New Griff pup

6t4nova

WKR
Before you get your pup, join a couple Griff Facebook groups. Griffology is a good one, and there is a ton of good information on there from dedicated Griff parents. For example, potty training can be especially difficult for Griffs compared to other breeds, and they LOVE to eat socks! Also, you may already know this, but don't cut their hair! ;)

Griff Nation is another good one.

I joined the Hunting WPG group, will have to join the others. Any tips on the potty training lol

I joined the Hunting WPG group, will have to join the others. Any tips on the potty training lol
In my experience, you basically can't discipline a griff, really at all. It hurts there feelings.

Mine is treat crazy. So its just reward and praise the good.
They want to please you. You just have to help them understand.

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, you basically can't discipline a griff, really at all. It hurts there feelings.

Mine is treat crazy. So its just reward and praise the good.
They want to please you. You just have to help them understand.
Agree with this.

Take them outside as frequently as possible. Then reward every desired behavior. Kennel them at night. We had to get up two or three times through the night for the first 5 months to take him outside. Eventually he understood the program.

After the initial accident spell (which will happen), we put a small bell on a string hanging from the door knob. He learned pretty quick to hit it when he needed to go out. Still does.

10 months old now and he is a "potty outside" expert. lol

Agree with this.

Take them outside as frequently as possible. Then reward every desired behavior. Kennel them at night. We had to get up two or three times through the night for the first 5 months to take him outside. Eventually he understood the program.

After the initial accident spell (which will happen), we put a small bell on a string hanging from the door knob. He learned pretty quick to hit it when he needed to go out. Still does.

10 months old now and he is a "potty outside" expert. lol
The bell works, we did that too. Good tip!

It’s been a difficult adjustment for me to train Oscar after having 2 goldens. Not only do they get their feelings hurt, they are also incredibly stubborn. Negative reinforcement only takes you backwards.

Praise and treats are how to develop behaviors you want. However, that isn’t to say you can’t run a collar and nick them when necessary.

My biggest question to the gallery is how to break them of getting distracted by every tweety bird in every thicket. Nothing ruins a good stretch of a hunt faster for me.

It’s been a difficult adjustment for me to train Oscar after having 2 goldens. Not only do they get their feelings hurt, they are also incredibly stubborn. Negative reinforcement only takes you backwards.

Praise and treats are how to develop behaviors you want. However, that isn’t to say you can’t run a collar and nick them when necessary.

My biggest question to the gallery is how to break them of getting distracted by every tweety bird in every thicket. Nothing ruins a good stretch of a hunt faster for me.
I think it would be the same thing.
Work on a command "focus" or something.
Only reward if they are paying attention.

Lol but yeah its a whole thing.
And the ups guy 😲

MT257

WKR
I think it would be the same thing.
Work on a command "focus" or something.
Only reward if they are paying attention.

Lol but yeah its a whole thing.
And the ups guy 😲
The UPS guy for us too. The sound of that brown vehicle and ours thinks her longest lost friend is coming back to see her and play. Goes completey nuts. I don't get it.

The UPS guy for us too. The sound of that brown vehicle and ours thinks her longest lost friend is coming back to see her and play. Goes completey nuts. I don't get it.
Our guy gives them treats.
I can't even let them out anymore now. They attack the truck and im afraid they will get ran over.

MT257

WKR
Our guy gives them treats.
I can't even let them out anymore now. They attack the truck and im afraid they will get ran over.
Yes it is those treats they have. Has to be, not sure what kinda ingredients they put in those treats but dang its something else.

Mine gets separation anxiety and I don't have a clue.
Even w another dog out. Although the other dog doesn't really love her lol
Oscar has terrible separation anxiety. I can’t go outside without him whining, pacing, and raising hell. He won’t stop unless I actually leave, and then he still whines until I get home.

Oscar has terrible separation anxiety. I can’t go outside without him whining, pacing, and raising hell. He won’t stop unless I actually leave, and then he still whines until I get home.
Mines not to bad about that.
But more then an hour or 2 and there is gonna be shredded stuff.
She can't have things in her crate. Or even things she can pull in.
She just shreds.

jedi

FNG
My Tines is a total goof ball.
Idk if ill end up with a Griff again.
Personality is great but she doesn't do well in heat, and the snow sticks to her really bad as well.
But she is a very sweet pup.
View attachment 493372
get some mushers secret stuff for their feet. wax based product that help shed the snow off their feet. biggest issue weve had to deal with as far as snow/fur. great looking pup too btw

get some mushers secret stuff for their feet. wax based product that help shed the snow off their feet. biggest issue weve had to deal with as far as snow/fur. great looking pup too btw
Thanks.
Its her full beard, chest, really almost her entire body is snow balls. In minutes.

2ski

WKR
Great looking pup! I'm on a list w/ Riden High and hope to pick up mine this spring
I spoke to Dave when I was looking a year and a half ago. Good guy. We had a good conversation. I actually had a deposit with him if my first choice didn't have enough in the litter.
Before you get your pup, join a couple Griff Facebook groups. Griffology is a good one, and there is a ton of good information on there from dedicated Griff parents. For example, potty training can be especially difficult for Griffs compared to other breeds, and they LOVE to eat socks! Also, you may already know this, but don't cut their hair! ;)

Griff Nation is another good one.
Potty training was rough. It just takes time. Dog doors help. But it still takes time.

It's just learning. They get distracted by the tweets bird. They eventually figure out that's not what you're after. My dog still wants to chase some. He'll be 2 in February. He chases for a few seconds and then he starts hunting again.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
My first pup. I know it was only AKC’s JH pointer test (super easy) but the little guy got all 9’s and 10’s the other week so I was proud. You never know what’ll happen! Has his NAVHDA NA test next month and I hope it goes similarly well. I love how much personality griffs have. The dude is a trip.
1AD7D391-0A53-45C4-AF54-7A8644D54CEB.jpeg

My first pup. I know it was only AKC’s JH pointer test (super easy) but the little guy got all 9’s and 10’s the other week so I was proud. You never know what’ll happen! Has his NAVHDA NA test next month and I hope it goes similarly well. I love how much personality griffs have. The dude is a trip.
View attachment 534269

Nice looking dog. You were at awpga event in pa? What NAVHDA chapter are you testing at?

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Nice looking dog. You were at awpga event in pa? What NAVHDA chapter are you testing at?

Thank you! Sure was. Ran the gauntlet of 4 tests in 1 weekend lol. I'm a member of the Potomac NAVHDA chapter and will be testing there next month. I also signed up for the keystone chapter test in June in case he decides to, like, not jump in the water or something crazy.

Thank you! Sure was. Ran the gauntlet of 4 tests in 1 weekend lol. I'm a member of the Potomac NAVHDA chapter and will be testing there next month. I also signed up for the keystone chapter test in June in case he decides to, like, not jump in the water or something crazy.
My Oscar was hesitant to go in water to say the least. Once he learned its the only efficient way to cool his hot blooded butt off he launched in full bore.

Attachments

• 8E1C0FC7-3040-4C0C-AAE3-0D23CA84B759.jpeg
    8E1C0FC7-3040-4C0C-AAE3-0D23CA84B759.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 8A631A82-316B-4D18-872D-5F5D8FB28B58.jpeg
    8A631A82-316B-4D18-872D-5F5D8FB28B58.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 12