens. Trying to mount it up on a few of my rifles has shown that not only does it look off, but I also need different ring heights on some.

Now I know some of this may have come across as being a Debbie downer. Outside of those gripes you can see the comparison footprint wise with the other scopes. It's an awesome scope! Optically it seems impressive. Take that with a grain of salt as I've not been outside with it yet. It is the only scope that's able to focus down to the distance in my house. I don't see any issues eye box wise. It's been smooth from bottom to top.

All in all I was trying to keep my hopes low, but I was still pretty excited. I have no doubt this will be a great scope after my initial hands on impression. The reticle and turret locations are the only things that are really keeping my excitement from soaring right now.

20190628_154040.jpg20190628_154521.jpg
20190628_154652.jpg

Edit to add:
Took it out and shot it on my 7mm-08. Tracks well, zero stop works great. Glass has a distortion ring (lack of better terminology, CA maybe?) around the edges in the mid range section that gets better or worse depending on eye alignment. Never seen anything like it before. The PTL and bolt handle clash on max power.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a NF fanboy so I'm going to hold my tongue some until more users get their hands on it. But......

20190628_190611.jpg

Last edited:

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Just thought I'd note that yesterday was sunny in my area and today it's cloudy. Looking through it today I'm certainly not seeing the phenomenon like I was yesterday.

Interested in seeing if others are experiencing the same.

OLI62

FNG
Here's a first look at mine next to a few other scopes (NX8, ATACR, LRHS, AMG). I sold a March that I wish I still had for comparisons.

My first impressions thus far before mounting are mostly positive. Power ring and parallax both turn easy and smooth. Turrets feel nice. It's a Nightforce. I still remember the first one I had and being in awe how my bullet actually moved exactly how I dialed it. I love that the ocular doesn't rotate with the power ring like the ATACR, it's really annoying with caps on.

The finish is different than the ATACR. The ATACR has more of smooth/shine finish where the NX8 is more rough/dull. Just a personally preference I like better on the ATACR. I'm not sure why they changed the reticle up, but I wish they hadn't. I'm running MOAR on both it and the ATACR. The NX8 runs 40 moa left and right compared to the 20 moa on the ATACR. That I am fine with; however, concerning elevation it continues to give readings well past 100 moa on the bottom. The problem is that you aren't really able to start making out those numbers until 6-8x. I would have much preferred it to read out to only 50-60 moa at most, thus making the reticle more hunter friendly at low mag IMO.

My last gripe is the awkward look with the dials being pushed towards the objective lens. Trying to mount it up on a few of my rifles has shown that not only does it look off, but I also need different ring heights on some.

Now I know some of this may have come across as being a Debbie downer. Outside of those gripes you can see the comparison footprint wise with the other scopes. It's an awesome scope! Optically it seems impressive. Take that with a grain of salt as I've not been outside with it yet. It is the only scope that's able to focus down to the distance in my house. I don't see any issues eye box wise. It's been smooth from bottom to top.

All in all I was trying to keep my hopes low, but I was still pretty excited. I have no doubt this will be a great scope after my initial hands on impression. The reticle and turret locations are the only things that are really keeping my excitement from soaring right now.

View attachment 107219View attachment 107220
View attachment 107221

Edit to add:
Took it out and shot it on my 7mm-08. Tracks well, zero stop works great. Glass has a distortion ring (lack of better terminology, CA maybe?) around the edges in the mid range section that gets better or worse depending on eye alignment. Never seen anything like it before. The PTL and bolt handle clash on max power.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a NF fanboy so I'm going to hold my tongue some until more users get their hands on it. But......

View attachment 107255
gledeasy, what height rings are you running in the pic with your rifle?

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
gledeasy, what height rings are you running in the pic with your rifle?

I'm not a 100% positive what they are. They are either NF lows or mediums, but I'm leaning towards the lows.

I know a size up would have helped the scope fit a few of my other rifles better.

bdud14

FNG
How does the glass look at max magnification? Also i thought i saw FFP somewhere is that true? Wouldn't that make the cross hairs extraordinarily small at 2.5x? Illumination would help but still seems like SFP could have been a better choice.