New Mexico Elk

Lyeatman

FNG
So many of you have given me threads to follow and read each evening I thought I would share my New Mexico trip.

2020 has been tough on us all, but for what felt like the first time during the year something actually went right.

Do you know all of those long exciting stories that we all love to read? This isn’t that story.

Dad and I drove 17 hours to New Mexico this week. The first morning we had our plan and like I told him, in my entire life has “the plan” the night before worked out like we all hope. It just has to happen. So we get up the first morning and head to our spot and wouldn’t you know we find a good bull (that’s a positive) but he’s up the mountain and we aren’t and there is really no way to really make a move on him unless he comes back down the mountain later that afternoon. So we did what elk hunters do, we walked and glassed and glasses and walked to see if we could find another elk (we didn’t find one).

Later that evening we sat at the base of the mountain hoping that they would make their way back. We first spotted them at 850 yards away about 5:00. By 5:45 they were at 770 yards away. Looking at me watch I was constantly wondering what the exact minute that it got “dark dark”.

As it turns out, the elk got thirsty and starting making their way towards the bottom and by 6:10 they made it to the bottom and the story book ending was complete.

I am very thankful for my short time in NM and will hope to get to go back another day.

I am back in line looking for the threads on preference points, unit percentages, and hopefully seeing other people having success.

Thanks everyone! A1C78AF5-7003-482A-944E-4D06E843C2BA.jpeg

reaper10

FNG
So many of you have given me threads to follow and read each evening I thought I would share my New Mexico trip.

2020 has been tough on us all, but for what felt like the first time during the year something actually went right.

Do you know all of those long exciting stories that we all love to read? This isn’t that story.

Dad and I drove 17 hours to New Mexico this week. The first morning we had our plan and like I told him, in my entire life has “the plan” the night before worked out like we all hope. It just has to happen. So we get up the first morning and head to our spot and wouldn’t you know we find a good bull (that’s a positive) but he’s up the mountain and we aren’t and there is really no way to really make a move on him unless he comes back down the mountain later that afternoon. So we did what elk hunters do, we walked and glassed and glasses and walked to see if we could find another elk (we didn’t find one).

Later that evening we sat at the base of the mountain hoping that they would make their way back. We first spotted them at 850 yards away about 5:00. By 5:45 they were at 770 yards away. Looking at me watch I was constantly wondering what the exact minute that it got “dark dark”.

As it turns out, the elk got thirsty and starting making their way towards the bottom and by 6:10 they made it to the bottom and the story book ending was complete.

I am very thankful for my short time in NM and will hope to get to go back another day.

I am back in line looking for the threads on preference points, unit percentages, and hopefully seeing other people having success.

Thanks everyone! View attachment 224974
Do you happen to have experience in Unit 16D? My daughter has a cow tag there at the end of this month.

Wow nice bull! I was successful in unit 12 opening morning Oct 17 and I worked my ass off 6 days leading up to opening. Saw bulls everyday during that scout. Still my opportunity was razor thin and waking up at 3:50am and walking slowly in the dark for 2 hours paid off.

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
Right on. But first things first. We gotta teach you to sit back behind the animal. A. It gives them the sport light and B, the most important part, It makes them look even bigger!!! lol

OP
Lyeatman

Lyeatman

FNG
Right on. But first things first. We gotta teach you to sit back behind the animal. A. It gives them the sport light and B, the most important part, It makes them look even bigger!!! lol
Here you go!

Attachments

• 01BD4CFC-7770-493E-A7DC-1D50B808C198.jpeg
    01BD4CFC-7770-493E-A7DC-1D50B808C198.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 80

J_teeters

FNG

Thanks everyone! View attachment 224974
Awesome bull. I'm doing my homework now for the upcoming draw and would love to be a beneficiary of some of the wisdom others shared with you. I live in NM, fortunately, so am hoping to draw something. Archery and rifle are options.

Appreciate any tips!