New home build

Delta21

FNG
Starting the process on building a new home. What are some features/ammenities etc. that you have done or wished you would have done? Features/layout/hacks, etc. let em fly!

wnelson14

WKR
Toilet in the garage, no stairs or steps if terrain allows anywhere. Hot water faucet outside for dog/kid wash, drive through garage, outdoor flood lights around perimeter with switches in bedrooms.
Pre wire for cameras, inside speakers, patio speakers, patio heaters, patio fans (if you have a covered patio)
If you have young kids build the house to have “their side” because you won’t needed that side much in the future.
Pre plan and route all outdoor lighting, gas for fire pit of fire place, electrical for outdoor kitchen if a possibility. Soffit plugs tied to a switch for lighting/xmas lights.
Preplan/Plump for a backup electrical generate by your power meter.

If you think your closets are to big make them a hair bigger.

Use any dead space or hidden space for a gun room/ storage if space allows.

I built a house three years ago and did almost all of the above with no regrets and very minimal things I would change.

Superx3

FNG
We call it a “nook” in the kitchen. Cabinet on the countertop with multiple plugins for kitchen aid, vacuum sealer, blenders and such. Just open the doors use them and close the doors. No getting them down out of the cabinet to use. image.jpg

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Heated bathroom floor on a timer, same with hot water recirculation pump on timer, plumbed bbq gas and fan or exhaust hood above. I like to cook and a upper end stove with a semi commercial hood and a minimum 10" exhaust pipe. I'm also happy with no carpet, all hardwood with rugs.

TaperPin

WKR
Insulation in every interior wall and 5/8” Sheetrock throughout makes a custom home feel and sound like a custom home.

Every custom with uninsulated 1/2” rock on the walls, I make the comment the walls remind me of low income housing, because they do and are no better. Often the installation labor cost of 5/8” rock is no different from 1/2”, the added material cost is reasonable and it changes the feel of the house. It requires door and window jams to be sized for it, but that’s common.

Unfaced fiberglass bats are dirt cheap and labor is minimal if the insulation contractor is used to doing it. Rock wool or wet blown cellulose is a much better sound insulator than fiberglass, but more expensive.

I’ve been a gc in nicer homes and spent most of my years as a lead finish carpenter in nicer homes and remodels so I’m a little biased, but nice trim installed and painted well really makes a house pop. Perfect door reveals, casing reveals that are consistent, moderately wide case and base installed straight and inline with the walls, scribed base to the floor, etc.

Solid core doors are standard in nicer houses, but there are often 3 different weights available.

OP
D

Delta21

FNG
Here is 14 pages of ideas

Thank you, I tried searching to see if already posted and didn’t find anything

Start making your paint, fixture, counter tops, and flooring choices now! It will make the build process smoother and faster. Take pics of houses you like to show your builder.

patio gas line is a must!

tony

WKR
You have dogs? Put a dog wash station in
Vault / secure storage in the basement or garage. Block or poured walls. Friend did this when he built his place. Put a sheet steel roof on it as well.

big44a4

WKR
Large garage space. Overall add should not be much. When I build my next house I’ll go a 3 car garage and shop or just 3-5k sqft garage. Plenty of room for all vehicles, boat, and gym for me.

manitou1

WKR
If on propane, have them run a line to the patio so you don't have to mess with tanks. Will save $ in the long run too.

Our last place had a bathroom and tub sinks in the shop. I sure miss it.
Now when working and all grimy in the shop I pee in a gatorade bottle to keep from dragging dirt and grime into the house throughout the day.

Lots if receptacles and lighting... especially in the garage/shop.

Covered porch(es). So nice.

Storage and pantry: You can never have enough.

Don't forget the reloading and gun room!😁

KurtR

WKR
Bigger garage with a toilet and sink with a nice counter.. A room in the garage just for my hunting stuff. An attached dog kennel with a couple runs so they can come in the heated garage in the winter . In floor heat in the garage along with the gas heater. Better layout of shelving in the garage. More lights in the garage. The house was what ever my wife wanted I got a reloading room in the basement.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Outlets, everywhere. Lights, everywhere. Gas line to back patio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you build on a slab, radiant heat is KILLER. My wife and I just finished building ours doing everything ourselves. Radiant heat is one of the best things we done. We did spray in closed cell insulation and glad we did. 3K sq ft and power bill is less $100 per month with mini split AC.
Already mentioned but another vote for standing seam metal roof.

SWOHTR

WKR
Put in a basement and put all the utilities down there. Donno if it’s a midwestern thing, but the amount of houses I’ve owned/lived at in CA, WA, ID, and RI, only one had a basement. Every house I lived in the Midwest had one. It’s like free space…dig the damn hole.