New Mexico officially bans scopes

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
his is what happens when the modern industry touts 500- 600 - 800 yard shots with scoped muzzle loaders.

A modern muzzleloader with a modern scope IMO is a single shot modern firearm. The whole purpose of a muzzleloader or bow season, and why the better seasons are given to them, is because it is harder/more limiting. I hunt all 3 weapons and agree that for healthy hunters muzzleloader only seasons should be left open sights.

Love it. Been a while since I've ruffled the LR muzzleloader crowd's feathers, so I'll observe this again... by the time you get to 400 yards, a stout hunting load from a CVA Paramount is in the same ballistic territory as lever action .357 Trapper carbines that you often hear are too anemic for whitetail.

Keep scopes out of the world of western muzzleloader hunting.

Love it. Been a while since I've ruffled the LR muzzleloader crowd's feathers, so I'll observe this again... by the time you get to 400 yards, a stout hunting load from a CVA Paramount is in the same ballistic territory as lever action .357 Trapper carbines that you often hear are too anemic for whitetail.

Keep scopes out of the world of western muzzleloader hunting.
I use a 357 mag bolt rifle and love it.

W some practice, a ML guy can probably get 150 yards out of iron sights. 200 if they use one of those peep site with crosshair things.

I use a 357 mag bolt rifle and love it.

W some practice, a ML guy can probably get 150 yards out of iron sights. 200 if they use one of those peep site with crosshair things.
I hunted in NV with a muzzleloader using a rear peep with a front bead which I bought and installed for just that hunt as before had a 0 power scope.. By 150 yards at the range, the front bead was basically the size of the 12" target zone. I could line up okay but was not reassuring so I was not shooting out that far even at a bull elk unless a follow-up on a hit bull. Fortunately, the bull walked up out of a creek bed bugling for about the 150th time that morning so the shot was about 30 yards.

I am not sure what unit it was but Kuiu just sent out a muzzle elk hunt video, 1st shot was something like 548 yds, he missed only because he didn't compensate for wind drift, the hight of the shot was perfect. The 2nd shot was over 4 hundred and he killed the elk.
I am very sure based on my observations and knowledge of unit 15 in NM the mature bull elk numbers have been pummeled since the onslaught of scoped muzzle loaders.
There is a reason there are typically no rifle hunts during the rut, eventually the predominant bulls are small or raghorns.

images

Back