New Kifaru wood stove????

cmeier117

WKR
That's why it needs to have an air intake down low to allow the stove to draft properly. I just don't see the point of the taller side walls if you can only add wood the the height of the door that's located on the bottom. It would be a simple fix that would make a huge difference in the usefulness of the stove.

Based on the answer Patrick gave on Kifaru Forums I think you can cram in longer sticks at an angle towards the top of the stove. Thus allowing you to get more wood on the fire.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I've tested this stove (small one in the 4 man) with Aron and let me tell ya, it holds WAY MORE wood then you think. Looks like it wont hold a bunch but we stoked it all night and only by 6am did we dump it before we left.

cmeier117

WKR
Here are the specs listed by Patrick on K forums.

---Small Low Wall (417 cubes) with pipe for all Tarps and ParaTipi: 1lb. 4oz. /// With pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 1lb. 9oz.
---Small High Wall (715 cubes) with pipe for all Tarps and ParaTipi: 1lb. 6 3/4oz./// With pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 1lb. 11 3/4oz.

---Medium Low Wall (799 cubes) with pipe for all Tarps and ParaTipi: 1lb. 10oz./// With pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 1lb. 15oz.
---Medium High Wall (1371 cubes) with pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 2lb. 1 1/2oz.///With pipe for 6 and 8 man: 2lb. 4 3/4oz./// 12 man: 2lb. 7 1/2oz.

---Large Low Wall (1666 cubes) with pipe for 6 and 8 man: 3lbs. 7 1/2oz./// With pipe for 12 man: 3lb. 11 1/2oz./// 16 man: 3lb. 13 1/2oz./// 24 man: 4lb. 5oz.
---Large Medium Wall (2856 cubes) with pipe for 6 and 8 man: 3lb. 12oz./// With pipe for 12 man: 4lb./// 16 man: 4lb.2oz./// 24 man: 4lb. 9 1/2oz.
---Large High Wall (4225 cubes) with pipe for 6 and 8 man: 4lb. 1/4oz./// With pipe for 12 man: 4lb. 4 1/4oz./// 16 man: 4lb. 6 1/4oz./// 24 man: 4lb. 13 3/4oz.

In comparison to the old stoves the Medium for an 4 man is 864 cu inch. and 5 lb 6 oz. comparison to new is the medium low wall. that is 3.5 lbs savings.

Old Large for 8 man is 1500 cu inch and basically 7 lbs. New is large low wall or medium high wall which is 3.5 lbs or 2 lb 5 oz. So that is a 3.5- 4.7 lb savings. That is incredible!! I think the medium low/high wall is going to be a great combo for guys with Mega tarp to 12 man tipi.

Pretty sure I'll order a medium short model... should cover a little bugout with new large vestibule as well as two bugouts with a tarp connector with ease!

Mike

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
That's why it needs to have an air intake down low to allow the stove to draft properly. I just don't see the point of the taller side walls if you can only add wood the the height of the door that's located on the bottom. It would be a simple fix that would make a huge difference in the usefulness of the stove.

I would think more surface area would create more heat. Not only that, but more C.I. Would allow for a more complete burn I.e. More efficient. The higher sidewalks would also allow for longer pieces of wood(diagonal measurement from bottom front to upper back). I believe Patrick knows what he is doing.

Here are the specs listed by Patrick on K forums.

---Small Low Wall (417 cubes) with pipe for all Tarps and ParaTipi: 1lb. 4oz. /// With pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 1lb. 9oz.
---Small High Wall (715 cubes) with pipe for all Tarps and ParaTipi: 1lb. 6 3/4oz./// With pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 1lb. 11 3/4oz.

---Medium Low Wall (799 cubes) with pipe for all Tarps and ParaTipi: 1lb. 10oz./// With pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 1lb. 15oz.
---Medium High Wall (1371 cubes) with pipe for 4 man and Sawtooth: 2lb. 1 1/2oz.///With pipe for 6 and 8 man: 2lb. 4 3/4oz./// 12 man: 2lb. 7 1/2oz.

---Large Low Wall (1666 cubes) with pipe for 6 and 8 man: 3lbs. 7 1/2oz./// With pipe for 12 man: 3lb. 11 1/2oz./// 16 man: 3lb. 13 1/2oz./// 24 man: 4lb. 5oz.
---Large Medium Wall (2856 cubes) with pipe for 6 and 8 man: 3lb. 12oz./// With pipe for 12 man: 4lb./// 16 man: 4lb.2oz./// 24 man: 4lb. 9 1/2oz.
---Large High Wall (4225 cubes) with pipe for 6 and 8 man: 4lb. 1/4oz./// With pipe for 12 man: 4lb. 4 1/4oz./// 16 man: 4lb. 6 1/4oz./// 24 man: 4lb. 13 3/4oz.

In comparison to the old stoves the Medium for an 4 man is 864 cu inch. and 5 lb 6 oz. comparison to new is the medium low wall. that is 3.5 lbs savings.

Old Large for 8 man is 1500 cu inch and basically 7 lbs. New is large low wall or medium high wall which is 3.5 lbs or 2 lb 5 oz. So that is a 3.5- 4.7 lb savings. That is incredible!! I think the medium low/high wall is going to be a great combo for guys with Mega tarp to 12 man tipi.
Do those weights include whatever bags you need to carry the stoves?That added allot to their old stoves.
Tim

My only complaint about my large Kifaru stove is that it's not airtight at all. If I fill it full of wood it goes off like a rocket. I'm anxious to see if the new stoves can be more effectively dampened, so you can load them up for longer burn times.

Mike7

WKR
These stoves are very interesting as I compare them to what I currently have. What intrigues me most is not the wt savings for the smaller stoves, but rather the potential for the large medium and high wall stoves to burn for a few hours...and all for right under or at 4 lbs including the stove pipe. I guess this would require the ability for these stoves to really control their air flow well though, and for the door to allow decent diameter wood maybe.

With all other things being nearly equal as far as cubic inches, wt, etc., I would always choose a taller/longer stove just for the ability to put longer pieces of wood in which require less cutting.

For comparison with my stoves:
1) I have a TiGoat Large Titanium Stove with 8 ft Ti stove pipe and carry bag that all together weighs 3 lbs 10 oz . If my adding is right, this stove is only 892 cu in. With the damper shut down most of the way on the stove pipe I can get burns of 1/2 hour with a full stove.
2) On the other hand, I have a car camping/winter camping Riley Stove (partially double walled) that weighs 20 plus pounds. It is 3,289 cu in and can take at least 8" diameter logs. It can burn a few hours when completely full and dampered down.

If the Large Kifaru High wall can burn for a few hours, for only a 4 lb weight penalty between stove and pipe...wow, that would be amazing.

I did talk to Aron about these and he says that compared to just overall weights across the market it's not even a comparison for burn times. I would almost like to see an axillary door at the middle/top of the stoves for loading but it actually may not even be needed.

Mike

It seems like the folks at Kifaru put a massive amount of time into gear testing before releasing a product. There is a lot of experience at work there and some real pride of workmanship. I will be ordering a new stove for my tipi as soon as these go on sale.

Patrick

FNG
Hello Roksliders, here is an essay on matching our new Oval Stoves with our Shelters. I hope you find it helpful:

Pairing Oval Stoves With Shelters--

Small Low Wall--Excellent 4 season match for cooking and heating ParaTarp and SuperTarp with Annex. Excellent cooker and "space heater" in front of any of the K Tarps when using them without Annexes. Excellent 3 season choice in the MegaTarp with Annex as well as the ParaTipi. I'm speaking here in terms of shirt sleeve warmth production. In terms of slightly less than that level, but still very much nicer than outside, it will cover 3 seasons up thru 4-man and Sawtooth. Fine for high country summer use up into 6 man and 8 man realm in "normal" weather.

Small High Wall--Overkill in the ParaTarp and SuperTarp but still usable (note the adjustable leg height feature) and gives longer burn time before needing to empty ash. You can certainly moderate feeding to tone the heat down. Excellent 4 season stove in MegaTarp and ParaTipi. It's very narrow profile shines in these shelters. Solid 3 season goodness in 4 man and Sawtooth. Very capable summer stove in 6-8 man shelters.

Small Series Summary--13 inches of length is admirable for firewood selection and processing. And the 5 inch width is exceptionally efficient for backpack-grade cooking vessels for the size shelters and occupancy intended; it is also "out of the way" in narrow Tarps and the ParaTipi. It's the narrowest stove available. If you possess both Low and High sidewalls the Small Series packs a lot of function and versatility. The sidewalls are so light you can seriously consider carrying both if you're not sure of conditions. While they will provide cooking surface for 2 pots or one full size skillet (excellent by any other stove standards in this category) they can't compete in cooking with the larger Ovals--which are purpose-built for the larger shelters and greater occupancy. Even though the Small High Wall could produce satisfactory heating a Medium Low Wall stove could at that point become the preferred choice.

Medium Low Wall--With a bit larger firebox than the Small High Wall the Medium/Low takes over the role of cooking and heating larger shelters with more occupancy and therefor cooking surface need. It also is a fine 4 season stove for the MegaTarp and ParaTipi and even 4 man. As it functions on the Medium platform simply fetching a High Sidewall will move you significantly upward in heat production and retain the nicely laid out cooking surface the Medium stoves offer. As is, the Low/Medium will provide 3 season warmth and cooking for the 4 man and Sawtooth and come close for the 6 man. It is certainly a very nice summer stove for the 6 and 8 man tipis, and has a nice cooking surface for mid-summer ramblings in the 12 man.

Medium High Wall--This is a big step up in heat output. Use this option in arctic cold in your Sawtooth or 4 man, and in mid-winter most places in your 6, 8 and even 12 man if you run it hard. This size stove is very useful indeed, covering a lot of shelter scenarios.

Medium Series Summary--This is the great middle category, allowing you to move across many shelters and seasons, especially if you have both sidewalls. Use the Low Wall with modest wood input clear down into Tarp outings. Run the same platform with the High Wall option up into late season and winter in multi-occupancy tipis. Very thoughtful surface for cooking. There is a lot to like about the Mediums.

Large Low Wall--When your group is several folks and you're intent on real cooking this is the selection for you. It is not too hot for summer use in the 8 man and up, but will kick the BTU's out in serious cold if you stoke it. And it's incredibly lightweight for such a large stove...one with huge upgrade potential for really cold weather. Just fetch a taller sidewall, and still have a micro-light set-up for what it will do.

Large Medium Wall--This is the same output as our box Arctic stove, but just look at the weight! It is so light and so functional that a group can happily get a larger tipi and live better than ever, carrying the whole tipi/stove camp anywhere they want. Yes, this big stove in an upgrade size tipi is still lighter than the previous box stove options in smaller tipis. This size will make an 8 or 12 man toasty in mid-winter arctic. And make a 16 man quiet cozy.

Large High Wall--This is a monster stove, but incredibly lightweight. Run a 16 man or even 24 man tipi with complete warmth confidence anywhere, anytime. There aren't enough superlatives to do justice to the combination of heat output, cooking surface and justifiable carry weight of the King.

Large Series Summary--In looking over my words on the Large Oval Series it becomes clear that perhaps the most telling thing about them is that for the very first time really big and useful backpack stoves are completely worth selecting and carrying if a few guys are involved in the trip. Not that many, either. This series is a whole new level of the art,. I will use them a LOT. These very big stoves are definitely in the quite doable weight range for man carry. In my view moving up into this Series is an easy decision.

I am very pleased with these new stoves. I've been working to create just such "tools" for the backcountry a long, long time. I am going to use them hard and happily wherever I ramble. And may you enjoy them as much as I do!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the thorough explanation of the different stoves, and glad to see you here on rokslide Patrick! I am always excited to see what innovative new stuff you come up with, and these new stoves are no exception! I will have to discuss it with the guy in charge of our household gear purchasing, but I am hoping we get a chance to try one of these out soon!