New Mule Deer Book: Need your opinions

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, just so I'm clear- I wasn't crackin' on the pose. I was just commenting that some people get their panties in a wad about that. It does look like your farther back than you said you were, but I have no doubt what you said is true. Just an observation and a heads up about how I figured some uptight people might respond... To me #3 gets the nod!

Scoot, I totally took it the way you intended- sorry if I sounded put off. I'm not. I LOVE all this feedback.

Number 3 just jumps out at you more than the others. This is just me personally, but I think I like the buck in #3 best also, such an awesome rack. They all are, but #3's rack just takes the cake in my opinion. Also, one thing I like in #3 is how the bucks rack is centered in the picture, you're in the center behind the rack, and the text of the title is centered also. Looks better when everything is consistently aligned like that. The buck in #1 is slightly to the left in the picture, and #2 is slightly to the right. Since what most people think of when they hear 'big buck' is a big rack, I think the rack should be the center of attention in the picture, and hence in the center of the picture.

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider
For me, it's not even close: Number three looks awesome. I am not a fan of cover one due to its dated appearance. I like your body position and facial expression on number two, but it overall dosen't have the same appeal and "wow" as number three. I like the signature on cover three the most as well. Congrats on the book! I will certainly be pre-ordering it when we get word.

mt100gr.

WKR
I gotta say #3 as well. Mostly because it leaves the terrain as the wildcard. I hunt mountain deer so envisioning myself behind a once in a lifetime buck in the subalpine fir and avalanche chutes is there for me to see. I like the "classic" design of #1 but I just looked on my shelf and there are 5 books on everything from Turkey hunting to whitetail QDM with a similar layout. (Think old school Dwight Schuh...not a bad thing at all, but definitely has been done) and while I love the sage country mulies, I rarely get a chance to hunt them and when I have, I feel like they are almost an entirely different critter from the alpine variety.

Post often when the book is for sale. Sold.

Also, is it an all encompassing mule deer book or mostly geared to mountain hunting vs other?

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta say #3 as well. Mostly because it leaves the terrain as the wildcard. I hunt mountain deer so envisioning myself behind a once in a lifetime buck in the subalpine fir and avalanche chutes is there for me to see. I like the "classic" design of #1 but I just looked on my shelf and there are 5 books on everything from Turkey hunting to whitetail QDM with a similar layout. (Think old school Dwight Schuh...not a bad thing at all, but definitely has been done) and while I love the sage country mulies, I rarely get a chance to hunt them and when I have, I feel like they are almost an entirely different critter from the alpine variety.

Post often when the book is for sale. Sold.

Also, is it an all encompassing mule deer book or mostly geared to mountain hunting vs other?

Thanks for your input. The book is written for hunting big mule deer everywhere they live- desert, foothills, plateau country, and high country.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lovin' all this feedback as is my editor.
The Book will first appear on Amazon so I don't have a pre-order option at this time. It's all coming together so fast that I haven't been able to research how or even if we'll be selling it on Rokslide right away. I gotta take one step at a time here so I don't dare get the cart ahead of the horse and say something I can't back up. I'll know more in the next few weeks.

Thanks guys

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
#1 cover is my favorite. Simple, clean, and a timeless cover. #3 is my 2nd vote. More modern and bold. But whichever you choose, I'd be more interested in the contents inside the cover ;). Stoked for you Robby!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
DeepMauka good to hear from you. You're right, everything else is window dressing. I think the contents will help anyone become a better deer hunter and that is what counts in the end.