New Mexico 5B

Jbulcoc2

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve tried to do as much research as I could, but couldn’t find much on this particular unit. Long story short I have a family member that gets a landowner tag for unit 5B every year. This will be my first year ever attempting to Elk Hunt, I am from the Midwest and have over 20 years of Hunting whitetails from a tree. They said he finds out July 1 What type of tag it will be but the last two years have been Bull tags so they are anticipating a cow tag.
From guys that know the area or have Hunted there, can you recommend an outfitter as I have zero experience elk hunting. I plan on going, regardless of what type of tag he draws just for the experience and learning the ropes. Through my research I have learned that this is a great area.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure it is 6B? That is the Valles Caldera National Preserve. I was unaware that there are any landowner tags in that unit. Are you sure he isn't pulling your leg??

dtrkyman

WKR
That is definitely the Caldera, no land owner tags. However get any tag you can if it is 6c or 6a. Keep in mind some landowner tags are only good for the property they are issued, some are unit wide which would open their ranch to the public.

PM me if you get a tag, I live in 6c and am a licensed guide in NM.

OP
J

Jbulcoc2

FNG
Classified Approved
After looking at the maps and signals responses, I believe you guys are correct he is in unit 5B where his home is located. He said that his tag has always been unit wide.

OP
J

Jbulcoc2

FNG
Classified Approved
That is definitely the Caldera, no land owner tags. However get any tag you can if it is 6c or 6a. Keep in mind some landowner tags are only good for the property they are issued, some are unit wide which would open their ranch to the public.

PM me if you get a tag, I live in 6c and am a licensed guide in NM.
It is unit 5B that his tag is good for and it is the whole unit. Is that a unit you hunt in?

dtrkyman

WKR
I have not, but spent plenty of time along the river fishing. Solid unit!

Get the tag and go hunt!

dtrkyman

WKR
Also keep in mind your family memeber would provide you with a voucher, then you have to purchase the tag from game and fish.

MP.hunter

FNG
I hunted deer there in ‘18, you can PM me with your cell. I ran into a guide there who I can give you there contact as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk