New Impact Precision Life Size Big Game AR500 Targets

Which target do y’all like best?

• Total voters

Cody_W

WKR
Impact just posted some new additions to their target lineup. All three of these caught my eye. What’s y’all’s favorite of the bunch? I have a ton of their targets and I can’t say enough about them. Absolutely love their free swinging vitals and that there isn’t a single weld anywhere.

Attachments

• Mountain Goat.png
    Mountain Goat.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Bighorn Sheep.png
    Bighorn Sheep.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Ibex.png
    Ibex.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 80
OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Well, the vital plates are all incorrect.
I’d say they’re pretty close. I prefer the uniform look over every single target being a little different personally. The size is to scale.

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 81
Would definitely need a range you could leave it up to want to deal with one of those big SOBs! Agree that if there is a benefit to shooting animal shaped targets, it would be ideal if the vitals you're shooting at were more true.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Would definitely need a range you could leave it up to want to deal with one of those big SOBs! Agree that if there is a benefit to shooting animal shaped targets, it would be ideal if the vitals you're shooting at were more true.

I’m thankful to have a dedicated space for a range out on my place, the biggest target I have is the whitetail and it’s right around 130lbs all setup. Heavy, but manageable if I needed to take the targets down. 😂

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’d say they’re pretty close. I prefer the uniform look over every single target being a little different personally. The size is to scale.

Except for the sheep in this post, notice how the forward part of the lungs come past or to, the forward edge of the leg/scalula. The steel targets have half of the lungs past the diaphragm in the liver/stomach.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Except for the sheep in this post, notice how the forward part of the lungs come past or to, the forward edge of the leg/scalula. The steel targets have half of the lungs past the diaphragm in the liver/stomach.
I see what you’re saying, the targets would benefit from having the vital cutout pushed forward a bit.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
This is why I look at these targets and think about how cool they would be but always pass. I would rather see a round disc cutout centered on the crease or 2/3 forward into the shoulder. That way I practice shooting at something in nearly the right spot for a center lung shot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I see what you’re saying, the targets would benefit from having the vital cutout pushed forward a bit.

Yes sir. Wasn’t saying the targets aren’t quality, just as a training aid they need the vital moved forward.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
I think the vitals on the steel targets are supposed to mimicking more than just the lungs, but I see what you’re talking about!

11boo

WKR
Pretty cool targets with bighorn leading the vote.

I used to shoot at Rifle sportsman club, they had a steel buffalo at 440 IIRC.

Now I go to cameo. They have a “Quantity is a Quality” thing going there.
12x12, all over the mountain.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.png
    IMG_0814.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
This is a cool concept. Being able to hit a 12” gong from every angle to a good distance is a great training point.

Antares

WKR
Those are super cool! I'm biased towards the goat. My first reaction was the same as Form's though... "holy s**t, those vitals are far back!" If you shoot a goat on the back edge of that "vitals" plate, you're gonna have a bad day.

I'd prefer a 10" flapper plate right about here:

1707329787512.png

EdP

WKR
When it is crunch time and the adrenaline is up, you will do what you have practiced. The vitals need to be properly located. I think you are better off just shooting at a steel plate than practicing shooting in the wrong place on a life size target.

If you really want one you can make your own life size target from plywood, paint it to look more realistic, and cut a hole for a steel plate where the vitals are located. Hang the plate from T posts behind the hole. Every clang that swings the plate is a kill shot. The plywood will have a limited life due to splatter.

WCB

WKR
Look good...I won't beat on the vital zone as my thoughts have been relayed by others. My target would have a all the paint warn off on the right edge of every one of those vital zones. My brain would have a hard time letting my finger break shots mid/mid on an animal shaped target. My 3d archery targets are the same way I punch a hole on the bottom right edge of them and 99% of the rest of the insert is brand new.

UPDATE: just saw the updated vital zones...good on them

Last edited: