New Mexico Archery Elk: Unit 6B - Beauty & Passion

KHNC

WKR
well hell, looks like you waited an excessively long time to follow up from 2018

OP
StopMakingSense
Ha, wow, this was old. I drew this tag twice, if you have questions send me a PM, I've seen some monsters taken out of here and chased a few as well.

I went back the second time with Pete at 505 Outfitters, great guy and I would recommend him to anyone.

Early Archery 2018

IMG_4597.JPG

Early Archery 2019 - Last hour of the last day after 14 days, missed a few giants with the bow.

IMG_1311.JPG

OP
StopMakingSense
Ha yeah sorry guys, my life has been a roller coaster since I broke my leg. I'm in a much better spot now but I ruptured my spleen (almost died) and lost my job two months before the hunt. This was already on top of rupturing my femur in January!

I broke my leg AGAIN in 2019, then overcame addiction from all of the meds I was prescribed in 2020, and finally went sober in 2021. If you're ever suffering, please shoot me a PM! We can all get through this!

I did get one that trip despite my leg being messed up and losing half my blood from the spleen rupture. I limped for 6 miles packing that elk out through a burned deadfall-choked hell hole.

2018 and 2019 bull as they lay

IMG_4588.JPG

IMG_0472.jpeg

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
So you drew the ONE NR Tag for this unit 2 years in a row? How is that even possible ? I guess after all the leg breaking you went thru, you paid your dues. lol

Scoot

WKR
That's absolutely crazy that you drew it in back to back years. You sure you're not just going in there and hunting without a tag??? Haha- JK

Congrats on kicking the substance use problems. That's way more noteworthy than a couple elk! But... the elk are nice too. Many congrats!

Last edited:
I had the second archery hunt in 2023. I lost my bull due to a bad shot. Going through a case of target panic. It was a tough hunt! A lot of it has burned now and all the dead standing trees have fallen to make it a match stick nightmare! Still a lot of good ground to hunt though. The bulls were herded up and bed down in the deadfall and stay in that stuff cruising the ridge tops. I had to ambush them by getting ahead of them since they refused to come in to any calls. I tried every trick in the book that usually work. It was a really fun hunt but I enjoyed my Valle Vidal hunt in 2013 more.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Just thought I'd throw this out here. If OP happens to draw the tag again:ROFLMAO: or any lucky tagholders find this post, I live right outside the Caldera and am happy to call/haul animals in 2024. I am NOT an outfitter and will not/can not accept anything for it, I just love every part of hunting elk more than anything in the world.