New Mexico antelope??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 11 year old daughter drew antelope. I applied her for the Oct hunt since school is out that week. I have hunted antelope before in Wy.
Just wondering what to expect. Are there respectable bucks on public in the unit? Should I look into paying for a trespass fee? If so, any ranch suggestions?
I want to do everything possible ahead of time to make sure this hunt is successful.
Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It might help if we knew what unit. Lots of good bucks on public land. Some units have access issues some don’t.

You should be fine. Tons of antelope in that part of the world. Lots of county roads to access state lands. Not all state lands are accessible by vehicle. Some places you may have to walk in. Make sure you start your tracker on OnX. AT&T works best up there. Verizon will have some dead spots.

OP
A
You should be fine. Tons of antelope in that part of the world. Lots of county roads to access state lands. Not all state lands are accessible by vehicle. Some places you may have to walk in. Make sure you start your tracker on OnX. AT&T works best up there. Verizon will have some dead spots.
Thanks for that info! I remember that most of the animals in Wy were always close to water which was a lake or river. My concern is the Only water I see in is on private.

BBob

WKR
My concern is the Only water I see in is on private.
Just like elk, antelope can and will go a long ways to and from water each day. I wouldn’t be overly concerned about water only on private if there is public nearby. They aren’t necessarily going to hang there (near water) all day.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen absolute tanks in that unit on private land. If it was my tag, I’d be looking for something 75+. Then again, I’m not a youth drawing tag.

OP
A
I’ve seen absolute tanks in that unit on private land. If it was my tag, I’d be looking for something 75+. Then again, I’m not a youth drawing tag.
Thanks for the info! I’m only concerned that all the animals will be on private. I am just hoping to find a respectable buck on public. The last think I want is for my daughter to eat antelope tag soup.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Did she draw the youth hunt Oct 14-16 or the regular hunt the week before (Oct 7-9)? The youth hunt is female/Immature buck only. Either way, there are plenty of antelope on accessible state land in the unit.

OP
A
Did she draw the youth hunt Oct 14-16 or the regular hunt the week before (Oct 7-9)? The youth hunt is female/Immature buck only. Either way, there are plenty of antelope on accessible state land in the unit.
It’s the regular draw on Oct 7-9. Chose those dates due to fall break. My experience w antelope is they are somewhat close to water and most of the water I see on the map is on private.

Status
Not open for further replies.