New Hoyt Alpha X Compound Bow: Exclusive Test and Review Coming Soon!

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
2/7/24 update:

Zach's review is live!

Hoyt Alpha X Bow Review

Previous discussion:

Hey everyone!

I'm thrilled to announce that I've got my hands on the latest release from Hoyt – the Alpha X, and it's time for a detailed, hands-on test and review. Trust me, this is something you won't want to miss!

🎯 What's in Store? I'll be putting the Alpha X through its paces, examining everything from arrow speed to the subtleties of its draw cycle. Here's a sneak peek at what I'll cover:

• Arrow Speed: How fast does this bow really shoot?
  • Sound Emission: Is it as whisper-quiet as promised? I'll record the sound levels for you to judge.
  • Draw Cycle & Back Wall: Every archer knows how crucial these aspects are. I'll give you an in-depth look.
  • Shootability: It's all about the feel and response. Can the Alpha X live up to the hype?
  • Bow Weight: For those long hunts, weight matters. I'll weigh in on this literally, no fluff right out of the box.
  • Field Testing: And of course, no review is complete without taking it out in the field. I’ll share my real-world experience with the Alpha X.
🌟 Why You Should Tune In? Whether you're a seasoned archer or just starting out, understanding the nuances of a bow like the Hoyt Alpha X is crucial. This video will be packed with detailed insights, comparisons, and my honest opinion to help you make an informed decision.

🔔 Stay Tuned! I'm just as excited as you are to dive into this review. Make sure to stay tuned for the full video. I promise it will be worth the wait!

Your Thoughts? What are you most curious about regarding the Hoyt Alpha X? Let me know in the comments below. Your questions might just make it into the video!

@robby denningScreenshot 2023-12-15 at 5.47.53 PM.jpgScreenshot 2023-12-15 at 5.46.25 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to it, I’ve enjoyed your previous bow reviews. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the new platform vs the ventum series.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to it, I’ve enjoyed your previous bow reviews. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the new platform vs the ventum series.
Thanks for the interest! Maybe I'll look into a direct comparison between the VTM and the Alpha X on my personal channel!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey everyone, just an update! I conducted all the tests and hunted with the bow. The video should be out in the next couple weeks!

dapesche

WKR
Nice one
Thank you.

I'm trying to decide between rx7/rx7 ultra, vtm 34 and alpha.

I hunt elk in steep mtns so I'm leaning towards the rx7 standard.

Will be interesting to listen to your review.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well done review, really liked seeing arrow speeds at different draw lengths.

For the backwall test, did you try switching between the "hard" and "extra hard" configurations? Curious if it really makes much of a difference.
No I didn't try that.

Great review finally shooting again after elbow and shoulder issues been looking to move up form the old defiant. Curious as our arrows are the same length u shooting 125 heads with inserts?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious what arrow rest you are using? And also, great shooting. Aside from shooter skill, what components of that system would you say contributed most to your accuracy? Consistency of arrows, the sight, stability of the bow itself?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m curious what arrow rest you are using? And also, great shooting. Aside from shooter skill, what components of that system would you say contributed most to your accuracy? Consistency of arrows, the sight, stability of the bow itself?
Those are excellent questions! I am going to release a video on my personal channel (Battle Mountain Media) covering arrow builds with the purpose of uncovering some myths on the whole process. I think it will shed light on a few things for myself so I hope it helps others too!

On that setup, I was using the Ripcord Drive rest and I love it. I think good shooting is a culmination of a few different things. I think having straight arrow flight (I walk back tune video coming soon on my channel), a forgiving bow, the sight you shoot best with (single or multiple pin), and the shooter (release of the shot, hand placement on the bow, etc.)

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review finally shooting again after elbow and shoulder issues been looking to move up form the old defiant. Curious as our arrows are the same length u shooting 125 heads with inserts?
Awesome I am glad you are back at it! I have a few different arrow builds. Until carbon injections were discontinued I loved them with 50gr insert, 25gr collar, and 100gr head.

I have easton injections with their insert that is 16gr, 25gr collar, and 100gr head.

I have some franken arrows which are my shaft of choice, gold tip insert outsert collar system which is 45gr, and a 100gr head.

With all that said, I just built a bunch of different arrows to do a HUGE arrow test on my personal channel (Battle Mountain Media)

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_185835467.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240204_185835467.MP.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 10
Really nice video, thank you. I tend to upgrade my bow every 15 years or so "whether I need to or not" and that time is coming. I'm a member of the Hoyt tribe so I always start there and have been considering upgrading to the Alpha X this year.

What the video did not do, as far as I can tell, is provide any comparable guidance or any discussion about why someone should consider buying THIS bow. Plebes like me rely on gurus like you to offer informed opinions on some basis.

Having said that, I suspect that for folks that really "know" what modern bows are capable of, and perhaps know what your personal accuracy potential is - maybe to them they know how to assess your practical arrow speed and your practical accuracy to arrive at some conclusions. My main conclusion is that the bow flings arrows fast and you are a much better archer than me! LOL.

Seriously, thank you for what you did, but also seriously I would truly value your deeper insights.
Nice one
Thank you.

I'm trying to decide between rx7/rx7 ultra, vtm 34 and alpha.

I hunt elk in steep mtns so I'm leaning towards the rx7 standard.

Will be interesting to listen to your review.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
I too hunt elk in steep high elevation areas. And I'm considering upgrading from my 2011 model year Hoyt Maxxis .... When I started looking into the RX8 vs the Alpha X a few weeks ago, I was "expecting" to find that the RX8 was lighter (I do not chase lightweight - I chase accuracy - ), had less bow shock, but otherwise had similar draw and shooting dynamics to the Alpha X.

Many / or at least some reviews contradict that expectation, with the weight being about the same, and the cams are different and at least for some people less desirable. I don't recall exactly about bow shock, but I "think" a common conclusion was that shock was so low and balance was so good with the Alpha X that the RX8 wasn't materially different one way or another in that regard. I could be wrong on that because the "RX8 lost me after a few folks commented on weight and draw cycle".

Other than a "warmer grip" I couldn't think of a good reason to spend that much more money for the RX8 for my use case. I am NOT a bow afficiando and don't replace bows often - so others may justifiably feel differently.

I'd love to get feedback on the RX8 vs. Alpha X from a true wizard like Zach.

dapesche

WKR
I ended up grabbing a rx7 in the 65# weight with a 29.5" DL.

Got the bow and boy was the draw cycle and hold so much nicer. Way less jumpy too. I can actually relax a bit at full draw vs. pull back into the wall.

That Sypder Turbo was a sweet bow, but the engineering has sure improved over the last 10 years.

I had my eye on the vtm 34 in a 70# DW but it's hard to find LH bows.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really nice video, thank you. I tend to upgrade my bow every 15 years or so "whether I need to or not" and that time is coming. I'm a member of the Hoyt tribe so I always start there and have been considering upgrading to the Alpha X this year.

What the video did not do, as far as I can tell, is provide any comparable guidance or any discussion about why someone should consider buying THIS bow. Plebes like me rely on gurus like you to offer informed opinions on some basis.

Having said that, I suspect that for folks that really "know" what modern bows are capable of, and perhaps know what your personal accuracy potential is - maybe to them they know how to assess your practical arrow speed and your practical accuracy to arrive at some conclusions. My main conclusion is that the bow flings arrows fast and you are a much better archer than me! LOL.

Seriously, thank you for what you did, but also seriously I would truly value your deeper insights.

I too hunt elk in steep high elevation areas. And I'm considering upgrading from my 2011 model year Hoyt Maxxis .... When I started looking into the RX8 vs the Alpha X a few weeks ago, I was "expecting" to find that the RX8 was lighter (I do not chase lightweight - I chase accuracy - ), had less bow shock, but otherwise had similar draw and shooting dynamics to the Alpha X.

Many / or at least some reviews contradict that expectation, with the weight being about the same, and the cams are different and at least for some people less desirable. I don't recall exactly about bow shock, but I "think" a common conclusion was that shock was so low and balance was so good with the Alpha X that the RX8 wasn't materially different one way or another in that regard. I could be wrong on that because the "RX8 lost me after a few folks commented on weight and draw cycle".

Other than a "warmer grip" I couldn't think of a good reason to spend that much more money for the RX8 for my use case. I am NOT a bow afficiando and don't replace bows often - so others may justifiably feel differently.

I'd love to get feedback on the RX8 vs. Alpha X from a true wizard like Zach.
Hey thanks for the kind words! I never know exactly what people are looking for or why they want a specific bow so I simply give them all the numbers and let them decide for themselves. I did release an Alpha X v.s. VTM on my channel you might find useful.

Please ask any question you have an I'll do my best to answer them and guide you to your perfect bow!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ended up grabbing a rx7 in the 65# weight with a 29.5" DL.

Got the bow and boy was the draw cycle and hold so much nicer. Way less jumpy too. I can actually relax a bit at full draw vs. pull back into the wall.

That Sypder Turbo was a sweet bow, but the engineering has sure improved over the last 10 years.

I had my eye on the vtm 34 in a 70# DW but it's hard to find LH bows.
I have a VTM left handed for sale right now! ha ha

I am glad you found a bow you like!