New Mexico FS RD Closures

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
I heard rumor that the state of NM is closing the access road into unit 52 off of highway 285 for archery season. If I remember correctly, many private ranches in unit 4 use that road to access their properties also. Supposedly, FS Rd 87 will be shut down Aug. 28 to September 28 for bridge work.
Does anyone know why the state would choose archery season to close the access to the unit? Is there any other road closures planned in the state (other units) during this time?
I am not from the area, but I am familiar with Carson NF. It just seemed like VERY odd timing to me...

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a super old thread, but hoping to find out some info on the 117 From HWY 17 out of Chama, and connecting to the 87 to gain access to the unit. What is the road condition like? Forest Service Ranger lady told me it was so nasty she wouldn't drive her 3500 from that direction... Curios what/if there are any recent experiences? I can't imagine it would actually be that bad..

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been on that specific one but the roads in 51 52 are seriously that bad. If FS ranger said that, I'd be inclined to believe them.

The state road department doesn't care what activities are going on. They have a budget program and they follow it.

Believe it or not, most people that work don't hunt, and the ones that work with hunters are neutral or oblivious to hunting.

yfarm

WKR
I know of no public access to 52 from the west only from the south and east. Have never looked into from Antonito. There are seriously challenging “roads”particularly if you are using a vehicle you expect to drive home.

I’m guessing that same lady was the one that told me about another road in the unit that she drove in her big truck that wasn’t that bad that we almost got stuck in and ran into another group that said it went through a ditch in the road with nearly 2’ of water in it. …so if she says it’s bad, I wouldn’t even try it.

Most of the roads SUCK in that unit.

As an example, 83 is supposed to be suitable for passenger cars but is incredibly rutted and where it is not rutted it is full off big rocks. We got through during day time and when dry. I can’t imagine driving it at night or in the rain.